* use ceph-ci.git to get repositories out of dev branches
@ 2016-12-07 12:34 Alfredo Deza
From: Alfredo Deza @ 2016-12-07 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel; +Cc: Andrew Schoen

As announced on November 23rd, please start pushing development
branches to ceph-ci.git (https://github.com/ceph/ceph-ci) to get
repositories.

This doesn't change reporting in https://shaman.ceph.com and it
shouldn't affect testing via teuthology.

The ceph.git repository will continue to build binaries and
repositories for another week to help transitioning.

If you have any issues, please mention them in the #sepia or
#ceph-devel channels to me (alfredodeza) or Andrew Schoen
(andrewschoen).

Thanks!

-Alfredo

* Re: use ceph-ci.git to get repositories out of dev branches
@ 2016-12-12 12:48 ` Alfredo Deza
From: Alfredo Deza @ 2016-12-12 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel; +Cc: Andrew Schoen

**REMINDER**

Please, push development branches to ceph-ci.git to get
repositories/binaries built.

We are scheduled to restrict permissions to ceph.git in a few days.

Thanks!

@ 2016-12-12 19:44   ` Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2016-12-12 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfredo Deza, ceph-devel; +Cc: Andrew Schoen

On 12-12-2016 13:48, Alfredo Deza wrote:
> **REMINDER**
>
> Please, push development branches to ceph-ci.git to get
> repositories/binaries built.
>
> We are scheduled to restrict permissions to ceph.git in a few days.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 7:34 AM, Alfredo Deza <adeza@redhat.com> wrote:
>> As announced on November 23rd, please start pushing development
>> branches to ceph-ci.git (https://github.com/ceph/ceph-ci) to get
>> repositories.
>>
>> This doesn't change reporting in https://shaman.ceph.com and it
>> shouldn't affect testing via teuthology.
>>
>> The ceph.git repository will continue to build binaries and
>> repositories for another week to help transitioning.
>>
>> If you have any issues, please mention them in the #sepia or
>> #ceph-devel channels to me (alfredodeza) or Andrew Schoen
>> (andrewschoen).

Hi Alfredo,

Not being a native git-citizen, this is perhaps a bit to cryptic for me.

So instead of makeing PRs in my ceph-fork, I should
	fork ceph-ci
        new PRs should be submitted from this fork against ceph-ci.
??

Any suggestions on how to migrate my current ceph-fork to a
ceph-ci-fork? Or am I going to "lose" all my changes in the log of the
current, and transfer the changes thru diff/patch..

Thanx,
--WjW

* Re: use ceph-ci.git to get repositories out of dev branches
@ 2016-12-12 19:54     ` John Spray
From: John Spray @ 2016-12-12 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Jan Withagen; +Cc: Alfredo Deza, ceph-devel, Andrew Schoen

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 7:44 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl> wrote:
> On 12-12-2016 13:48, Alfredo Deza wrote:
>> **REMINDER**
>>
>> Please, push development branches to ceph-ci.git to get
>> repositories/binaries built.
>>
>> We are scheduled to restrict permissions to ceph.git in a few days.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 7:34 AM, Alfredo Deza <adeza@redhat.com> wrote:
>>> As announced on November 23rd, please start pushing development
>>> branches to ceph-ci.git (https://github.com/ceph/ceph-ci) to get
>>> repositories.
>>>
>>> This doesn't change reporting in https://shaman.ceph.com and it
>>> shouldn't affect testing via teuthology.
>>>
>>> The ceph.git repository will continue to build binaries and
>>> repositories for another week to help transitioning.
>>>
>>> If you have any issues, please mention them in the #sepia or
>>> #ceph-devel channels to me (alfredodeza) or Andrew Schoen
>>> (andrewschoen).
>
> Hi Alfredo,
>
> Not being a native git-citizen, this is perhaps a bit to cryptic for me.
>
> So instead of makeing PRs in my ceph-fork, I should
>         fork ceph-ci
>         new PRs should be submitted from this fork against ceph-ci.
> ??
>
> Any suggestions on how to migrate my current ceph-fork to a
> ceph-ci-fork? Or am I going to "lose" all my changes in the log of the
> current, and transfer the changes thru diff/patch..

Don't worry, if you are just opening pull requests then none of this
affects you.

The change is that when we wanted to build branches for testing, we
pushed them to ceph.git.  Now we push things that we want to build to
ceph-ci.git.  Pull requests are still opened against ceph.git.

Cheers,
John

@ 2016-12-12 20:06       ` Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2016-12-12 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Spray; +Cc: Alfredo Deza, ceph-devel, Andrew Schoen

On 12-12-2016 20:54, John Spray wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 7:44 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl> wrote:
>> On 12-12-2016 13:48, Alfredo Deza wrote:
>>> **REMINDER**
>>>
>>> Please, push development branches to ceph-ci.git to get
>>> repositories/binaries built.
>>>
>>> We are scheduled to restrict permissions to ceph.git in a few days.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> Hi Alfredo,
>>
>> Not being a native git-citizen, this is perhaps a bit to cryptic for me.
>>
>> So instead of makeing PRs in my ceph-fork, I should
>>         fork ceph-ci
>>         new PRs should be submitted from this fork against ceph-ci.
>> ??
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to migrate my current ceph-fork to a
>> ceph-ci-fork? Or am I going to "lose" all my changes in the log of the
>> current, and transfer the changes thru diff/patch..
>
> Don't worry, if you are just opening pull requests then none of this
> affects you.
>
> The change is that when we wanted to build branches for testing, we
> pushed them to ceph.git.  Now we push things that we want to build to
> ceph-ci.git.  Pull requests are still opened against ceph.git.

