* Request for static uid/gid for ceph
@ 2015-04-15 17:10 Gaudenz Steinlin
From: Gaudenz Steinlin @ 2015-04-15 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: base-passwd
  Cc: Sage Weil, Tim Serong, ceph-devel, Ken Dreyer, ceph-maintainers, timm

Hi

Ceph is currently developing unprivileged user support, and the upstream
developers are asking each of the distros to allocate a static numerical
UID for the "ceph" user and group.

The reason for the static number is to allow Ceph users to hot-swap hard
drives from one OSD server to another. Currently this practice works
because Ceph writes its files as "uid 0", but when Ceph starts writing
its files as an unprivileged user, it will be nice to allow
administrators to unplug a drive and plug it into another computer and
everything to just work.

For this I'm requesting an uid and gid from the reserved range
60000-64999 according to the process outlined in
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/cjwatson/base-passwd.git/tree/README.

Thanks,
Gaudenz

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Request for static uid/gid for ceph
@ 2015-05-04 13:00 ` Gaudenz Steinlin
From: Gaudenz Steinlin @ 2015-05-04 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: base-passwd; +Cc: timm, ceph-maintainers, ceph-devel

Hi base-passwd maintainers

Did you receive the request below? Anything I need to do to get it
processed? Any estimate how long it will take until I get a decision?

Thanks for your work

Gaudenz

@ 2015-05-15 10:24 ` Colin Watson
From: Colin Watson @ 2015-05-15 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaudenz Steinlin
  Cc: base-passwd, Sage Weil, Tim Serong, ceph-devel, Ken Dreyer,
	ceph-maintainers, timm

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 07:10:16PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Ceph is currently developing unprivileged user support, and the upstream
> developers are asking each of the distros to allocate a static numerical
> UID for the "ceph" user and group.
>
> The reason for the static number is to allow Ceph users to hot-swap hard
> drives from one OSD server to another. Currently this practice works
> because Ceph writes its files as "uid 0", but when Ceph starts writing
> its files as an unprivileged user, it will be nice to allow
> administrators to unplug a drive and plug it into another computer and
> everything to just work.
>
> For this I'm requesting an uid and gid from the reserved range
> 60000-64999 according to the process outlined in
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/cjwatson/base-passwd.git/tree/README.

Sorry for the delay.  This seems entirely reasonable; I've allocated
uid/gid 64045, which you'll now find in the git tree above.  I haven't
uploaded base-passwd with this yet, but you can go ahead and make use of
this immediately in Debian/Ubuntu without needing to wait for an upload.

* Re: Request for static uid/gid for ceph
@ 2015-05-15 15:24   ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2015-05-15 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Watson
  Cc: Gaudenz Steinlin, base-passwd, Tim Serong, ceph-devel,
	Ken Dreyer, ceph-maintainers, timm

On Fri, 15 May 2015, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 07:10:16PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> > Ceph is currently developing unprivileged user support, and the upstream
> > developers are asking each of the distros to allocate a static numerical
> > UID for the "ceph" user and group.
> >
> > The reason for the static number is to allow Ceph users to hot-swap hard
> > drives from one OSD server to another. Currently this practice works
> > because Ceph writes its files as "uid 0", but when Ceph starts writing
> > its files as an unprivileged user, it will be nice to allow
> > administrators to unplug a drive and plug it into another computer and
> > everything to just work.
> >
> > For this I'm requesting an uid and gid from the reserved range
> > 60000-64999 according to the process outlined in
> > https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/cjwatson/base-passwd.git/tree/README.
>
> Sorry for the delay.  This seems entirely reasonable; I've allocated
> uid/gid 64045, which you'll now find in the git tree above.  I haven't
> uploaded base-passwd with this yet, but you can go ahead and make use of
> this immediately in Debian/Ubuntu without needing to wait for an upload.

Excellent!  Thanks, Colin!

sage