* BlueStore deep-dive over bluejeans
@ 2016-02-24 19:51 Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-02-24 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hey all,

I'm planning on doing an hour-ish deep-dive into the inner workings of
BlueStore next Monday, 2/29, 5pm-6pm ET / 2pm-3pm PT.  It'll be a
mostly-informal brain dump and walk-through of the code over bluejeans,
and we'll record it.  Anyone who is or is planning to be involved in
bluestore development, please join and ask questions etc!  I'll send out
the bluejeans link shortly before we start.

sage

* Re: BlueStore deep-dive over bluejeans
@ 2016-02-25 13:59 ` Erwan Velu
From: Erwan Velu @ 2016-02-25 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

I cannot attend but will watch the recording.
If you can paste it on this thread, would be nice.

Thx,

@ 2016-02-29 21:01 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-02-29 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016, Sage Weil wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm planning on doing an hour-ish deep-dive into the inner workings of
> BlueStore next Monday, 2/29, 5pm-6pm ET / 2pm-3pm PT.  It'll be a
> mostly-informal brain dump and walk-through of the code over bluejeans,
> and we'll record it.  Anyone who is or is planning to be involved in
> bluestore development, please join and ask questions etc!  I'll send out
> the bluejeans link shortly before we start.

I'm going to defer this until later--I'm not feeling well.  I'll send out
another email soon with a new time slot.

Sorry!

@ 2016-03-01 15:19   ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-03-01 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2016, Sage Weil wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'm planning on doing an hour-ish deep-dive into the inner workings of
> > BlueStore next Monday, 2/29, 5pm-6pm ET / 2pm-3pm PT.  It'll be a
> > mostly-informal brain dump and walk-through of the code over bluejeans,
> > and we'll record it.  Anyone who is or is planning to be involved in
> > bluestore development, please join and ask questions etc!  I'll send out
> > the bluejeans link shortly before we start.
>
> I'm going to defer this until later--I'm not feeling well.  I'll send out
> another email soon with a new time slot.

We try again with the same time slot today (5pm ET, 2pm PT).  The
bluejeans URL will be

	https://bluejeans.com/SWeil09

@ 2016-03-02 13:36     ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-03-02 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, Sage Weil wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Feb 2016, Sage Weil wrote:
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > I'm planning on doing an hour-ish deep-dive into the inner workings of
> > > BlueStore next Monday, 2/29, 5pm-6pm ET / 2pm-3pm PT.  It'll be a
> > > mostly-informal brain dump and walk-through of the code over bluejeans,
> > > and we'll record it.  Anyone who is or is planning to be involved in
> > > bluestore development, please join and ask questions etc!  I'll send out
> > > the bluejeans link shortly before we start.
> >
> > I'm going to defer this until later--I'm not feeling well.  I'll send out
> > another email soon with a new time slot.
>
> We try again with the same time slot today (5pm ET, 2pm PT).  The
> bluejeans URL will be
>
> 	https://bluejeans.com/SWeil09

Here's the recording:

	https://trello.com/b/Zc0QlFzs/rhcs-2-0

@ 2016-03-02 13:55       ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-03-02 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2016, Sage Weil wrote:

> > > I'm going to defer this until later--I'm not feeling well.  I'll send out
> > > another email soon with a new time slot.
> >
> > We try again with the same time slot today (5pm ET, 2pm PT).  The
> > bluejeans URL will be
> >
> > 	https://bluejeans.com/SWeil09
>
> Here's the recording:

Oops, here's the correct URL:

	https://bluejeans.com/s/9dck/

@ 2016-03-03  4:08         ` Dan Mick
From: Dan Mick @ 2016-03-03  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

> 	https://bluejeans.com/s/9dck/

Can you set this to allow download?  I can't get it to play in the
bluejeans interface, but downloadable files usually work for me

--
Dan Mick
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: BlueStore deep-dive over bluejeans
@ 2016-03-03  4:14           ` Haomai Wang
From: Haomai Wang @ 2016-03-03  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Mick; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 12:08 PM, Dan Mick <dmick@redhat.com> wrote:

>>       https://bluejeans.com/s/9dck/
>
> Can you set this to allow download?  I can't get it to play in the
> bluejeans interface, but downloadable files usually work for me

yes, I can't play it online too.

@ 2016-03-03 13:19           ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-03-03 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Mick; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016, Dan Mick wrote:

> > 	https://bluejeans.com/s/9dck/
>
> Can you set this to allow download?  I can't get it to play in the
> bluejeans interface, but downloadable files usually work for me

Fixed!

@ 2016-03-05 10:41             ` huang jun
       [not found]               ` <20160306184642014525100@chinanetcenter.com>
From: huang jun @ 2016-03-05 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: Dan Mick, ceph-devel

where to get the ppt in the video?

> On Wed, 2 Mar 2016, Dan Mick wrote:
>>
>> >     https://bluejeans.com/s/9dck/
>>
>> Can you set this to allow download?  I can't get it to play in the
>> bluejeans interface, but downloadable files usually work for me
>
> Fixed!
>
> sage

thanks
huangjun

* Re: BlueStore deep-dive over bluejeans
@ 2016-03-05 18:54               ` Sage Weil
       [not found]               ` <20160306184642014525100@chinanetcenter.com>
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-03-05 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: huang jun; +Cc: Dan Mick, ceph-devel

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016, huang jun wrote:
> where to get the ppt in the video?

There's no PPT.. I was just sharing my screen and walking through some of
the code.

sage

> >> Can you set this to allow download?  I can't get it to play in the
> >> bluejeans interface, but downloadable files usually work for me
> >
> > Fixed!
> >
> > sage
> > --

> thanks
> huangjun

* Re: Re: BlueStore deep-dive over bluejeans
       [not found]               ` <20160306184642014525100@chinanetcenter.com>
@ 2016-03-06 16:34                 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-03-06 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 陈静; +Cc: huang jun, Dan Mick, ceph-devel

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016, 陈静 wrote:
> Hi Sage,
>
> So BlueStore will rely on RocksDB a lot, which just remind me of some
> experience regarding to LevelDB recovery and compaction some time ago.
>
> We tried Ceph RGW 0.80, which had no Bucket Index Sharding feature. SSD
> managed by FileStore is used for Bucket Index Pool.
> After we put tens of millions of files into a bucket, LevelDB of the OSD
> holding the corresponding bucket index object grew very big.
> The OSD once crashed unexpectly. When we try to start the OSD again, it took
> hours to fully get up.
> We used pstack to observed what it was doing and noticed the OSD is busy in
> recovering and compacting its LevelDB.
> The recovering and compaction consumed a lot CPU and memory as well.
>
> BlueStore seems to rely more on RocksDB, which is a variant of LevelDB.
> Then when the number of objects in BlueStore is large, will it take even
> more time for the OSD to start up (for recoverying and compaction) if it was
> not shut down cleanly previously?

In general, rocksdb/leveldb shouldn't need to compact on startup.  I'm not
sure what caused that in your situation.  We've seen a few leveldb bugs in
the past that prevented compaction from happening when it should; perhaps
it was one of those.

We did do some testing with rocksdb where we inflated the size to he db to
be very large and it performed pretty well.  We didn't try clearing large
swaths of the keyspace to test the compaction side of things, though.

sage

@ 2016-04-12  8:33                   ` chen kael
From: chen kael @ 2016-04-12  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: 陈静, huang jun, Dan Mick, ceph-devel

Hi,sage
I have a question, does small files smaller than min_alloc_size will
be store in RocksDB for ever? And  I am not quite clear about the
differences between overlay write which is set off by default and WAL
write.

@ 2016-04-12 17:43                     ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-04-12 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chen kael; +Cc: 陈静, huang jun, Dan Mick, ceph-devel