* [CEPH] OSD daemons running with a large number of threads
@ 2015-11-17  8:28 ghislain.chevalier
From: ghislain.chevalier @ 2015-11-17  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi,

Context:
Firefly 0.80.9
Ubuntu 14.04.1
Almost a production platform  in an openstack environment
176 OSD (SAS and SSD), 2 crushmap-oriented storage classes , 8 servers in 2 rooms, 3 monitors on openstack controllers
Usage: Rados Gateway for object service and RBD as back-end for Cinder and Glance

Issue:
We are currently running performances tests on this cluster before turning it to production.
We created cinder volumes (attached to Ceph Back End) on virtual machines and we use FIO to stress the cluster.
A very large number of threads are created per OSD daemon (about 1000).

I would like to identify the cause of this behavior and to be guided in tuning the environment (ceph, linux, network,...).

Best regards

France Telecom - Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci

they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorization.
As emails may be altered, France Telecom - Orange shall not be liable if this message was modified, changed or falsified.
Thank you.

* Re: [CEPH] OSD daemons running with a large number of threads
@ 2015-11-17 13:40 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2015-11-17 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ghislain.chevalier; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015, ghislain.chevalier@orange.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Context:
> Firefly 0.80.9
> Ubuntu 14.04.1
> Almost a production platform  in an openstack environment
> 176 OSD (SAS and SSD), 2 crushmap-oriented storage classes , 8 servers in 2 rooms, 3 monitors on openstack controllers
> Usage: Rados Gateway for object service and RBD as back-end for Cinder and Glance
>
> Issue:
> We are currently running performances tests on this cluster before turning it to production.
> We created cinder volumes (attached to Ceph Back End) on virtual machines and we use FIO to stress the cluster.
> A very large number of threads are created per OSD daemon (about 1000).

This is normal.  The init scripts set the max open files ulimit to a high
value (usually 4194304 to avoid any possibility of hitting it) but you may
need to set /proc/sys/kernel/pid_max to something big if your cluster is
large.

sage

* RE: [CEPH] OSD daemons running with a large number of threads
@ 2015-11-19 15:49   ` ghislain.chevalier
From: ghislain.chevalier @ 2015-11-19 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

Hi,