* v0.80.8 and librbd performance
@ 2015-03-03 23:19 Sage Weil
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.00.1503031512270.25972-vIokxiIdD2AQNTJnQDzGJqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: Sage Weil @ 2015-03-03 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel, ceph-users

Hi,

This is just a heads up that we've identified a performance regression in
v0.80.8 from previous firefly releases.  A v0.80.9 is working it's way
through QA and should be out in a few days.  If you haven't upgraded yet
you may want to wait.

Thanks!
sage

* Re: v0.80.8 and librbd performance
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.00.1503031512270.25972-vIokxiIdD2AQNTJnQDzGJqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-03-03 23:28   ` Ken Dreyer
From: Ken Dreyer @ 2015-03-03 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil, ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

On 03/03/2015 04:19 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is just a heads up that we've identified a performance regression in
> v0.80.8 from previous firefly releases.  A v0.80.9 is working it's way
> through QA and should be out in a few days.  If you haven't upgraded yet
> you may want to wait.
>
> Thanks!
> sage

Hi Sage,

I've seen a couple Redmine tickets on this (eg
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/9854 ,
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/10956). It's not totally clear to me
which of the 70+ unreleased commits on the firefly branch fix this
librbd issue.  Is it only the three commits in
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/3410 , or are there more?

- Ken

* Re: v0.80.8 and librbd performance
@ 2015-03-03 23:56     ` Yuri Weinstein
From: Yuri Weinstein @ 2015-03-03 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Dreyer; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel, ceph-users

Ken

PLs se http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/10641 for more details

Thx
YuriW

@ 2015-03-04  0:01   ` Olivier Bonvalet
From: Olivier Bonvalet @ 2015-03-04  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

Does kernel client affected by the problem ?

@ 2015-03-04  0:32     ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2015-03-04  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Bonvalet; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users

On Wed, 4 Mar 2015, Olivier Bonvalet wrote:
> Does kernel client affected by the problem ?

Nope.  The kernel client is unaffected.. the issue is in librbd.

sage

@ 2015-03-04  0:41       ` Olivier Bonvalet
From: Olivier Bonvalet @ 2015-03-04  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users

Le mardi 03 mars 2015 à 16:32 -0800, Sage Weil a écrit :
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2015, Olivier Bonvalet wrote:
> > Does kernel client affected by the problem ?
>
> Nope.  The kernel client is unaffected.. the issue is in librbd.
>
> sage

Ok, thanks for the clarification.
So I have to dig !

* Re: v0.80.8 and librbd performance
@ 2015-03-04 19:53     ` Josh Durgin
       [not found]       ` <54F762C3.2030608-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Josh Durgin @ 2015-03-04 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Dreyer, Sage Weil, ceph-devel, ceph-users

On 03/03/2015 03:28 PM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> On 03/03/2015 04:19 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is just a heads up that we've identified a performance regression in
>> v0.80.8 from previous firefly releases.  A v0.80.9 is working it's way
>> through QA and should be out in a few days.  If you haven't upgraded yet
>> you may want to wait.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> sage
>
> Hi Sage,
>
> I've seen a couple Redmine tickets on this (eg
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/9854 ,
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/10956). It's not totally clear to me
> which of the 70+ unreleased commits on the firefly branch fix this
> librbd issue.  Is it only the three commits in
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/3410 , or are there more?

Those are the only ones needed to fix the librbd performance
regression, yes.

Josh

@ 2015-04-14 12:53         ` shiva rkreddy
From: shiva rkreddy @ 2015-04-14 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Durgin; +Cc: Sage Weil, Ceph Development, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

Hi Josh,

We are using firefly 0.80.9 and see both cinder create/delete numbers slow
down compared 0.80.7.
I don't see any specific tuning requirements and our cluster is run pretty
much on default configuration.
Do you recommend any tuning or can you please suggest some log signatures
we need to be looking at?

Thanks
shiva

       [not found]     ` <CAPntomB=AiCtx2ypTi+fUFUCUDtkyURb=d-RgwX3ft2mrAibEA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-04-15  5:22       ` Josh Durgin
From: Josh Durgin @ 2015-04-15  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shiva rkreddy; +Cc: Sage Weil, Ceph Development, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

On 04/14/2015 08:01 PM, shiva rkreddy wrote:
> The clusters are in test environment, so its a new deployment of 0.80.9.
> OS on the cluster nodes is reinstalled as well, so there shouldn't be
> any fs aging unless the disks are slowing down.
>
> The perf measurement is done initiating multiple cinder create/delete
> commands and tracking the volume to be in available or completely gone
> from "cinder list" output.
>
> Even running  "rbd rm " command from cinder node results in similar
> behaviour.
>
> I'll try with  increasing  rbd_concurrent_management in ceph.conf.
>   Is the param name rbd_concurrent_management or rbd-concurrent-management ?

'rbd concurrent management ops' - spaces, hyphens, and underscores are
equivalent in ceph configuration.

A log with 'debug ms = 1' and 'debug rbd = 20' from 'rbd rm' on both
versions might give clues about what's going slower.

Josh

@ 2015-04-15  4:27       ` shiva rkreddy
From: shiva rkreddy @ 2015-04-15  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Durgin; +Cc: Sage Weil, Ceph Development, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

Retried the test with by setting: rbd_concurrent_management_ops and
rbd-concurrent-management-ops to 20 (default 10?) and didn't see any
difference in the delete time.

Steps:
1. Create 20, 500GB volumes
2. run : rbd -n clientkey -p cindervols rbd rm $volumeId &
3. run rbd ls command in with 1 second sleep and capture output  : rbd -n
clientkey -p cindervols rbd ls

It took the same amount of time to remove all entries in the pool when the
ops setting was default.

Thanks

       [not found] ` <bb7a4f02-e495-4d69-961f-b0f970b407d1-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-04-15  3:01   ` shiva rkreddy