* [Cocci] Blocks Support?
@ 2018-04-17 14:32 Mitchell Cuddie
From: Mitchell Cuddie @ 2018-04-17 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

Has anyone looked at supporting the blocks extension in Coccinelle?
https://clang.llvm.org/docs/BlockLanguageSpec.html

There are a number of large projects like WebKit that could make use of
Coccinelle if it could parse the code. Any thoughts?

Mitchell Cuddie
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Cocci] Blocks Support?
@ 2018-04-17 14:40 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2018-04-17 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018, Mitchell Cuddie wrote:

> Has anyone looked at supporting the blocks extension in Coccinelle?
> https://clang.llvm.org/docs/BlockLanguageSpec.html
>
> There are a number of large projects like WebKit that could make use of
> Coccinelle if it could parse the code. Any thoughts?

Looking extremely quickly it looks like it could be possible.  Do you just
want the parser not to crash or to change this kind of code.  Could you
send a small typical example?

julia

* [Cocci] Blocks Support?
@ 2018-05-05 18:16   ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2018-05-05 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018, Julia Lawall wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2018, Mitchell Cuddie wrote:
>
> > Has anyone looked at supporting the blocks extension in Coccinelle?
> > https://clang.llvm.org/docs/BlockLanguageSpec.html
> >
> > There are a number of large projects like WebKit that could make use of
> > Coccinelle if it could parse the code. Any thoughts?
>
> Looking extremely quickly it looks like it could be possible.  Do you just
> want the parser not to crash or to change this kind of code.  Could you
> send a small typical example?

Currently, Coccinelle doesn't support nested function definitions.

Are these blocks used heavily in the code you are interested in?  If
Coccinelle can't parse one function, it will just move on to the next one.

julia

* [Cocci] Blocks Support?
@ 2018-05-09 15:48     ` Mitchell Cuddie
From: Mitchell Cuddie @ 2018-05-09 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

Julia,

The original patch I was looking at uses nested functions heavily and required modifying them. I will look for a different strategy on this patch and see if there is a better example elsewhere.

Mitchell