* Coccinelle tasks
@ 2017-03-05 16:48 Aishwarya Pant
From: Aishwarya Pant @ 2017-03-05 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Hi

I would like to work on a Coccinelle task, but I'm not sure how to go
forward.
- I ran a sudo apt-get install coccinelle
- And then ran  spatch --sp-file scripts/coccinelle/misc/bugon.cocci
drivers/staging/dgnc/* -D report

The output of all scripts I've run has been something like this-

init_defs_builtins: /usr/lib/coccinelle/standard.h
HANDLING: drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_cls.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_cls.h
drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_driver.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_driver.h
drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_mgmt.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_mgmt.h
drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_neo.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_neo.h
drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_pci.h drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_tty.c
drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_tty.h drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_utils.c
drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_utils.h drivers/staging/dgnc/digi.h
drivers/staging/dgnc/Kconfig drivers/staging/dgnc/Makefile
drivers/staging/dgnc/TODO

How can I run coccinelle scripts to detect issues and write some of my own
(same as coccinelle tasks?) ?

Thanks

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Coccinelle tasks
@ 2017-03-05 16:58 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2017-03-05 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aishwarya Pant; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Sun, 5 Mar 2017, Aishwarya Pant wrote:

> Hi
> I would like to work on a Coccinelle task, but I'm not sure how to go
> forward.
> - I ran a sudo apt-get install coccinelle
> - And then ran  spatch --sp-file scripts/coccinelle/misc/bugon.cocci
> drivers/staging/dgnc/* -D report

Don't use * in a file name when you run Coccinelle.  That will cause it to
consider all the files at once, which will lead to bad memory usage.  What
you want is to consider the files one at a time, which is done by just
putting the directory name, ie what you have but with no /*

> The output of all scripts I've run has been something like this-
>
> init_defs_builtins: /usr/lib/coccinelle/standard.h
> HANDLING: drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_cls.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_cls.h
> drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_driver.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_driver.h
> drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_mgmt.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_mgmt.h
> drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_neo.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_neo.h
> drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_pci.h drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_tty.c
> drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_tty.h drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_utils.c
> drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_utils.h drivers/staging/dgnc/digi.h
> drivers/staging/dgnc/Kconfig drivers/staging/dgnc/Makefile
> drivers/staging/dgnc/TODO

Actually, you can see what I just said in this output.  It is considering
all of the files at once.

> How can I run coccinelle scripts to detect issues and write some of my own
> (same as coccinelle tasks?) ?

If the above was the only output, then there was nothing for Coccinelle to
do on your code.  If Coccinelle finds something to change, it will emit a
patch.  The patch comes on standard output and the above HANDLING stuff
comes out on standard error.

I would suggest to work through the tutorial at the top of the Coccinelle
tasks page.  I can't get to the kernelnewbies page at the moment, but the
link should be there somewhere.  Alternatively:

slides: http://coccinelle.lip6.fr/papers/tutorial.pdf
video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buZrNd6XkEw (quite optional)

julia

@ 2017-03-06  8:40   ` Aishwarya Pant
From: Aishwarya Pant @ 2017-03-06  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Sun, Mar 05, 2017 at 05:58:10PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Mar 2017, Aishwarya Pant wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I would like to work on a Coccinelle task, but I'm not sure how to go
> > forward.
> > - I ran a sudo apt-get install coccinelle
> > - And then ran �spatch --sp-file scripts/coccinelle/misc/bugon.cocci
> > drivers/staging/dgnc/* -D report
>
> Don't use * in a file name when you run Coccinelle.  That will cause it to
> consider all the files at once, which will lead to bad memory usage.  What
> you want is to consider the files one at a time, which is done by just
> putting the directory name, ie what you have but with no /*
>

> > The output of all scripts I've run has been something like this-
> >
> > init_defs_builtins: /usr/lib/coccinelle/standard.h
> > HANDLING: drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_cls.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_cls.h
> > drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_driver.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_driver.h
> > drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_mgmt.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_mgmt.h
> > drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_neo.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_neo.h
> > drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_pci.h drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_tty.c
> > drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_tty.h drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_utils.c
> > drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_utils.h drivers/staging/dgnc/digi.h
> > drivers/staging/dgnc/Kconfig drivers/staging/dgnc/Makefile
> > drivers/staging/dgnc/TODO
>
> Actually, you can see what I just said in this output.  It is considering
> all of the files at once.
>
> > How can I run coccinelle scripts to detect issues and write some of my own
> > (same as coccinelle tasks?) ?
>
> If the above was the only output, then there was nothing for Coccinelle to
> do on your code.  If Coccinelle finds something to change, it will emit a
> patch.  The patch comes on standard output and the above HANDLING stuff
> comes out on standard error.
>
> I would suggest to work through the tutorial at the top of the Coccinelle
> tasks page.  I can't get to the kernelnewbies page at the moment, but the
> link should be there somewhere.  Alternatively:
>
> slides: http://coccinelle.lip6.fr/papers/tutorial.pdf
> video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buZrNd6XkEw (quite optional)

Thanks for the references Julia.

