* [Cocci] Checking data processing for parentheses in SmPL scripts
@ 2019-11-11 16:47 Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2019-11-11 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Coccinelle

Hello,

The following change specification gets accepted by the Coccinelle software.

@@
expression X;
@@
-((X-1)&X) == 0
+powerof2(X)

See also:
https://github.com/DragonFlyBSD/DragonFlyBSD/blob/722c3b8b6376deab9407ff00b5e63018ab3aef0b/test/cocci/useful_macros.cocci#L53

I got into the development mood to try another code variant out
for the semantic patch language.

@adjustment@
expression X;
@@
+powerof2(
-(X-1)&
 X)
- == 0

Unfortunately, the error message “unexpected close parenthesis in line 6”
is reported then.
Can an other change variation make sense finally?

Regards,
Markus

* Re: [Cocci] Checking data processing for parentheses in SmPL scripts
@ 2019-11-12  8:04 ` Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2019-11-12  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Coccinelle

> Unfortunately, the error message “unexpected close parenthesis in line 6”
> is reported then.

The following change specification gets accepted by the Coccinelle software.

@adjustment@
expression X;
@@
+powerof2
 (
-(X-1)&
 X)
- == 0

Would you like to discuss similar SmPL code variations any more?

@ 2019-11-12 13:23   ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2019-11-12 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Elfring; +Cc: Coccinelle

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019, Markus Elfring wrote:

> > Unfortunately, the error message “unexpected close parenthesis in line 6”
> > is reported then.
>
> The following change specification gets accepted by the Coccinelle software.
>
> @adjustment@
> expression X;
> @@
> +powerof2
>  (
> -(X-1)&
>  X)
> - == 0
>

> Would you like to discuss similar SmPL code variations any more?

What is the question, exactly?  Is there any reason why you would not
expect the above code to be accepted?

julia

@ 2019-11-12 16:01     ` Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2019-11-12 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: Coccinelle

> What is the question, exactly?

I became curious to clarify consequences around the error message
“unexpected close parenthesis in line 6” for the other SmPL code variant
from yesterday.
Is the Coccinelle software looking for pairs of parentheses?

@ 2019-11-12 16:07       ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2019-11-12 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Elfring; +Cc: Coccinelle