* Should rerere auto-update a merge resolution?
@ 2017-08-23 19:39 Martin Langhoff
From: Martin Langhoff @ 2017-08-23 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi List!

Let's say...
 - git v2.9.4
 - rerere is enabled.
 - I merge maint into master, resolve erroneously, commit
 - I publish my merge in a temp branch, a reviewer points out my mistake
 - I reset hard, retry the merge, using --no-commit, rerere  applies
what it knows
 - I fix things up, then commit

So far so good.

Oops! One of the branches has moved forward in the meantime, so

 - git fetch
 - git reset --hard master
 - git merge maint
... rerere applies the first (incorrect) resolution...

Am I doing it wrong? {C,Sh}ould rerere have done better?

cheers,

 martin.langhoff@gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions  ~  http://linkedin.com/in/martinlanghoff
 - don't be distracted        ~  http://github.com/martin-langhoff