* [GSoC]about the task "Share a page in memory from the VM config file"
@ 2017-03-01 11:54 Sky Liu
From: Sky Liu @ 2017-03-01 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini, Julien Grall; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi, there.

I'm a student majoring in Information Security in HUST and I'm interested
in Xen's GSoC project on adding page sharing support in the VM config file.

I've been working in the CGCL lab in HUST for one year and a half, and my
interests include cloud security, SDN and virtualization. I've always been
interested in the  Linux kernel and have previously worked with Xen during
a research project about mitigating the security issues brought by VM
rollbacks. So I was attracted by this project at the first sight.

But I'm still not very familiar with the Xen code base, so I'm wondering if
you could give me some suggestions on where to get started. I think the
best way to get familiar with a project is to submit small patches, so I
will appreciate it if you could tell me some smaller related tasks that I
can get involved in prior to my formal application for the project.

Best regards,

Zhongze Liu.

* Re: [GSoC]about the task "Share a page in memory from the VM config file"
@ 2017-03-01 19:36 ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2017-03-01 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sky Liu; +Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini, lars.kurth

On Wed, 1 Mar 2017, Sky Liu wrote:
> Hi, there.
> I'm a student majoring in Information Security in HUST and I'm interested in Xen's
> GSoC project on adding page sharing support in the VM config file.
>
> I've been working in the CGCL lab in HUST for one year and a half, and my interests
> include cloud security, SDN and virtualization. I've always been interested in the
>  Linux kernel and have previously worked with Xen during a research project about
> mitigating the security issues brought by VM rollbacks. So I was attracted by this
> project at the first sight.
>
> But I'm still not very familiar with the Xen code base, so I'm wondering if you
> could give me some suggestions on where to get started. I think the best way to get
> familiar with a project is to submit small patches, so I will appreciate it if you
> could tell me some smaller related tasks that I can get involved in prior to my
> formal application for the project.

Thank you for your interest in this project and Xen!

Firstly, I would recommend to install Xen from source on your test
machine. If you don't have a test machine, you could install it on your
laptop. Alternatively, Xen on ARM works well on the Cubietruck, also
known as Cubieboard 2 [1][2]. Finally, Xen works also well on top of Xen
or KVM virtual machines on x86 (nested virtualization), so that would be
another way to test it.

I fully agree that the best way to get started is by submitting small
patches.  We'll get back to you soon with some examples of potential
small fixes to do. In the meantime, I encourage you to setup a dev and
test environment.

[1] https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Allwinner
[2] http://www.cubietruck.com/collections/frontpage/products/cubietruck-cubieboard3-cortex-a7-dual-core-2gb-ram-8gb-flash-with-wifi-bt-1

* Re: [GSoC]about the task "Share a page in memory from the VM config file"
@ 2017-03-03 17:13   ` Sky Liu
From: Sky Liu @ 2017-03-03 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini; +Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, lars.kurth

> Thank you for your interest in this project and Xen!
>
> Firstly, I would recommend to install Xen from source on your test
> machine. If you don't have a test machine, you could install it on your
> laptop. Alternatively, Xen on ARM works well on the Cubietruck, also
> known as Cubieboard 2 [1][2]. Finally, Xen works also well on top of Xen
> or KVM virtual machines on x86 (nested virtualization), so that would be
> another way to test it.
>
> I fully agree that the best way to get started is by submitting small
> patches.  We'll get back to you soon with some examples of potential
> small fixes to do. In the meantime, I encourage you to setup a dev and
> test environment.
>

> [1] https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Allwinner
> [2] http://www.cubietruck.com/collections/frontpage/products/cubietruck-cubieboard3-cortex-a7-dual-core-2gb-ram-8gb-flash-with-wifi-bt-1

Hi, Stefano Stabellini.

Thanks for getting back to me and sorry for my late reply.

I've already set up the development environment on my ArchLinux
laptop(ASUS A555L),
 with the following uname -a:
     Linux sky-arch 4.9.11-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Feb 19 13:45:52
UTC 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I've also installed and tested it out, and it works quite normally.
In order to make things work on ArchLinux,
I've written two scripts to assist the build and install process.
(See: https://gist.github.com/blackskygg/2c1f63de6b96f035976dd44aaa39170b).

Hope to hear back from you soon.

@ 2017-03-03 19:25     ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2017-03-03 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sky Liu
  Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini, andrew.cooper3, lars.kurth

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017, Sky Liu wrote:

> > Thank you for your interest in this project and Xen!
> >
> > Firstly, I would recommend to install Xen from source on your test
> > machine. If you don't have a test machine, you could install it on your
> > laptop. Alternatively, Xen on ARM works well on the Cubietruck, also
> > known as Cubieboard 2 [1][2]. Finally, Xen works also well on top of Xen
> > or KVM virtual machines on x86 (nested virtualization), so that would be
> > another way to test it.
> >
> > I fully agree that the best way to get started is by submitting small
> > patches.  We'll get back to you soon with some examples of potential
> > small fixes to do. In the meantime, I encourage you to setup a dev and
> > test environment.
> >

> > [1] https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Allwinner
> > [2] http://www.cubietruck.com/collections/frontpage/products/cubietruck-cubieboard3-cortex-a7-dual-core-2gb-ram-8gb-flash-with-wifi-bt-1
>
> Hi, Stefano Stabellini.
>
> Thanks for getting back to me and sorry for my late reply.
>
> I've already set up the development environment on my ArchLinux
> laptop(ASUS A555L),
>  with the following uname -a:
>      Linux sky-arch 4.9.11-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Feb 19 13:45:52
> UTC 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I've also installed and tested it out, and it works quite normally.
> In order to make things work on ArchLinux,
> I've written two scripts to assist the build and install process.
> (See: https://gist.github.com/blackskygg/2c1f63de6b96f035976dd44aaa39170b).
>
> Hope to hear back from you soon.

