* Client still connect failed leader after that mon down
@ 2015-12-17  9:56 Jaze Lee
From: Jaze Lee @ 2015-12-17  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hello cephers:
    In our test, there are three monitors. We find client run ceph
command will slow when the leader mon is down. Even after long time, a
client run ceph command will also slow in first time.
From strace, we find that the client first to connect the leader, then
after 3s, it connect the second.
After some search we find that the quorum is not change, the leader is
still the down monitor.
Is that normal?  Or is there something i miss?

Thanks a lot

--
谦谦君子

* Re: Client still connect failed leader after that mon down
@ 2015-12-17 13:27 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2015-12-17 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaze Lee; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015, Jaze Lee wrote:
> Hello cephers:
>     In our test, there are three monitors. We find client run ceph
> command will slow when the leader mon is down. Even after long time, a
> client run ceph command will also slow in first time.
> >From strace, we find that the client first to connect the leader, then
> after 3s, it connect the second.
> After some search we find that the quorum is not change, the leader is
> still the down monitor.
> Is that normal?  Or is there something i miss?

It's normal.  Even when the quorum does change, the client doesn't
know that.  It should be contacting a random mon on startup, though, so I
would expect the 3s delay 1/3 of the time.

A long-standing low-priority feature request is to have the client contact
2 mons in parallel so that it can still connect quickly if one is down.
It's requires some non-trivial work in mon/MonClient.{cc,h} though and I
don't think anyone has looked at it seriously.

sage

* Re: Client still connect failed leader after that mon down
@ 2015-12-18  3:41   ` Jevon Qiao
From: Jevon Qiao @ 2015-12-18  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil, Jaze Lee; +Cc: ceph-devel

On 17/12/15 21:27, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2015, Jaze Lee wrote:
>> Hello cephers:
>>      In our test, there are three monitors. We find client run ceph
>> command will slow when the leader mon is down. Even after long time, a
>> client run ceph command will also slow in first time.
>> >From strace, we find that the client first to connect the leader, then
>> after 3s, it connect the second.
>> After some search we find that the quorum is not change, the leader is
>> still the down monitor.
>> Is that normal?  Or is there something i miss?
> It's normal.  Even when the quorum does change, the client doesn't
> know that.  It should be contacting a random mon on startup, though, so I
> would expect the 3s delay 1/3 of the time.
That's because client randomly picks up a mon from Monmap. But what we
observed is that when a mon is down no change is made to monmap(neither
the epoch nor the members). Is it the culprit for this phenomenon?

Thanks,
Jevon

@ 2015-12-21  2:55     ` Zhi Zhang
       [not found]       ` <CAKZcxge7gaa7A5M=dg1Ri3WQ9UY7CP0RMenZrHUhGOjQVx7H1Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Zhi Zhang @ 2015-12-21  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jevon Qiao; +Cc: Sage Weil, Jaze Lee, ceph-devel

Which msg type and ceph version are you using?

Once we used 0.94.1 with async msg, we encountered similar issue.
Client was trying to connect a down monitor when it was just started
and this connection would hung there. This is because previous async
msg used blocking connection mode.

After we back ported non-blocking mode of async msg from higher ceph
version, we haven't encountered such issue yet.

Regards,
Zhi Zhang (David)
Contact: zhang.david2011@gmail.com
              zhangz.david@outlook.com

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 11:41 AM, Jevon Qiao <scaleqiao@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/12/15 21:27, Sage Weil wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 17 Dec 2015, Jaze Lee wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello cephers:
>>>      In our test, there are three monitors. We find client run ceph
>>> command will slow when the leader mon is down. Even after long time, a
>>> client run ceph command will also slow in first time.
>>> after 3s, it connect the second.
>>> After some search we find that the quorum is not change, the leader is
>>> still the down monitor.
>>> Is that normal?  Or is there something i miss?
>>
>> It's normal.  Even when the quorum does change, the client doesn't
>> know that.  It should be contacting a random mon on startup, though, so I
>> would expect the 3s delay 1/3 of the time.
>
> That's because client randomly picks up a mon from Monmap. But what we
> observed is that when a mon is down no change is made to monmap(neither the
> epoch nor the members). Is it the culprit for this phenomenon?
>
> Thanks,
> Jevon
>
>> A long-standing low-priority feature request is to have the client contact
>> 2 mons in parallel so that it can still connect quickly if one is down.
>> It's requires some non-trivial work in mon/MonClient.{cc,h} though and I
>> don't think anyone has looked at it seriously.
>>
>> sage
>>
>> --

* Fwd: Client still connect failed leader after that mon down
       [not found]         ` <CAKZcxgf+Ghr9TVFAJhs3nQfY==uy6XrtJ-FuT6LCjBK3cGkc5w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2015-12-21  9:49           ` Zhi Zhang
From: Zhi Zhang @ 2015-12-21  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel, Sage Weil

From: Sage Weil @ 2015-12-21 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhi Zhang; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015, Zhi Zhang wrote:
> Regards,
> Zhi Zhang (David)
> Contact: zhang.david2011@gmail.com
>               zhangz.david@outlook.com

Yep, that's a typo. Do you mind submitting a patch to fix it?

Thanks!
sage