* Backport
@ 2017-08-23 21:01 David Zafman
From: David Zafman @ 2017-08-23 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

Sage,

Should we backport http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/20730?  It was removal
of the code to warn about OSDs space utilization differences.

It won't backport with a cherry-pick because in master the code moved
then was removed.

David

* Re: Backport
@ 2017-08-23 21:29 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2017-08-23 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Zafman; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Wed, 23 Aug 2017, David Zafman wrote:
> Sage,
>
> Should we backport http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/20730?  It was removal of
> the code to warn about OSDs space utilization differences.
>
> It won't backport with a cherry-pick because in master the code moved then was
> removed.

This was new in kraken, so I'm not sure there's anything to
backport (I don't think it's worth removing it from kraken)?

I think we should keep that ticket around because eventually this warning
probably makes sense.  It might end up being generated by the balancer
module or something, though.  But eventually we should address the
limitations (mainly making the warning not trigger when a new device is
added but hasn't been backfilled yet).

sage

* Re: Backport
@ 2017-08-23 21:40   ` David Zafman
From: David Zafman @ 2017-08-23 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

Sage,

It was backported to Jewel and Kraken, somewhat recently.  It won't ever
be in Luminous because you removed it.  It came in with the branch with
all the ENOSPC handling fixes.   The backports include the tweak you did
to the config name(s), so the original name(s) were never in a release.

David

On 8/23/17 2:29 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2017, David Zafman wrote:
>> Sage,
>>
>> Should we backport http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/20730?  It was removal of
>> the code to warn about OSDs space utilization differences.
>>
>> It won't backport with a cherry-pick because in master the code moved then was
>> removed.
> This was new in kraken, so I'm not sure there's anything to
> backport (I don't think it's worth removing it from kraken)?
>
> I think we should keep that ticket around because eventually this warning
> probably makes sense.  It might end up being generated by the balancer
> module or something, though.  But eventually we should address the
> limitations (mainly making the warning not trigger when a new device is
> added but hasn't been backfilled yet).
>
> sage

* Re: Backport
@ 2017-08-23 22:01     ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2017-08-23 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Zafman; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Wed, 23 Aug 2017, David Zafman wrote:

> Sage,
>
> It was backported to Jewel and Kraken, somewhat recently.  It won't ever be in
> Luminous because you removed it.  It came in with the branch with all the
> ENOSPC handling fixes.   The backports include the tweak you did to the config
> name(s), so the original name(s) were never in a release.

Oh I see.  I don't have a strong preference.  I haven't seen anyone
complain that the warnings come and go, but I expect anyone who sees it
will be a bit confused.  What do you think?

sage

> David
>

> On 8/23/17 2:29 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Aug 2017, David Zafman wrote:
> > > Sage,
> > >
> > > Should we backport http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/20730?  It was removal
> > > of
> > > the code to warn about OSDs space utilization differences.
> > >
> > > It won't backport with a cherry-pick because in master the code moved then
> > > was
> > > removed.
> > This was new in kraken, so I'm not sure there's anything to
> > backport (I don't think it's worth removing it from kraken)?
> >
> > I think we should keep that ticket around because eventually this warning
> > probably makes sense.  It might end up being generated by the balancer
> > module or something, though.  But eventually we should address the
> > limitations (mainly making the warning not trigger when a new device is
> > added but hasn't been backfilled yet).
> >
> > sage

* Re: Backport
@ 2017-08-23 22:28       ` David Zafman
From: David Zafman @ 2017-08-23 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

Sage,

I suggest we just set the default config value to 0 (disabled) in Jewel
and Kraken.  If someone has the right configuration to benefit from that
health check they can turn it on.

David

On 8/23/17 3:01 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2017, David Zafman wrote:
>> Sage,
>>
>> It was backported to Jewel and Kraken, somewhat recently.  It won't ever be in
>> Luminous because you removed it.  It came in with the branch with all the
>> ENOSPC handling fixes.   The backports include the tweak you did to the config
>> name(s), so the original name(s) were never in a release.
> Oh I see.  I don't have a strong preference.  I haven't seen anyone
> complain that the warnings come and go, but I expect anyone who sees it
> will be a bit confused.  What do you think?
>
> sage
>
>> David

>>> This was new in kraken, so I'm not sure there's anything to
>>> backport (I don't think it's worth removing it from kraken)?
>>>
>>> I think we should keep that ticket around because eventually this warning
>>> probably makes sense.  It might end up being generated by the balancer
>>> module or something, though.  But eventually we should address the
>>> limitations (mainly making the warning not trigger when a new device is
>>> added but hasn't been backfilled yet).
>>>
>>> sage
>> --

* Re: Backport