That's good to hear. In terms of initial small contributions to get
familiar with Xen, give a look at the list of open issues:

https://xenproject.atlassian.net/projects/XEN/board

most of them are large projects, but some of them are small enough for
an initial contributions, for example, XEN-41 (Allow a default command
line to be embedded in the hypervisor using Kconfig) and XEN-29 (Add
-fstack-protector support to the hypervisor).

* [GSoC]about the task "Share a page in memory from the VM config file"
@ 2017-03-05  4:58       ` Sky Liu
From: Sky Liu @ 2017-03-05  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini; +Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, andrew.cooper3, Lars Kurth

Thanks for your suggestions.
I think I'll try XEN-41.

Best Regards,
Zhongze Liu.

@ 2017-03-23  0:13         ` Zhongze Liu
From: Zhongze Liu @ 2017-03-23  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini; +Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, andrew.cooper3, Lars Kurth

Back to the GSoC task.
Do I need to meet any special hardware requirements to complete the task?
Currently I have 12G RAM and 128G SSD + 1T HDD.
The output of "lscpu" on my test machine is as follows:

   Architecture:          x86_64
   CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
   Byte Order:            Little Endian
   CPU(s):                4
   On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
   Thread(s) per core:    1
   Core(s) per socket:    4
   Socket(s):             1
   NUMA node(s):          1
   Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
   CPU family:            6
   Model:                 94
   Model name:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz
   Stepping:              3
   CPU MHz:               800.030
   CPU max MHz:           3200.0000
   CPU min MHz:           800.0000
   BogoMIPS:              4609.00
   Virtualization:        VT-x
   L1d cache:             32K
   L1i cache:             32K
   L2 cache:              256K
   L3 cache:              6144K
   NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3
   Flags:                 fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep
mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht
tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs
bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni
pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr
pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes
xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch epb intel_pt
tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle
avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt
xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify
hwp_act_window hwp_epp

Cheers.

@ 2017-03-23  1:00           ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2017-03-23  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhongze Liu
  Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini, andrew.cooper3, Lars Kurth

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017, Zhongze Liu wrote:
> Back to the GSoC task.
> Do I need to meet any special hardware requirements to complete the task?

No special hardware requirements, what you have below is more than
enough. However, if you have some spare time, it would be helpful for
you to setup an ARM build and test environment too, because it would be
nice if you could make this project work on ARM as well. In fact, this
work is mostly meant to help users in embedded scenarios, which are
mostly ARM based. You could go very far in this project with only the
x86 hardware you have, but you'll need ARM for the last bit.

First you need a cross-compiler, you can download the latest from
linaro:

https://releases.linaro.org/components/toolchain/binaries/latest/armv8l-linux-gnueabihf/gcc-linaro-6.3.1-2017.02-x86_64_armv8l-linux-gnueabihf.tar.xz

You can download a free ARMv8 emulator from here:

https://developer.arm.com/products/system-design/fixed-virtual-platforms

choose "ARMv8-A Foundation Platform for Linux". Then follow these
instructions:

http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=149021352631609

Please read the following emails in the thread too which tells you how
to build Xen and Linux for ARM. We are still solving some issues but the
steps so far are also on the wiki, see "Firmware & boot-wrapper" ->
arm64 and "Foundation Model":

https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/FastModels

@ 2017-03-28 17:36             ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2017-03-28 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, andrew.cooper3, Zhongze Liu, Lars Kurth

Hello Zhongze,

did you manage to make any progress with the ARM model?

Finally, I would like to remind you of the upcoming deadline for
applications submissions, which is the 3rd of April for GSoC and the
30th of March for Outreachy, see:

http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=149071502330534

Please give a look at the Xen Project application template here:

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/GSoC_Student_Application_Template

It also includes an "Implementation Plan", where you have the chance to
explain the implementation plan for the projects you would like to apply
for.

Thanks,

Stefano

@ 2017-03-29  0:15               ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2017-03-29  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, andrew.cooper3, Zhongze Liu, Lars Kurth

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> Hello Zhongze,
>
> did you manage to make any progress with the ARM model?
>
> Finally, I would like to remind you of the upcoming deadline for
> applications submissions, which is the 3rd of April for GSoC and the
> 30th of March for Outreachy, see:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=149071502330534
>
> Please give a look at the Xen Project application template here:
>
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/GSoC_Student_Application_Template
>
> It also includes an "Implementation Plan", where you have the chance to
> explain the implementation plan for the projects you would like to apply
> for.

FYI I added more info on this project here:

http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=149074641908123

@ 2017-03-30  1:07                 ` Zhongze Liu
From: Zhongze Liu @ 2017-03-30  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini; +Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, andrew.cooper3, Lars Kurth

Hi Stefano,

Thanks for reminding me of the deadline and providing me with more information
on this project.

I did setup the arm model and doing well with it. But after that, I
encountered some
private issues that I have to handle first, so I failed to get back to
you immediately.
Sorry for that.

I would finish the proposal ASAP and start discussing the
implementation details with
you and Julien.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Zhongze Liu

@ 2017-03-30  2:33                   ` Zhongze Liu
From: Zhongze Liu @ 2017-03-30  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini; +Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, andrew.cooper3, Lars Kurth

Hi Stefano,

What do you say if we extend this project into "sharing multiple
ranges of memory area among VMs from the config file".

Cheers.

Zhongze Liu

@ 2017-03-30 17:52                     ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2017-03-30 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)