* git over https and http 1.1
@ 2011-05-18 12:46 Nir.Friedman
From: Nir.Friedman @ 2011-05-18 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I am using git with https as the transport protocol.
Response times were around 30 seconds before apache started processing the backend command.
I added the flags -  BrowserMatch "git"      downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
 to the apache conf file, and response times were fast.
This seems to mean that the libcurl library is not dealing correctly with HTTP 1/1 over SSL. Is this the best fix?
If so, maybe appropriate documentation should be added to the git setup docs.

* Re: git over https and http 1.1
@ 2011-05-19 20:31 ` Drew Northup
From: Drew Northup @ 2011-05-19 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nir.Friedman; +Cc: git

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 08:46 -0400, Nir.Friedman@greenhouse.lotus.com
wrote:
> I am using git with https as the transport protocol.
> Response times were around 30 seconds before apache started processing the backend command.
> I added the flags -  BrowserMatch "git"      downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
>  to the apache conf file, and response times were fast.
> This seems to mean that the libcurl library is not dealing correctly with HTTP 1/1 over SSL. Is this the best fix?
> If so, maybe appropriate documentation should be added to the git setup docs.--

Sounds a little drastic to me... Perhaps to find out what's going on you
might set up a test repo behind an STunnel instance and have a look at
the TCP/HTTP stream between them?

Perhaps Git+libcurl isn't using keep-alive? I'd have to check the code.

--
-Drew Northup
"As opposed to vegetable or mineral error?"

* Re: git over https and http 1.1
@ 2011-05-19 20:36   ` Daniel Stenberg
From: Daniel Stenberg @ 2011-05-19 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Northup; +Cc: Nir.Friedman, git

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Drew Northup wrote:

> Perhaps Git+libcurl isn't using keep-alive? I'd have to check the code.

They do. HTTP 1.1 even does "keep-alive" by default...

--

  / daniel.haxx.se

* Re: git over https and http 1.1
@ 2011-05-19 14:39 ` Peter Vereshagin
From: Peter Vereshagin @ 2011-05-19 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nir Friedman; +Cc: git

You'll never silence the voice of the voiceless, Nir!
2011/05/18 15:30:18 +0300 Nir Friedman <nirfri@hotmail.com> => To git@vger.kernel.org :
NF> I am using git with https as the transport protocol.
NF> Response times were around 30 seconds before apache started processing the
NF> backend command.
NF> I added the flags   [BrowserMatch "git"      downgrade-1.0
NF> force-response-1.0] to the apache conf file, and response times were fast.
NF> This seems to mean that the libcurl library is not dealing correctly with
NF> HTTP 1/1 over SSL. Is this the best fix?

It's very unlikely for curl to work bad with https.
Isn't it a DNS-related delay?

NF> If so, maybe appropriate documentation should be added to the git setup
NF> docs.

73! Peter pgp: A0E26627 (4A42 6841 2871 5EA7 52AB  12F8 0CE1 4AAC A0E2 6627)
--
http://vereshagin.org

* Re: git over https and http 1.1
@ 2011-05-18 12:41 ` Daniel Stenberg
From: Daniel Stenberg @ 2011-05-18 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nir Friedman; +Cc: git

On Wed, 18 May 2011, Nir Friedman wrote:

> I am using git with https as the transport protocol. Response times were
> around 30 seconds before apache started processing the backend command.

Can you please be a bit more elaborate on exactly what took that much time?
What is a "response time" in this context?

> I added the flags   [BrowserMatch "git"      downgrade-1.0
> force-response-1.0] to the apache conf file, and response times were fast.

How fast is "fast" compared to the previous 30 seconds?

> This seems to mean that the libcurl library is not dealing correctly with
> HTTP 1/1 over SSL.

I don't think that's what it means but I have to little data to go on. What
libcurl version are you using on what platform?

--

  / daniel.haxx.se

* git over https and http 1.1
@ 2011-05-18 12:30 Nir Friedman