I am now facing some issues running coccicheck. I run the command as:

make coccicheck MODE=report M=drivers/staging/vc04_services/ --debug

After issuing some warnings the process fails with the message:

773 777
coccicheck failed

@ 2017-03-06 11:43     ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2017-03-06 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aishwarya Pant; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017, Aishwarya Pant wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 05, 2017 at 05:58:10PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, 5 Mar 2017, Aishwarya Pant wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > I would like to work on a Coccinelle task, but I'm not sure how to go
> > > forward.
> > > - I ran a sudo apt-get install coccinelle
> > > - And then ran  spatch --sp-file scripts/coccinelle/misc/bugon.cocci
> > > drivers/staging/dgnc/* -D report
> >
> > Don't use * in a file name when you run Coccinelle.  That will cause it to
> > consider all the files at once, which will lead to bad memory usage.  What
> > you want is to consider the files one at a time, which is done by just
> > putting the directory name, ie what you have but with no /*
> >

> > > The output of all scripts I've run has been something like this-
> > >
> > > init_defs_builtins: /usr/lib/coccinelle/standard.h
> > > HANDLING: drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_cls.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_cls.h
> > > drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_driver.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_driver.h
> > > drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_mgmt.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_mgmt.h
> > > drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_neo.c drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_neo.h
> > > drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_pci.h drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_tty.c
> > > drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_tty.h drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_utils.c
> > > drivers/staging/dgnc/dgnc_utils.h drivers/staging/dgnc/digi.h
> > > drivers/staging/dgnc/Kconfig drivers/staging/dgnc/Makefile
> > > drivers/staging/dgnc/TODO
> >
> > Actually, you can see what I just said in this output.  It is considering
> > all of the files at once.
> >
> > > How can I run coccinelle scripts to detect issues and write some of my own
> > > (same as coccinelle tasks?) ?
> >
> > If the above was the only output, then there was nothing for Coccinelle to
> > do on your code.  If Coccinelle finds something to change, it will emit a
> > patch.  The patch comes on standard output and the above HANDLING stuff
> > comes out on standard error.
> >
> > I would suggest to work through the tutorial at the top of the Coccinelle
> > tasks page.  I can't get to the kernelnewbies page at the moment, but the
> > link should be there somewhere.  Alternatively:
> >
> > slides: http://coccinelle.lip6.fr/papers/tutorial.pdf
> > video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buZrNd6XkEw (quite optional)
>
> Thanks for the references Julia.
>
> I am now facing some issues running coccicheck. I run the command as:
>
> make coccicheck MODE=report M=drivers/staging/vc04_services/ --debug
>
> After issuing some warnings the process fails with the message:
>
> 773 777
> coccicheck failed

I would need to see the entire output.

What version of Coccinelle do you have?

julia

@ 2017-03-06 12:21       ` Aishwarya Pant
From: Aishwarya Pant @ 2017-03-06 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 12:43:39PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Mar 2017, Aishwarya Pant wrote:

> > > Don't use * in a file name when you run Coccinelle.  That will cause it to
> > > consider all the files at once, which will lead to bad memory usage.  What
> > > you want is to consider the files one at a time, which is done by just
> > > putting the directory name, ie what you have but with no /*

> > > Actually, you can see what I just said in this output.  It is considering
> > > all of the files at once.

> > > If the above was the only output, then there was nothing for Coccinelle to
> > > do on your code.  If Coccinelle finds something to change, it will emit a
> > > patch.  The patch comes on standard output and the above HANDLING stuff
> > > comes out on standard error.
> > >
> > > I would suggest to work through the tutorial at the top of the Coccinelle
> > > tasks page.  I can't get to the kernelnewbies page at the moment, but the
> > > link should be there somewhere.  Alternatively:
> > >
> > > slides: http://coccinelle.lip6.fr/papers/tutorial.pdf
> > > video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buZrNd6XkEw (quite optional)
> >
> > Thanks for the references Julia.
> >
> > I am now facing some issues running coccicheck. I run the command as:
> >
> > make coccicheck MODE=report M=drivers/staging/vc04_services/ --debug
> >
> > After issuing some warnings the process fails with the message:
> >
> > 773 777
> > coccicheck failed
>
> I would need to see the entire output.

Output is:

GNU Make 4.1
Built for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Copyright (C) 1988-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
Reading makefiles...
Updating goal targets....
 File 'coccicheck' does not exist.
 Must remake target 'coccicheck'.

 Please check for false positives in the output before submitting a
 patch.
 When using "patch" mode, carefully review the patch before submitting
 it.

 drivers/staging/vc04_services//bcm2835-audio/bcm2835.c:224:3-8: No need
 to set .owner here. The core will do it.
 drivers/staging/vc04_services//interface/vchiq_arm/vchiq_core.c:912:2-8:
 preceding lock on line 856
 773 777
 coccicheck failed
 Successfully remade target file 'coccicheck'.

> What version of Coccinelle do you have?

coccinelle:
  Installed: 1.0.4.deb-2

@ 2017-03-06 12:30         ` Julia Lawall