* Re: Ceph code tests / teuthology
       [not found] <06681238D8946F44A60AA400760A1CBF01F237CC@SHSMSX104.ccr.corp.intel.com>
@ 2015-04-13  9:18 ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-04-13  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhou, Yuan; +Cc: Ceph Development, Zack Cerza

On 13/04/2015 04:39, Zhou, Yuan wrote:> Hi Loic,

> I’m trying to setup an internal Teuthology cluster here. I was able to setup a 3 node cluster now. however there’s not much docs and I’m confused about some questions here:
>

> 1)      how does Ceph upstream do tests? Currently I see there’s a) Jekins(make check on each PR)

Yes.

The teuthology tests are run either by cron jobs or by people. http://pulpito.ceph.com/. They are not run on pull request.

> 2)      Teuthology automatically fetch the binary files from gitbuilder.ceph.com currently. However the binary will not be built for each pull request?

Right. Teuthology can be pointed to an alternate repository but there is a catch: it needs to have the same naming conventions as gitbuilder.ceph.com. These naming convention are not documented (as far as I know) and you would need to read the code to figure them out. When I tried to customize the repository, I replaced the code locating the repository with something that was configurable instead (reading the yaml file). But I did it in a hackish way and did not take the time to figure out how to contribute that back properly.

> 3)      Can Teuthology working on VMs? I got some info from your blog, looks like you’re running Teuthology on a Openstack/Docker.

The easiest way is to prepare three VMs and make sure you can ssh to them without password. You then create a targets.yaml file with these three machines. And you can run a single job that will use them. It will save you the trouble of setting up a full teuthology cluster (I think http://dachary.org/?p=2204 is still mostly valid). The downside is that it only allows you to run a single job at a time and will not allow you to run teuthology-suite to schedule a number of jobs and have them wait in the queue.

I'm not actually using the docker backend I hacked together, therefore I don't recommend you try this route, unless you have a week or two to devote to it.

> 4)      If I have a working Teuthology cluster now, how do I start a full run? or only the workunits/* is good enough?

For instance:

./virtualenv/bin/teuthology-suite --filter-out btrfs,ext4 --priority 1000 --suite rados --suite-branch giant --machine-type plana,burnupi,mira --distro ubuntu --email abhishek.lekshmanan@gmail.com --owner abhishek.lekshmanan@gmail.com --ceph giant-backports

http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11153 contains many examples of how teuthology is run to test stable releases.

The easiest way to create a single job probably is to run ./virtualenv/bin/teuthology-suite : it will output calls to teuthology that you can probalby copy / paste to run a single job. I've not tried that and went a more difficult route instead (manually assembling yaml files to create a job).

Zack will probably have more hints and advices on how to run your own teuthology suite.

Cheers

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

* RE: Ceph code tests / teuthology
@ 2015-04-24 13:57   ` Zhou, Yuan
From: Zhou, Yuan @ 2015-04-24 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development, Zack Cerza

Hi Loic/Zack,

So I've got some progress here. I was able to run a single job with teuthology xxx.yaml targets.yaml.
From the code,  teuthology-suite needs to query the lock-server for some machine info, like os_type, platform. Is there any documents for the lock-server?

Thanks, -yuan

--

@ 2015-04-24 16:02     ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2015-04-24 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhou, Yuan; +Cc: Loic Dachary, Ceph Development, Zack Cerza

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015, Zhou, Yuan wrote:
> Hi Loic/Zack,
>
> So I've got some progress here. I was able to run a single job with
> teuthology xxx.yaml targets.yaml. From the code, teuthology-suite needs
> to query the lock-server for some machine info, like os_type, platform.
> Is there any documents for the lock-server?

You can skip these checks with

 check-locks: false

in the job yaml.

sage

@ 2015-04-24 16:10       ` Zack Cerza
From: Zack Cerza @ 2015-04-24 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: Yuan Zhou, Loic Dachary, Ceph Development

If you're scheduling jobs with teuthology-suite *and* disabling locking, my guess is you're in for an adventure.

The lock server is called paddles:
 https://github.com/ceph/paddles/

The setup instructions are up-to-date but note that the API docs are not (but you shouldn't need those anyway).

There are additional docs covering new lab setup here:
 http://ceph.com/teuthology/docs/LAB_SETUP.html

Thanks,

@ 2015-04-25  1:11         ` Zhou, Yuan
From: Zhou, Yuan @ 2015-04-25  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Cerza, Sage Weil; +Cc: Loic Dachary, Ceph Development

Sage/Zack, Thanks for the info!

I did tested with check-locks: false when using teuthology-suite, but teuthology is warning some machine_type things. Checking the code looks like it's related with lock-server.
So paddles are both lock server and results server! I missed that in my testing. Thanks for the setup doc, I'm going to have another try.

Thanks, -yuan