* [i845G] stuck in 1024x768
@ 2010-06-13 20:49 Felix Miata
       [not found] ` <04B3A0B9-30DF-48BF-AE10-7089C4F6279C@gmail.com>
From: Felix Miata @ 2010-06-13 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

Using openSUSE 11.3M7 (1.8.0 server/2.11.0 AFAICT) I've been unable to figure
out how to get the server to obey xorg.conf entries for NoDDC, NoRandr,
PreferredMode or DisplaySize. Is it no longer possible to get my choice of
resolution and DPI without reverting to one of the older X/driver versions
that was perfectly happy to do 2048x1536 on whatever size display (IOW,
whatever DPI I desire) I set it to use (and without _any_ modeline entries in
xorg.conf)?

Must I use /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d entries instead? If so, where are the HOWTO
and valid entries catalog located?

xorg.conf.new created by 'X -configure':
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.conf.new-t2240-os113-20100613a

xorg.conf as last modified by me:
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.conf-t2240-s113-20100613a

Xorg.0.log from last use of above xorg.conf:
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.0.log-t2240-s113-20100613a

Note: My display produces neither valid EDID nor valid DDC.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

* Re: [i845G] stuck in 1024x768
       [not found] ` <04B3A0B9-30DF-48BF-AE10-7089C4F6279C@gmail.com>
@ 2010-06-13 23:13   ` Felix Miata
From: Felix Miata @ 2010-06-13 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

On 2010/06/13 23:10 (GMT+0100) Andy Lutomirski composed:

> On Jun 13, 2010, at 9:49 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> Using openSUSE 11.3M7 (1.8.0 server/2.11.0 AFAICT) I've been unable
>> to figure
>> out how to get the server to obey xorg.conf entries for NoDDC,
>> NoRandr,
>> PreferredMode or DisplaySize. Is it no longer possible to get my
>> choice of
>> resolution and DPI without reverting to one of the older X/driver
>> versions
>> that was perfectly happy to do 2048x1536 on whatever size display
>> (IOW,
>> whatever DPI I desire) I set it to use (and without _any_ modeline
>> entries in
>> xorg.conf)?

>> Must I use /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d entries instead? If so, where are the HOWTO
>> and valid entries catalog located?

>> xorg.conf.new created by 'X -configure':
>> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.conf.new-t2240-os113-20100613a

>> xorg.conf as last modified by me:
>> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.conf-t2240-s113-20100613a

>> Xorg.0.log from last use of above xorg.conf:
>> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.0.log-t2240-s113-20100613a

>> Note: My display produces neither valid EDID nor valid DDC.

> Do xrandr --newmode and xrandr --addmode not work?

Not so far. 'xrandr' & 'xrandr -q' can't open display. xrandr --help scrolls
off the screen.  'xrandr --newmode `cvt 1600 1200`' produces syntax message.
http://linux.die.net/man/1/xrandr shows only terse syntax with no examples.
Google produced its usual zillion unhelpful hits, mostly about configuring
multiple displays. This and more is why I inquired here.

With xorg.conf as recently as last fall, no command line understanding was
required, only following any of many widely available instruction examples,
from which when correctly followed, X simply obeyed, _starting_up_ in the
desired mode, doing automatically whatever it is that now requires output
from gtf or cvt run separately beforehand.

Just as importantly, I've not yet figured out why anyone should have to do
manually (presuming they can even figure out how) what used to work
automatically. For years, no modelines were in xorg.conf were required, and X
just used the first usable entry on the applicable modes line in 'Section
"Screen"'. Later someone decided a PreferredMode entry in 'Section "Monitor"'
was required to perform the same function, but now it no longer works.

Supposedly the overhaul of X begun two years ago was to make
operation/startup/configuration (?more?) automatic, not less, but I, always
using Trinitron CRTs, have only observed quite the contrary so far. X for me
has regressed from the jet age back to piston engined biplanes without
electric starters.

@ 2010-06-14  0:40     ` Alan W. Irwin
From: Alan W. Irwin @ 2010-06-14  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Miata; +Cc: intel-gfx

On 2010-06-13 19:13-0400 Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2010/06/13 23:10 (GMT+0100) Andy Lutomirski composed:
>
>> On Jun 13, 2010, at 9:49 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>> Using openSUSE 11.3M7 (1.8.0 server/2.11.0 AFAICT) I've been unable
>>> to figure
>>> out how to get the server to obey xorg.conf entries for NoDDC,
>>> NoRandr,
>>> PreferredMode or DisplaySize.
[...]
>>> xorg.conf as last modified by me:
>>> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.conf-t2240-s113-20100613a

Hi Felix:

Here is how I configured PreferredMode _for an old server_ (Debian Lenny)
in the Monitor section:

#gtf 1024 768 85
# 1024x768 @ 85.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 68.60 kHz; pclk: 94.39 MHz
Modeline "1024x768_85.00"  94.39  1024 1088 1200 1376  768 769 772 807 -HSync + Vsync
Option "PreferredMode" "1024x768_85.00"

I found in the past that PreferredMode would not work with Intel if you used
a standard modeline name such as "PreferredMode" "1600x1200" like you do in
your xorg.conf.  Instead, I suggest you use gtf to calculate a 1600x1200
modeline, and use the generated non-standard modeline name with a suffix
corresponding to the vertical refresh rate.  No guarantees, but specifying a
special modeline like above with a non-standard modeline name was the only
way I could get PreferredMode to work in the past, and it is possible those
constraints on PreferredMode still apply for modern X servers.  Anyhow, it
is worth a try.

> Just as importantly, I've not yet figured out why anyone should have to do
> manually (presuming they can even figure out how) what used to work
> automatically. For years, no modelines were in xorg.conf were required, and X
> just used the first usable entry on the applicable modes line in 'Section
> "Screen"'. Later someone decided a PreferredMode entry in 'Section "Monitor"'
> was required to perform the same function, but now it no longer works.
>
> Supposedly the overhaul of X begun two years ago was to make
> operation/startup/configuration (?more?) automatic, not less, but I, always
> using Trinitron CRTs, have only observed quite the contrary so far. X for me
> has regressed from the jet age back to piston engined biplanes without
> electric starters.

Like you, I hope the Intel jet age comes back soon.

By the way, my 15-year old Trinitron finally gave up the ghost earlier this
year and I replaced it with an LED-backlit ASUS LCD for $130.  That was a
superb deal, and I can say that new monitor is better in all respects
(brightness, colours, resolution, and size) except for width of viewing
angle. However, I doubt very much it will last as long as Trinitrons do; the
Trinitrons are not that much worse in quality; and "use it up, wear it out"
philosophy helps the environment (and the bank balance).  Thus, I am hanging
on to my remaining 10-yr old Trinitron monitor until it also dies. That
particular monitor is attached to a computer with SIS video chipset (ugh),
but when that computer fails I won't replace it with Intel unless
PreferredMode works properly.  So I hope my suggestion above works for you,
but if not, I hope the Intel developers get PreferredMode working
properly again.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).