* why i'm being so annoyingly pedantic about nitpicky details
@ 2012-03-30 10:31 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-03-30 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

  i realize many of my questions are and will be spectacularly
nitpicky but the motivation here is that i and a buddy of mine from
wind river are going to be submitting a proposal to this year's ottawa
linux symposium for a 1/2-day tutorial on OE/bitbake/yocto, so i want
to make absolutely sure i'm clear on the fundamentals and can explain
the contents and mechanics of any part of OE.  which means i have a
lot of work to do in the next little while.

  in other words, there will be more pedantry, but the end result will
be released as cc-by-sa, so consider it an investment. :-)

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: why i'm being so annoyingly pedantic about nitpicky details
@ 2012-03-30 10:58 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2012-03-30 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Friday 30 March 2012 06:31:39 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i realize many of my questions are and will be spectacularly
> nitpicky but the motivation here is that i and a buddy of mine from
> wind river are going to be submitting a proposal to this year's ottawa
> linux symposium for a 1/2-day tutorial on OE/bitbake/yocto, so i want
> to make absolutely sure i'm clear on the fundamentals and can explain
> the contents and mechanics of any part of OE.  which means i have a
> lot of work to do in the next little while.
>
>   in other words, there will be more pedantry, but the end result will
> be released as cc-by-sa, so consider it an investment. :-)

I would say please don't stop doing what you're doing. We may sound impatient
in our replies sometimes but I think what you are doing is really valuable -
there are some inconsistencies in our documentation and our metadata and we
ought to get them all ironed out.

I guess the only difficult thing at this precise point in time is that a lot of
us are busy with stabilisation work, thus we might not have as much time to
sort these things out or even respond fully to your queries as we would like.
If anything doesn't get fixed (particularly in the metadata) we should
definitely try to make sure it gets addressed during the next development
cycle.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: why i'm being so annoyingly pedantic about nitpicky details
@ 2012-03-30 11:18   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-03-30 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> On Friday 30 March 2012 06:31:39 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   i realize many of my questions are and will be spectacularly
> > nitpicky but the motivation here is that i and a buddy of mine
> > from wind river are going to be submitting a proposal to this
> > year's ottawa linux symposium for a 1/2-day tutorial on
> > OE/bitbake/yocto, so i want to make absolutely sure i'm clear on
> > the fundamentals and can explain the contents and mechanics of any
> > part of OE.  which means i have a lot of work to do in the next
> > little while.
> >
> >   in other words, there will be more pedantry, but the end result
> > will be released as cc-by-sa, so consider it an investment. :-)
>
> I would say please don't stop doing what you're doing. We may sound
> impatient in our replies sometimes but I think what you are doing is
> really valuable - there are some inconsistencies in our
> documentation and our metadata and we ought to get them all ironed
> out.

  i *think* what i'm trying to do is figure out best practices.  it's
obvious that OE-core has evolved and while newer and better constructs
were introduced, the "old" way of doing things stuck around simply
because it still worked fine, which is entirely understandable.

  but if i want to do a good job in this tutorial, i really want to
emphasize the *current* way of doing things, even if one still runs
across lots of historical code in the source.

  couple actual examples and more questions coming shortly.

@ 2012-03-30 12:19 ` Eric Bénard
From: Eric Bénard @ 2012-03-30 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Le Fri, 30 Mar 2012 06:31:39 -0400 (EDT),
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> a écrit :
>   in other words, there will be more pedantry, but the end result will
> be released as cc-by-sa, so consider it an investment. :-)

I hope that openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org will be mentioned
as one of the precious author's assistant ;-)

Eric

* Re: why i'm being so annoyingly pedantic about nitpicky details
@ 2012-03-30 16:59   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-03-30 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer