* [Qemu-devel] Problem with QEMU on KVM
@ 2010-04-10 20:09 Gerhard Wiesinger
From: Gerhard Wiesinger @ 2010-04-10 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello,

Booting DOS 6.22 with NT4 Bootloader works fine. With enabled KVM it
boots, but hangs at counting down the boot loader selection menu (30s,
29s, hang). Booting Knoppix 6.2 from CD wwith KVM orks well.

Versions (0.12.3):
x86_64-softmmu: OK
i386-softmmu: OK
x86_64-softmmu with -enable-kvm: Boot problem
i386-softmmu with -enable-kvm: Boot problem

Host is: Fedora 11
2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.x86 on AMD Phenom II Quad Core

Any ideas?

Thanx.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--
http://www.wiesinger.com/

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Problem with QEMU on KVM
@ 2010-04-11 10:19 ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2010-04-11 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerhard Wiesinger; +Cc: qemu-devel

Hi...

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 03:09, Gerhard Wiesinger <lists@wiesinger.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Booting DOS 6.22 with NT4 Bootloader works fine. With enabled KVM it boots,
> but hangs at counting down the boot loader selection menu (30s, 29s, hang).
> Booting Knoppix 6.2 from CD wwith KVM orks well.
>
> Versions (0.12.3):
> x86_64-softmmu: OK
> i386-softmmu: OK
> x86_64-softmmu with -enable-kvm: Boot problem
> i386-softmmu with -enable-kvm: Boot problem
>
> Host is: Fedora 11
> 2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.x86 on AMD Phenom II Quad Core

IMHO, the problem is, we have to find out first, how the bootloader do
the timing. Is it using tight loop? Counting from TSC? PIT? or else?

I suggest to dump the executed TB in Qemu. Please read about -d option.

NB: I am not an expert, just trying to help....

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Problem with QEMU on KVM
@ 2010-04-11 13:52   ` Gerhard Wiesinger
From: Gerhard Wiesinger @ 2010-04-11 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mulyadi Santosa; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:

> Hi...
>
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 03:09, Gerhard Wiesinger <lists@wiesinger.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Booting DOS 6.22 with NT4 Bootloader works fine. With enabled KVM it boots,
>> but hangs at counting down the boot loader selection menu (30s, 29s, hang).
>> Booting Knoppix 6.2 from CD wwith KVM orks well.
>>
>> Versions (0.12.3):
>> x86_64-softmmu: OK
>> i386-softmmu: OK
>> x86_64-softmmu with -enable-kvm: Boot problem
>> i386-softmmu with -enable-kvm: Boot problem
>>
>> Host is: Fedora 11
>> 2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.x86 on AMD Phenom II Quad Core
>
> IMHO, the problem is, we have to find out first, how the bootloader do
> the timing. Is it using tight loop? Counting from TSC? PIT? or else?
>
> I suggest to dump the executed TB in Qemu. Please read about -d option.
>
> NB: I am not an expert, just trying to help....

OK, uses the following ports:
Port 0x20: 8259 interrupt controller
Port 0x40: 8253 timer

Interrupt 0x1A:
ah=0x00: fetches system timer counters
ah=0x02: reads the clock
ah=0x04: fetches date

So there must be something wrong with KVM with the above functionality (I
guess the timers).

Ciao,
Gerhard

--

@ 2010-04-12  9:16     ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2010-04-12  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerhard Wiesinger; +Cc: qemu-devel

Hi Gerhard...

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 20:52, Gerhard Wiesinger <lists@wiesinger.com> wrote:
> OK, uses the following ports:
> Port 0x20: 8259 interrupt controller
> Port 0x40: 8253 timer
>
> Interrupt 0x1A:
> ah=0x00: fetches system timer counters
> ah=0x02: reads the clock
> ah=0x04: fetches date
>
> So there must be something wrong with KVM with the above functionality (I
> guess the timers).

Hmm, my silly guess is, maybe the timer is seen as decremented....or
at least "stuck".

I have very little knowledge about git, but maybe you can start doing
git bisect to narrow which git commit that introduce such behaviour.
Meanwhile, let's wait for comments from one of the KVM developers.

--

@ 2010-04-12 12:07       ` Jamie Lokier
From: Jamie Lokier @ 2010-04-12 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mulyadi Santosa; +Cc: Gerhard Wiesinger, qemu-devel

Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
> Hi Gerhard...
>
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 20:52, Gerhard Wiesinger <lists@wiesinger.com> wrote:
> > OK, uses the following ports:
> > Port 0x20: 8259 interrupt controller
> > Port 0x40: 8253 timer
> >
> > Interrupt 0x1A:
> > ah=0x00: fetches system timer counters
> > ah=0x02: reads the clock
> > ah=0x04: fetches date
> >
> > So there must be something wrong with KVM with the above functionality (I
> > guess the timers).
>
> Hmm, my silly guess is, maybe the timer is seen as decremented....or
> at least "stuck".
>
> I have very little knowledge about git, but maybe you can start doing
> git bisect to narrow which git commit that introduce such behaviour.
> Meanwhile, let's wait for comments from one of the KVM developers.

There are various -no-kvm-XXX options to try:

-no-kvm-irqchip disable KVM kernel mode PIC/IOAPIC/LAPIC
-no-kvm-pit     disable KVM kernel mode PIT
-no-kvm-pit-reinjection disable KVM kernel mode PIT interrupt reinjection

Any of them might be causing this problem.

They disable in-kernel emulation of the interrupt controller and timer
chips, and force the qemu version to be used.  It's possible the
in-kernel emulation is buggier than the qemu version.

-- Jamie

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Problem with QEMU on KVM
@ 2010-04-13  0:28         ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2010-04-13  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamie Lokier; +Cc: Gerhard Wiesinger, qemu-devel

Hi Jamie...

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 19:07, Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org> wrote:
> There are various -no-kvm-XXX options to try:
>
> -no-kvm-irqchip disable KVM kernel mode PIC/IOAPIC/LAPIC
> -no-kvm-pit     disable KVM kernel mode PIT
> -no-kvm-pit-reinjection disable KVM kernel mode PIT interrupt reinjection

I try to read the source code without too much luck understanding the
meaning of the above parameters, especially the reinjection. Please
CMIIW, interrupt reinjection is a way to handle lost ticks, right?

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* [Qemu-devel] Re: Problem with QEMU on KVM
@ 2010-04-13 16:32           ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2010-04-13 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mulyadi Santosa; +Cc: Gerhard Wiesinger, qemu-devel

Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
> Hi Jamie...
>
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 19:07, Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org> wrote:
>> There are various -no-kvm-XXX options to try:
>>
>> -no-kvm-irqchip disable KVM kernel mode PIC/IOAPIC/LAPIC
>> -no-kvm-pit     disable KVM kernel mode PIT
>> -no-kvm-pit-reinjection disable KVM kernel mode PIT interrupt reinjection
>
> I try to read the source code without too much luck understanding the
> meaning of the above parameters, especially the reinjection. Please
> CMIIW, interrupt reinjection is a way to handle lost ticks, right?

Those switches only exist in the qemu-kvm branch. The fact that
-enable-kvm has some effect for you makes me think that you tried
upstream KVM support (ie. the one that comes with vanilla QEMU), right?

It would be interesting to check if you can reproduce the problem also
with qemu-kvm(-0.12.3 or git head). As you may also face an issue of the
kvm kernel bits, it would be furthermore helpful to check with the
latest kernel from kvm.git or the modules build via kvm-kmod as well.

Jan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Problem with QEMU on KVM
@ 2010-04-13 19:38         ` Gerhard Wiesinger
From: Gerhard Wiesinger @ 2010-04-13 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamie Lokier; +Cc: Mulyadi Santosa, qemu-devel

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
>> Hi Gerhard...
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 20:52, Gerhard Wiesinger <lists@wiesinger.com> wrote:
>>> OK, uses the following ports:
>>> Port 0x20: 8259 interrupt controller
>>> Port 0x40: 8253 timer
>>>
>>> Interrupt 0x1A:
>>> ah=0x00: fetches system timer counters
>>> ah=0x02: reads the clock
>>> ah=0x04: fetches date
>>>
>>> So there must be something wrong with KVM with the above functionality (I
>>> guess the timers).
>>
>> Hmm, my silly guess is, maybe the timer is seen as decremented....or
>> at least "stuck".
>>
>> I have very little knowledge about git, but maybe you can start doing
>> git bisect to narrow which git commit that introduce such behaviour.
>> Meanwhile, let's wait for comments from one of the KVM developers.
>
> There are various -no-kvm-XXX options to try:
>
> -no-kvm-irqchip disable KVM kernel mode PIC/IOAPIC/LAPIC
> -no-kvm-pit     disable KVM kernel mode PIT
> -no-kvm-pit-reinjection disable KVM kernel mode PIT interrupt reinjection
>
> Any of them might be causing this problem.
>
> They disable in-kernel emulation of the interrupt controller and timer
> chips, and force the qemu version to be used.  It's possible the
> in-kernel emulation is buggier than the qemu version.

Hello Jamie, thanx so far.

I'm starting in this way:
/root/download/qemu/qemu-0.12.3/x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -a_lot_of_other_options

All options you mentioned don't work:
/root/download/qemu/qemu-0.12.3/x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64: invalid option -- '-no-kvm-irqchip'
/root/download/qemu/qemu-0.12.3/x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64: invalid option -- '-no-kvm-pit'
/root/download/qemu/qemu-0.12.3/x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64: invalid option -- '-no-kvm-no-kvm-irqchip'

Is there another way of startup or is it working only on newer versions?

BTW: For me it is very unclear what's the difference between the
following commands:
qemu
qemu -enable-kvm
kvm

How can I build the kvm executable? Different source tree? Newer version
from branch?

Maybe someone can explain the different versions of qemu/kvm and branches
etc. and possible features in detail.

Thnx.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--
http://www.wiesinger.com/

* [Qemu-devel] Re: Problem with QEMU on KVM
@ 2010-04-19  6:45             ` Gerhard Wiesinger
From: Gerhard Wiesinger @ 2010-04-19  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Mulyadi Santosa, qemu-devel

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Jan Kiszka wrote:

> Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
>> Hi Jamie...
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 19:07, Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org> wrote:
>>> There are various -no-kvm-XXX options to try:
>>>
>>> -no-kvm-irqchip disable KVM kernel mode PIC/IOAPIC/LAPIC
>>> -no-kvm-pit     disable KVM kernel mode PIT
>>> -no-kvm-pit-reinjection disable KVM kernel mode PIT interrupt reinjection
>>
>> I try to read the source code without too much luck understanding the
>> meaning of the above parameters, especially the reinjection. Please
>> CMIIW, interrupt reinjection is a way to handle lost ticks, right?
>
> Those switches only exist in the qemu-kvm branch. The fact that
> -enable-kvm has some effect for you makes me think that you tried
> upstream KVM support (ie. the one that comes with vanilla QEMU), right?

I tried 0.12.3 stable and also qemu git master:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/qemu.git/log/

> It would be interesting to check if you can reproduce the problem also
> with qemu-kvm(-0.12.3 or git head). As you may also face an issue of the
> kvm kernel bits, it would be furthermore helpful to check with the
> latest kernel from kvm.git or the modules build via kvm-kmod as well.

Can you please post links to the different git repositories, since a lot
of different repositories exist here (qemu-kvm and kernel).

Thnx.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--
http://www.wiesinger.com/

* [Qemu-devel] Re: Problem with QEMU on KVM
@ 2010-04-19 10:39               ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2010-04-19 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerhard Wiesinger; +Cc: Mulyadi Santosa, qemu-devel

Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>
>> Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
>>> Hi Jamie...

>>> I try to read the source code without too much luck understanding the
>>> meaning of the above parameters, especially the reinjection. Please
>>> CMIIW, interrupt reinjection is a way to handle lost ticks, right?
>> Those switches only exist in the qemu-kvm branch. The fact that
>> -enable-kvm has some effect for you makes me think that you tried
>> upstream KVM support (ie. the one that comes with vanilla QEMU), right?
>>

> I tried 0.12.3 stable and also qemu git master:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/qemu.git/log/
>
>> It would be interesting to check if you can reproduce the problem also
>> with qemu-kvm(-0.12.3 or git head). As you may also face an issue of the
>> kvm kernel bits, it would be furthermore helpful to check with the
>> latest kernel from kvm.git or the modules build via kvm-kmod as well.
>
> Can you please post links to the different git repositories, since a lot
> of different repositories exist here (qemu-kvm and kernel).

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Code

HTH,
Jan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Problem with QEMU on KVM
@ 2010-04-19 18:37 ` Gerhard Wiesinger
From: Gerhard Wiesinger @ 2010-04-19 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: qemu-devel, Gerd Hoffmann

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Booting DOS 6.22 with NT4 Bootloader works fine. With enabled KVM it boots,
> but hangs at counting down the boot loader selection menu (30s, 29s, hang).
> Booting Knoppix 6.2 from CD wwith KVM orks well.
>
> Versions (0.12.3):
> x86_64-softmmu: OK
> i386-softmmu: OK
> x86_64-softmmu with -enable-kvm: Boot problem
> i386-softmmu with -enable-kvm: Boot problem
>
> Host is: Fedora 11
> 2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.x86 on AMD Phenom II Quad Core

Hello,

OK, works well with version from
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/virt/kvm/qemu-kvm.git

The only thing which is broken so far in DOS: PS/2 mouse does not work
correctly with VNC (buttons are pressed even if no button is pressed, position is
random). This also happens with the unstable version of QEMU, so this is
looks like not to be KVM related:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/qemu.git/
(Works well with 0.12.3 stable)

Any ideas from which change this might come (PS/2 mouse code seems to be
stable only keyboard LEDs added by Gerd)?

Ciao,
Gerhard

--

@ 2010-04-21  0:36   ` Jamie Lokier
From: Jamie Lokier @ 2010-04-21  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerhard Wiesinger; +Cc: qemu-devel, Gerd Hoffmann

Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
> Any ideas from which change this might come (PS/2 mouse code seems to be
> stable only keyboard LEDs added by Gerd)?

No, but you might find it with "git bisect" since you have a working
and non-working version.

-- Jamie

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Problem with QEMU on KVM
@ 2010-04-21 18:20     ` Gerhard Wiesinger
From: Gerhard Wiesinger @ 2010-04-21 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamie Lokier; +Cc: qemu-devel, Gerd Hoffmann

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
>> Any ideas from which change this might come (PS/2 mouse code seems to be
>> stable only keyboard LEDs added by Gerd)?
>
> No, but you might find it with "git bisect" since you have a working
> and non-working version.

Tried that, but no useful output (at least for me):
git bisect start
git bisect bad
git bisect good v0.12.3
Bisecting: a merge base must be tested
[749717a0ea2f60d33d01c1e37fa24dfa7250dfc0] Add S390 maintainer information

Had also a look at ps2.c/ps2.h, pckbd.c: There were no changes which could
explain such a behaviour. Also keyboard is very strange which switches to
CAPS LOCK (shift state) very unmotivated.

Can someone reproduce this behaviour, maybe with VNC and also with SDL?

Any further ideas?

Thnx.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--

@ 2010-04-22 10:47       ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2010-04-22 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerhard Wiesinger; +Cc: qemu-devel

   Hi,

> Had also a look at ps2.c/ps2.h, pckbd.c: There were no changes which
> could explain such a behaviour. Also keyboard is very strange which
> switches to CAPS LOCK (shift state) very unmotivated.

Hmm.  Recent qemu tries hard to make sure vncviewer and guest
capslock/numlock state are in sync.  It is a heuristic though and can
fail in certain cases.  Try "-vnc $display,no-lock-key-sync", does that
help?

cheers,
   Gerd

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Problem with QEMU on KVM
@ 2010-04-23 19:50         ` Gerhard Wiesinger
From: Gerhard Wiesinger @ 2010-04-23 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Hoffmann; +Cc: Anthony Liguori, qemu-devel

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>> Had also a look at ps2.c/ps2.h, pckbd.c: There were no changes which
>> could explain such a behaviour. Also keyboard is very strange which
>> switches to CAPS LOCK (shift state) very unmotivated.
>
> Hmm.  Recent qemu tries hard to make sure vncviewer and guest
> capslock/numlock state are in sync.  It is a heuristic though and can fail in
> certain cases.  Try "-vnc $display,no-lock-key-sync", does that help?

Tracked down the problem of the mouse that te mouse is in absolute
mouse mode (verified by logging, therefore coordinates are very high and absolute
and not relative):
static void pointer_event(VncState *vs, int button_mask, int x, int y)
{
     if (vs->absolute) {
         kbd_mouse_event(ds_get_width(vs->ds) > 1 ?
                           x * 0x7FFF / (ds_get_width(vs->ds) - 1) : 0x4000,
                         ds_get_height(vs->ds) > 1 ?
                           y * 0x7FFF / (ds_get_height(vs->ds) - 1) : 0x4000,
                         dz, buttons);
     } else if (vnc_has_feature(vs, VNC_FEATURE_POINTER_TYPE_CHANGE)) {
         x -= 0x7FFF;
         y -= 0x7FFF;
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// We get here in (verified by core dump), but we should get into last
// else
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
         kbd_mouse_event(x, y, dz, buttons);
     } else {
         if (vs->last_x != -1)
             kbd_mouse_event(x - vs->last_x,
                             y - vs->last_y,
                             dz, buttons);
         vs->last_x = x;
         vs->last_y = y;
     }

}

Guess problems comes from the following commit (not yet verified):
commit 37c34d9d5d87ea9d51760310c8863b82cb8c055a
Author: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@us.ibm.com>
Date:   Wed Mar 10 09:38:29 2010 -0600

     input: make vnc use mouse mode notifiers

     When we switch to absolute mode, we send out a notification (if the client
     supports it).  Today, we only send this notification when the client sends us
     a mouse event and we're in the wrong mode.

     Signed-off-by: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@us.ibm.com>

Ciao,
Gerhard

--

@ 2010-04-24  6:58           ` Gerhard Wiesinger
From: Gerhard Wiesinger @ 2010-04-24  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Anthony Liguori, Gerd Hoffmann

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>> Had also a look at ps2.c/ps2.h, pckbd.c: There were no changes which
>>> could explain such a behaviour. Also keyboard is very strange which
>>> switches to CAPS LOCK (shift state) very unmotivated.
>>
>> Hmm.  Recent qemu tries hard to make sure vncviewer and guest
>> capslock/numlock state are in sync.  It is a heuristic though and can fail
>> in certain cases.  Try "-vnc $display,no-lock-key-sync", does that help?
>
> Tracked down the problem of the mouse that te mouse is in absolute mouse mode
> (verified by logging, therefore coordinates are very high and absolute and
> not relative):
> static void pointer_event(VncState *vs, int button_mask, int x, int y)
> {
>    if (vs->absolute) {
>        kbd_mouse_event(ds_get_width(vs->ds) > 1 ?
>                          x * 0x7FFF / (ds_get_width(vs->ds) - 1) : 0x4000,
>                        ds_get_height(vs->ds) > 1 ?
>                          y * 0x7FFF / (ds_get_height(vs->ds) - 1) : 0x4000,
>                        dz, buttons);
>    } else if (vnc_has_feature(vs, VNC_FEATURE_POINTER_TYPE_CHANGE)) {
>        x -= 0x7FFF;
>        y -= 0x7FFF;
> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
> // We get here in (verified by core dump), but we should get into last
> // else
> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>        kbd_mouse_event(x, y, dz, buttons);
>    } else {
>        if (vs->last_x != -1)
>            kbd_mouse_event(x - vs->last_x,
>                            y - vs->last_y,
>                            dz, buttons);
>        vs->last_x = x;
>        vs->last_y = y;
>    }

> }
>
> Guess problems comes from the following commit (not yet verified):
> commit 37c34d9d5d87ea9d51760310c8863b82cb8c055a
> Author: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@us.ibm.com>
> Date:   Wed Mar 10 09:38:29 2010 -0600
>
>    input: make vnc use mouse mode notifiers
>
>    When we switch to absolute mode, we send out a notification (if the
> client
>    supports it).  Today, we only send this notification when the client
> sends us
>    a mouse event and we're in the wrong mode.
>
>    Signed-off-by: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@us.ibm.com>

Ok, verified:
git revert -n 37c34d9d5d87ea9d51760310c8863b82cb8c055a
=> works well.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--

@ 2010-05-04  5:09             ` Gerhard Wiesinger
From: Gerhard Wiesinger @ 2010-05-04  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Anthony Liguori, Gerd Hoffmann

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
>> Guess problems comes from the following commit (not yet verified):
>> commit 37c34d9d5d87ea9d51760310c8863b82cb8c055a
>> Author: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@us.ibm.com>
>> Date:   Wed Mar 10 09:38:29 2010 -0600
>>
>>    input: make vnc use mouse mode notifiers
>>
>>    When we switch to absolute mode, we send out a notification (if the
>> client
>>    supports it).  Today, we only send this notification when the client
>> sends us
>>    a mouse event and we're in the wrong mode.
>>
>>    Signed-off-by: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@us.ibm.com>
>

> Ok, verified:
> git revert -n 37c34d9d5d87ea9d51760310c8863b82cb8c055a
> => works well.

