* btime and change_attr features in kclient
@ 2016-10-24 16:16 Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-10-24 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zyan, jlayton, ceph-devel

Hi,

This PR that changes the entity_addr encoding is finally ready to merge

	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/9825

but it defines an MSG_ADDR2 feature bit indicating whether we support the
new addr encoding.  Right now it's defined with the same value as the
FS_CHANGE_ATTR and FS_BTIME feature bit.  Are those upstream yet?  If not,
we should get the addr2 support in at the same time so that we can
conserve a feature bit.  If not, we'll have to consume another bit.  :(

sage

* Re: btime and change_attr features in kclient
@ 2016-10-24 16:19 ` Jeff Layton
From: Jeff Layton @ 2016-10-24 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil, zyan, ceph-devel

On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 16:16 +0000, Sage Weil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This PR that changes the entity_addr encoding is finally ready to merge
>
>         https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/9825
>
> but it defines an MSG_ADDR2 feature bit indicating whether we support the
> new addr encoding.  Right now it's defined with the same value as the
> FS_CHANGE_ATTR and FS_BTIME feature bit.  Are those upstream yet?  If not,
> we should get the addr2 support in at the same time so that we can
> conserve a feature bit.  If not, we'll have to consume another bit.  :(
>
> sage

That support is merged into master -- is that what you mean by
"upstream"?

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@redhat.com>

* Re: btime and change_attr features in kclient
@ 2016-10-24 16:25   ` Jeff Layton
From: Jeff Layton @ 2016-10-24 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil, zyan, ceph-devel

On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 12:19 -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 16:16 +0000, Sage Weil wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > This PR that changes the entity_addr encoding is finally ready to merge
> >
> >         https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/9825
> >
> > but it defines an MSG_ADDR2 feature bit indicating whether we support the
> > new addr encoding.  Right now it's defined with the same value as the
> > FS_CHANGE_ATTR and FS_BTIME feature bit.  Are those upstream yet?  If not,
> > we should get the addr2 support in at the same time so that we can
> > conserve a feature bit.  If not, we'll have to consume another bit.  :(
> >
> > sage
> >

> That support is merged into master -- is that what you mean by
> "upstream"?

Sorry, I misread the subject...

No, those are not yet supported or recognized in kclient yet. In which
kernel are you planning to merge the addr2 patches?
--

@ 2016-10-24 16:26   ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-10-24 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Layton; +Cc: zyan, ceph-devel

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016, Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 16:16 +0000, Sage Weil wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This PR that changes the entity_addr encoding is finally ready to merge
> >
> >         https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/9825
> >
> > but it defines an MSG_ADDR2 feature bit indicating whether we support the
> > new addr encoding.  Right now it's defined with the same value as the
> > FS_CHANGE_ATTR and FS_BTIME feature bit.  Are those upstream yet?  If not,
> > we should get the addr2 support in at the same time so that we can
> > conserve a feature bit.  If not, we'll have to consume another bit.  :(
> >
> > sage
> >

> That support is merged into master -- is that what you mean by
> "upstream"?

I mean support on the client side in the upstream kernel...

@ 2016-10-24 16:28     ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-10-24 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Layton; +Cc: zyan, ceph-devel

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016, Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 12:19 -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 16:16 +0000, Sage Weil wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This PR that changes the entity_addr encoding is finally ready to merge
> > >
> > >         https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/9825
> > >
> > > but it defines an MSG_ADDR2 feature bit indicating whether we support the
> > > new addr encoding.  Right now it's defined with the same value as the
> > > FS_CHANGE_ATTR and FS_BTIME feature bit.  Are those upstream yet?  If not,
> > > we should get the addr2 support in at the same time so that we can
> > > conserve a feature bit.  If not, we'll have to consume another bit.  :(
> > >
> > > sage
> > >

> > That support is merged into master -- is that what you mean by
> > "upstream"?
> >

> Sorry, I misread the subject...
>
> No, those are not yet supported or recognized in kclient yet. In which
> kernel are you planning to merge the addr2 patches?

That's good news!  :)  The kclient patches for addr2 haven't been written
yet, though.  There is no particular rush, but we should plan to merge
all three together so that we can use the same feature bit.

Thanks!

@ 2016-10-24 16:30       ` Jeff Layton
From: Jeff Layton @ 2016-10-24 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: zyan, ceph-devel

On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 16:28 +0000, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2016, Jeff Layton wrote:

> > > That support is merged into master -- is that what you mean by
> > > "upstream"?
> > >

> > Sorry, I misread the subject...
> >
> > No, those are not yet supported or recognized in kclient yet. In which
> > kernel are you planning to merge the addr2 patches?
>
> That's good news!  :)  The kclient patches for addr2 haven't been written
> yet, though.  There is no particular rush, but we should plan to merge
> all three together so that we can use the same feature bit.
>
> Thanks!
> sage

Makes sense to me and I agree that there's no rush:

The kernel doesn't care about the btime. I think we'll probably just
discard it until we have a way to expose it to userland. The
change_attr could be useful when exporting via knfsd, but we've lived
without it so far.
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@redhat.com>