* Problems installing git-for-windows
@ 2015-12-07 12:44 Peter Toye
From: Peter Toye @ 2015-12-07 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

I've just downloaded git-for-windows. It uninstalled an earlier
version that I had (about 5 years old) and I got some problems.

1)  It wanted to install into my User directory instead of the
Program Files directory, which is the best place for all programs.
The installer told me that this had access right problems, so I
installed it into another directory. It seemed to go OK.

2)  However,  the  icons  on  the desktop pointed to the place that my
where I'd have hoped that the new installation would go!

3)  I  uninstalled it to see if a cleaner installatoin would work, and
the  GIT-GUI icon didn't disappear  from the desktop - minor bug I
suspect.

Regards,

Peter
 mailto:git@ptoye.com
 www.ptoye.com

* Re: Problems installing git-for-windows
@ 2015-12-07 18:52 ` Stefan Beller
From: Stefan Beller @ 2015-12-07 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Toye, Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: git

+cc Johannes

IIUC Git-for-Windows specific issues are handled in
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues
instead of this mailing list.

@ 2015-12-07 19:03 ` Johannes Schindelin
       [not found]   ` <279121240.20151207191837@ptoye.com>
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2015-12-07 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Toye; +Cc: git

Hi Peter,

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015, Peter Toye wrote:

> 1)  It wanted to install into my User directory instead of the
> Program Files directory, which is the best place for all programs.

There has been a regression in Git for Windows 2.6.3 (please *always*
state the version when reporting bugs) that requires you to run this
installer as administrator manually, else it will install into AppData by
default.

The other problems seem to be consequences.

The regression has been fixed and the next Git for Windows version will
install into Program Files again (if your account is equipped with the
appropriate permissions to elevate the installer enough).

Ciao,
Johannes

@ 2015-12-07 19:38     ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2015-12-07 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Toye; +Cc: git

Hi Peter,

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015, Peter Toye wrote:

> Thanks - sorry I didn't report the version number - it was 2.6.3 as you
> suggested. I didn't realise that development was so active. Do yo know
> when the next version will be stable or should I go for an earlier
> version?

I am "side-tracked" with a couple of tickets but plan to do a 2.6.3(2)
soon unless Junio releases a 2.6.4 first.

If you need a fixed installer *real fast*, you can follow these easy
steps: https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/wiki/Making-an-installer

Ciao,
Johannes