Still got no feedback and saw no further changes to fix this problem.

Thnx.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--

@ 2010-05-04 13:32               ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2010-05-04 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerhard Wiesinger; +Cc: qemu-devel, Gerd Hoffmann

On 05/04/2010 12:09 AM, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
>>> Guess problems comes from the following commit (not yet verified):
>>> commit 37c34d9d5d87ea9d51760310c8863b82cb8c055a
>>> Author: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@us.ibm.com>
>>> Date:   Wed Mar 10 09:38:29 2010 -0600
>>>
>>>    input: make vnc use mouse mode notifiers
>>>
>>>    When we switch to absolute mode, we send out a notification (if
>>> the client
>>>    supports it).  Today, we only send this notification when the
>>> client sends us
>>>    a mouse event and we're in the wrong mode.
>>>
>>>    Signed-off-by: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@us.ibm.com>
>>

>> Ok, verified:
>> git revert -n 37c34d9d5d87ea9d51760310c8863b82cb8c055a
>> => works well.
>
> Still got no feedback and saw no further changes to fix this problem.

Fix is on the list.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

> Thnx.
>
> Ciao,
> Gerhard
>
> --
> http://www.wiesinger.com/

* Problem with QEMU / KVM
@ 2010-05-04 21:30                   ` K D
From: K D @ 2010-05-04 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori, Gerhard Wiesinger; +Cc: qemu-devel, kvm, Gerd Hoffmann

Hi

I built 2.6.27.10 kernel with KVM configured as built-in.

CONFIG_HAVE_KVM=y
CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION=y
CONFIG_KVM=y
CONFIG_KVM_INTEL=y

I built qemu-kvm 0.12.2 from sources pointing to above kernel. When I spawn a VM, it hangs at boot. Pl see below. I copied qemu-kvm binary and bios, vga etc binaries. I installed grub on a manually created img file. This image has nothing but grub, its stage1,1_5,stage2, my kernel and initrd files.

Am spawning VM as below:

qemu-system-x86_64 -hda vmhd.img -L . -curses -show-cursor

grub> root (hd0,0)

grub> kernel /boot/vmos root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=32768 rw single
   [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1800, size=0x1cb9b0]

grub> initrd /boot/initrdfs.gz
   [Linux-initrd @ 0x6751000, 0x189b587 bytes]

grub> boot

I copied all these binaries from my dev host to this linux box.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 131072 May  2 21:31 bios.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   1025 May  2 21:31 linuxboot.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   1024 May  2 21:31 multiboot.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 524288 May  2 21:31 ppc_rom.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  72192 May  2 21:31 pxe-e1000.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  56832 May  2 21:31 pxe-i82559er.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  56320 May  2 21:31 pxe-ne2k_pci.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  56832 May  2 21:31 pxe-pcnet.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  56320 May  2 21:31 pxe-rtl8139.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  56320 May  2 21:31 pxe-virtio.bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   8960 May  2 21:31 vapic.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  35840 May  2 21:31 vgabios-cirrus.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  39936 May  2 21:31 vgabios.bin

Appreciate your help.

________________________________
On 05/04/2010 12:09 AM, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
>>> Guess problems comes from the following commit (not yet verified):
>>> commit 37c34d9d5d87ea9d51760310c8863b82cb8c055a
>>> Author: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@us.ibm.com>
>>> Date:   Wed Mar 10 09:38:29 2010 -0600
>>>
>>>    input: make vnc use mouse mode notifiers
>>>
>>>    When we switch to absolute mode, we send out a notification (if the client
>>>    supports it).  Today, we only send this notification when the client sends us
>>>    a mouse event and we're in the wrong mode.
>>>
>>>    Signed-off-by: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@us.ibm.com>
>>

>> Ok, verified:
>> git revert -n 37c34d9d5d87ea9d51760310c8863b82cb8c055a
>> => works well.
>
> Still got no feedback and saw no further changes to fix this problem.

Fix is on the list.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

> Thnx.