Ah, oke,

I'm going back into relaxed hacking mode.

Thnx,
--WjW

* Re: use ceph-ci.git to get repositories out of dev branches
@ 2016-12-13 14:20   ` Nathan Cutler
From: Nathan Cutler @ 2016-12-13 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfredo Deza, ceph-devel; +Cc: Andrew Schoen

Hi Alfredo:

I'm trying to build a "wip-hammer-backports" integration branch to test
the 0.94.10 release, but shaman doesn't like it for some reason:

https://jenkins.ceph.com/job/ceph-dev-setup/4002//consoleFull

The same branch passes gitbuilder. Could you take a look?

Thanks,
Nathan

On 12/12/2016 01:48 PM, Alfredo Deza wrote:
> **REMINDER**
>
> Please, push development branches to ceph-ci.git to get
> repositories/binaries built.
>
> We are scheduled to restrict permissions to ceph.git in a few days.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 7:34 AM, Alfredo Deza <adeza@redhat.com> wrote:
>> As announced on November 23rd, please start pushing development
>> branches to ceph-ci.git (https://github.com/ceph/ceph-ci) to get
>> repositories.
>>
>> This doesn't change reporting in https://shaman.ceph.com and it
>> shouldn't affect testing via teuthology.
>>
>> The ceph.git repository will continue to build binaries and
>> repositories for another week to help transitioning.
>>
>> If you have any issues, please mention them in the #sepia or
>> #ceph-devel channels to me (alfredodeza) or Andrew Schoen
>> (andrewschoen).
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> -Alfredo

Nathan Cutler
Software Engineer Distributed Storage
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.
Tel.: +420 284 084 037

* Re: use ceph-ci.git to get repositories out of dev branches
@ 2016-12-14  1:31     ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-12-14  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Cutler; +Cc: Alfredo Deza, ceph-devel, Andrew Schoen

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016, Nathan Cutler wrote:
> Hi Alfredo:
>
> I'm trying to build a "wip-hammer-backports" integration branch to test the
> 0.94.10 release, but shaman doesn't like it for some reason:
>
> https://jenkins.ceph.com/job/ceph-dev-setup/4002//consoleFull
>
> The same branch passes gitbuilder. Could you take a look?

There is a new teuthology-suite option, --ceph-repo, that you can pass the
repo name to.  So, for example,

 teuthology-suite -s rados -c wip-foo --ceph-repo https://github.com/ceph/ceph-ci.git

Soon we'll switch the default around so that ceph-ci.git will be the
default and you'll need to tell teuthology-suite if you're scheduling
against a branch in ceph.git (this will mostly just be the cron jobs).

Also, starting very soon (tomorrow), --suite-repo will also pick up this
value, so that it is (by default) assumed that the *tests* will come out
of this repo too.  That is, the default for --suite-repo will be whatever
--ceph-repo is, and --suite-relpath will default to 'qa' (the suite yaml
files will soon be merged into ceph.git qa/suite/*).  --suite-branch
will continue to default to whatever the -c ceph branch is (like they do
already), although it will seem a bit less magic than before since it's
generally the same branch in the same repo.

sage

@ 2016-12-14 18:15       ` Nathan Cutler
From: Nathan Cutler @ 2016-12-14 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: Alfredo Deza, ceph-devel, Andrew Schoen

Thanks, Sage. I am eager to use the new stuff, but ATM it appears that
Shaman does not build hammer at all.

See https://jenkins.ceph.com/job/ceph-dev-setup/4055//consoleFull

Right after configure it appears to do "git diff" and not like what it
sees. All hammer-based branches (including hammer itself) fail in the
same way.

Needless to say, in gitbuilder they build fine.

This is blocking work on the 0.94.10 release.

Nathan

@ 2016-12-14 21:00         ` Alfredo Deza
From: Alfredo Deza @ 2016-12-14 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Cutler; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel, Andrew Schoen

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Nathan Cutler <ncutler@suse.cz> wrote:
> Thanks, Sage. I am eager to use the new stuff, but ATM it appears that
> Shaman does not build hammer at all.
>
> See https://jenkins.ceph.com/job/ceph-dev-setup/4055//consoleFull
>
> Right after configure it appears to do "git diff" and not like what it sees.
> All hammer-based branches (including hammer itself) fail in the same way.
>
> Needless to say, in gitbuilder they build fine.
>
> This is blocking work on the 0.94.10 release.

After some digging (mostly Dan Mick) we found that autogen.sh does
some calls to aclocal which can copy system installed macros
into the ceph source.

This wasn't an issue before because the copy of the macro (ltsugar.m4)
ceph has in hammer was the same version as the one in the system, but
with the newer distros (e.g. Xenial in this case) it had some changes
that when copied over it caused the `git diff` check we have to get
triggered
and failed the build.

The check has been moved earlier in the script so that this doesn't
hit Hammer and Hammer-based branches.