* [U-Boot] trying to understand u-boot-nand.ais file for AM1808 exp kit
@ 2013-02-18 18:15 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2013-02-18 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

  i hope someone here can clear up what should be a simple question --
i'm trying to figure out what exactly is going on when building and
flashing a u-boot image for my new AM1808 experimenter kit or, more
accurately, someone else's modified version where the 8M of NOR flash
has been replaced with 2G of NAND flash.

  i've downloaded the DaVinci PSP SDK (v03.22.00.02) and i'm trying to
figure out what the prebuilt u-boot images mean, and what it means to
flash them.

  the earlier PSP SDK used separate "ubl" and "u-boot" images, so i've
seen examples of using the supplied windows-based sfh_OMAP-L138.exe
utility to flash the board, in that it had to reference both binary
files since, with that earlier PSP SDK, they were separate objects.

  with this current SDK, the build now creates a combination image, as
explained in the User's Guide:

  "U-Boot included in this release will replace the UBL which was
being used to copy U-Boot to external RAM."

  the contents of the ready-to-flash images directory in this PSP SDK
is:

u-boot-mmcsd.ais
u-boot-mmcsd.bin
u-boot-nand.ais
u-boot-nor.bin
u-boot-spi.ais

so my questions are:

1) when one "flashes" these images to the board, where exactly are
they being placed? in some SPI flash of some kind totally separate
from the main NOR (or, in this case, NAND) flash?

2) given that the standard NOR flash has been replaced with NAND,
which (now single) u-boot image file should i be flashing? i *think*,
from the user guide, it would be u-boot-nand.ais, as the command for
flashing to NAND flash is given as:

  > ..\sfh_OMAP-L138.exe -flash_noubl -flashType NAND <u-boot AIS file>

it's just not clear what command i'd use for this situation, and where
that single u-boot image would end up.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* [U-Boot] trying to understand u-boot-nand.ais file for AM1808 exp kit
@ 2013-02-18 19:16 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2013-02-18 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 01:15:13PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i hope someone here can clear up what should be a simple question --
> i'm trying to figure out what exactly is going on when building and
> flashing a u-boot image for my new AM1808 experimenter kit or, more
> accurately, someone else's modified version where the 8M of NOR flash
> has been replaced with 2G of NAND flash.
>
>   i've downloaded the DaVinci PSP SDK (v03.22.00.02) and i'm trying to
> figure out what the prebuilt u-boot images mean, and what it means to
> flash them.

OK, for "PSP" related questions, please head to http://e2e.ti.com and
poke the TI folks involved.

That said, the da850_am18xxevm target in mainline works on the AM1808.
The file board/davinci/da8xxevm/README.da850 documents the how and why
and ought to be fine for NAND and was fine for SPI last time I had mine
hooked up.

--
Tom