* [ANNOUNCE] ipset-6.0 released
@ 2011-02-03 12:59 Jozsef Kadlecsik
From: Jozsef Kadlecsik @ 2011-02-03 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter, netfilter-devel

Hi,

I'm happy to announce ipset 6.0, a new milestone of the tool. Here follows
the list of the changes since the previous release:

Kernel part changes:
 - Reorganized kernel/ subdir
 - netfilter: ipset: fix linking with CONFIG_IPV6=n (Patrick McHardy)
 - netfilter: ipset: send error message manually
 - netfilter: ipset: add missing break statemtns in
   ip_set_get_ip_port() (Patrick McHardy)
 - netfilter: ipset: add missing include to xt_set.h (Patrick McHardy)
 - netfilter: ipset: remove unnecessary includes (Patrick McHardy)
 - netfilter: ipset: use nla_parse_nested() (Patrick McHardy)
 - Separate ipset errnos completely from system ones and bump protocol
   version
 - Use better error codes in xt_set.c
 - Fix sparse warning about shadowed definition
 - bitmap:ip type: flavour specific adt functions (Patrick McHardy's
   review)
 - bitmap:port type: flavour specific adt functions (Patrick McHardy's
   review)
 - Move the type specifici attribute validation to the core
   (suggested by Patrick McHardy)
 - Use vzalloc() instead of __vmalloc() (Eric Dumazet, Patrick McHardy)
 - Use meaningful error messages in xt_set.c (Patrick McHardy's review)
 - Constified attribute cannot be written (Patrick McHardy's review)
 - Send (N)ACK at dumping only when NLM_F_ACK is set
   (Patrick McHardy's review)
 - Correct the error codes: use ENOENT and EMSGSIZE (Patrick McHardy's
   review)

Userspace changes:
 - Print protocol version together with ipset version
 - Testsuite compatibility with debugging enabled
 - Allow "new" as a commad alias to "create"
 - ipset: improve command argument parsing (Holger Eitzenberger)
 - ipset: avoid the unnecessary argv[] loop (Holger Eitzenberger)
 - ipset: pass ipset_arg argument pointer (Holger Eitzenberger)
 - Separate ipset errnos completely from system ones and bump protocol
   version
 - Fix the spelling error fix :-) (Ferenc Wagner)
 - Resolving IP addresses did not work at listing/saving sets, fixed
 - ipset: fix spelling error (Holger Eitzenberger)
 - ipset: fix the Netlink sequence number (Holger Eitzenberger)
 - ipset: turn Set name[] into a const pointer (Holger Eitzenberger)
 - Check ICMP and ICMPv6 with the set match and target in the testsuite
 - Avoid possible syntax clashing at saving hostnames

Please note, due to the protocol changes and the error number
reorganization, ipset 5.x and ipset 6.x are not compatible, i.e. user and
kernel parts cannot be mixed: those have to come from the same release.

You can download the source code from:
        http://ipset.netfilter.org
        ftp://ftp.netfilter.org/pub/ipset/
        git://git.netfilter.org/ipset.git

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@blackhole.kfki.hu, kadlec@mail.kfki.hu
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] ipset-6.0 released
@ 2011-02-03 17:07 ` Mr Dash Four
From: Mr Dash Four @ 2011-02-03 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jozsef Kadlecsik; +Cc: netfilter

> I'm happy to announce ipset 6.0, a new milestone of the tool. Here follows
> the list of the changes since the previous release:

I do have a couple of queries - I take it this version includes all the
patches you posted in this mailing list (which were duly ACKed) in the
previous couple of weeks, right? If so does that mean all kernel-related
modules are now excluded from this release or do I have to compile/build
them as was the case with all previous ipset versions?

The reason for asking this is simple - as it stands, I am building the
kernel modules separately from the userspace tool (using two separate
.spec files - in a similar fashion as it is done with the
xtables-addons), but would like to incorporate your kernel modules as
part of building the kernel and use just one spec file for building the
userspace tool without the need to do anything else.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] ipset-6.0 released
@ 2011-02-03 18:19   ` Jozsef Kadlecsik
From: Jozsef Kadlecsik @ 2011-02-03 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mr Dash Four; +Cc: netfilter

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Mr Dash Four wrote:

> > I'm happy to announce ipset 6.0, a new milestone of the tool. Here follows
> > the list of the changes since the previous release:
> >
> I do have a couple of queries - I take it this version includes all the
> patches you posted in this mailing list (which were duly ACKed) in the
> previous couple of weeks, right?

Yes.

> If so does that mean all kernel-related modules are now excluded from
> this release or do I have to compile/build them as was the case with all
> previous ipset versions?

You still have to compile the kernel modules from the source tree of ipset
(unless you use the nf-next-2.6 or net-next-2.6 git trees of Patrick
McHardy or David Miller).

When the kernel part will be available from the vanilla kernel tree, I'll
announce it and update the documentation in ipset as well.

> The reason for asking this is simple - as it stands, I am building the kernel
> modules separately from the userspace tool (using two separate .spec files -
> in a similar fashion as it is done with the xtables-addons), but would like to
> incorporate your kernel modules as part of building the kernel and use just
> one spec file for building the userspace tool without the need to do anything
> else.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-

@ 2011-02-03 20:23     ` Mr Dash Four
From: Mr Dash Four @ 2011-02-03 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jozsef Kadlecsik; +Cc: netfilter

> You still have to compile the kernel modules from the source tree of ipset
> (unless you use the nf-next-2.6 or net-next-2.6 git trees of Patrick
> McHardy or David Miller).

That, I assume, is the .38-rc version of the kernel, right?

> When the kernel part will be available from the vanilla kernel tree, I'll
> announce it and update the documentation in ipset as well.

Thanks, that's good to know!

I assume that if I create a separate .spec file (in Fedora terms) and
just try to build the userspace part of ipset v6.0 and then use the
.38-rc version of the kernel I would achieve the same result - is that
the case?