* Master needs newer version of boost on centos?
@ 2014-02-14 23:39 Sandon Van Ness
From: Sandon Van Ness @ 2014-02-14 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel; +Cc: ben

The last couple builds of master have been failing on the centos
gitbuilder. here is the build log:

http://gitbuilder.sepia.ceph.com/gitbuilder-centos6-amd64/log.cgi?log=f47062d8a66b94743888aaea13e0766579379395

Its running into:

CXX mds/Capability.lo
CXX mds/Dumper.lo
In file included from client/Client.h:38,
from libcephfs.cc:21:

      error: client/barrier.h:25:38: boost/icl/interval_set.hpp: No such
      file or directory

It looks like its not effecting fedora gitbuilders that have a newer
version of boost but on centos/rhel the version is only 1.41.0-18. Is
there something we can do to get around this without back-porting or
will backporting a newer boost for rhel/centos be necessary?

* Re: Master needs newer version of boost on centos?
@ 2014-02-14 23:48 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2014-02-14 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sandon Van Ness; +Cc: matt, ceph-devel

Hey Matt,

This is in the libcephfs code I merged yesterday.  Any ideas?

Thanks!
sage

@ 2014-02-15  0:06   ` Matt W. Benjamin
From: Matt W. Benjamin @ 2014-02-15  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, Sandon Van Ness

oh, ok.  I think they need an extra boost rpm?

----- "Sage Weil" <sage@inktank.com> wrote:

> Hey Matt,
>
> This is in the libcephfs code I merged yesterday.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
> sage
>

> On Fri, 14 Feb 2014, Sandon Van Ness wrote:
>

> > The last couple builds of master have been failing on the centos
> gitbuilder.
> > here is the build log:
> >

> http://gitbuilder.sepia.ceph.com/gitbuilder-centos6-amd64/log.cgi?log=f47062d8a66b94743888aaea13e0766579379395
> >
> > Its running into:
> >
> > CXX mds/Capability.lo
> > CXX mds/Dumper.lo
> > In file included from client/Client.h:38,
> > from libcephfs.cc:21:
> >
> >      error: client/barrier.h:25:38: boost/icl/interval_set.hpp: No
> such
> >      file or directory
> >
> > It looks like its not effecting fedora gitbuilders that have a newer
> version
> > of boost but on centos/rhel the version is only 1.41.0-18. Is there
> something
> > we can do to get around this without back-porting or will
> backporting a newer
> > boost for rhel/centos be necessary?
> > --
> ceph-devel" in

Matt Benjamin
The Linux Box
206 South Fifth Ave. Suite 150
Ann Arbor, MI  48104

http://linuxbox.com

tel.  734-761-4689
fax.  734-769-8938
cel.  734-216-5309

* Re: Master needs newer version of boost on centos?
@ 2014-02-15  0:09     ` Matt W. Benjamin
From: Matt W. Benjamin @ 2014-02-15  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, Sandon Van Ness

but we haven't built on centos, to my knowledge...

@ 2014-02-15  0:13       ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2014-02-15  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt W. Benjamin; +Cc: ceph-devel, Sandon Van Ness

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014, Matt W. Benjamin wrote:
> but we haven't built on centos, to my knowledge...

I think the question is really: is there an interval_set in boost 1.41
that you can use, can you use something else instead, or do we need to do
a boost backport in order to build for centos/rhel 6.x?

sage

@ 2014-02-15  0:26         ` Matt W. Benjamin
From: Matt W. Benjamin @ 2014-02-15  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, Sandon Van Ness

according to google, 1.41 ahould have it.

--

@ 2014-02-15  0:28           ` Josh Durgin
From: Josh Durgin @ 2014-02-15  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt W. Benjamin, Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, Sandon Van Ness

ICL was added in 1.46 according to http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/.
This also fails on debian wheezy with only 1.42 available:

http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/7422

On 02/14/2014 04:26 PM, Matt W. Benjamin wrote:
> according to google, 1.41 ahould have it.
>
> ----- "Sage Weil" <sage@inktank.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2014, Matt W. Benjamin wrote:
>>> but we haven't built on centos, to my knowledge...
>>
>> I think the question is really: is there an interval_set in boost 1.41
>>
>> that you can use, can you use something else instead, or do we need to
>> do
>> a boost backport in order to build for centos/rhel 6.x?
>>
>> sage

>> centos
>>>>>>

>> http://gitbuilder.sepia.ceph.com/gitbuilder-centos6-amd64/log.cgi?log=f47062d8a66b94743888aaea13e0766579379395

>> boost/icl/interval_set.hpp:

>> ceph-devel"
>> http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Matt Benjamin
>>> The Linux Box
>>> 206 South Fifth Ave. Suite 150
>>> Ann Arbor, MI  48104
>>>
>>> http://linuxbox.com
>>>
>>> tel.  734-761-4689
>>> fax.  734-769-8938

@ 2014-02-15  0:44             ` Matt W. Benjamin
From: Matt W. Benjamin @ 2014-02-15  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Durgin; +Cc: ceph-devel, Sandon Van Ness, Sage Weil

yarg, sorry

@ 2014-02-17 17:35               ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2014-02-17 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt W. Benjamin; +Cc: Josh Durgin, ceph-devel, Sandon Van Ness

Hi Matt,

I pushed wip-interval-set, which replaces the boost interval_set with our
internal type.  As far as I can see it is only being used for
intersects(), which we support.  As long as the interval_set isn't
supposed to handle overlapping sets (ours doesn't) this should be fine.

I did notice one discrepancy where one user was passing in (start,
length) and the other was using (start, end).  I switched it to (start,
offset) (since that's what our class does) but didn't verify the semantics
were what was originally intended... can you take a look?

	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/1253

Thanks!
sage

@ 2014-02-17 17:38                 ` Matt W. Benjamin
From: Matt W. Benjamin @ 2014-02-17 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: Josh Durgin, ceph-devel, Sandon Van Ness

Hi Sage,

I originally used this, and it was replaced with the Boost version as part
of a bugfix.

Matt

--

@ 2014-02-17 17:41                   ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2014-02-17 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt W. Benjamin; +Cc: Josh Durgin, ceph-devel, Sandon Van Ness

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014, Matt W. Benjamin wrote:
> Hi Sage,
>
> I originally used this, and it was replaced with the Boost version as part
> of a bugfix.

I wonder if the bug was our internal class asserting because of an
overlapping interval due to the (start, end) thing?

@ 2014-02-17 17:47                     ` Matt W. Benjamin
From: Matt W. Benjamin @ 2014-02-17 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: Josh Durgin, ceph-devel, Sandon Van Ness

Hi,

I don't know, that's an interesting catch.  I guess it's not really feasible to do
anything accept ack this, for now.

Matt

--

@ 2014-02-17 18:01                       ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2014-02-17 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt W. Benjamin; +Cc: Josh Durgin, ceph-devel, Sandon Van Ness

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014, Matt W. Benjamin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know, that's an interesting catch.  I guess it's not really feasible to do
> anything accept ack this, for now.

Probably given that we need to be able to build, but really it comes
down to one questions and a sanity check:

- Does the (start,end) -> (start, length) fix look right?  AFAICS it's
coming straight from the caller, so it should only break something if the
external caller is also broken.

- Is span supposed to contain overlapping intervals?  If so, then our
internal type is not sufficient.

sage

@ 2014-02-17 18:39     ` Matt W. Benjamin
From: Matt W. Benjamin @ 2014-02-17 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)