* No GSOs to i40e with VXLAN
@ 2014-06-14  0:15 Joseph Gasparakis
From: Joseph Gasparakis @ 2014-06-14  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: therbert; +Cc: netdev, jesse.brandeburg

Hi all,

I quickly tested VXLAN on i40e with net-next with commit id
f9da455b93f6ba076935b4ef4589f61e529ae046 and the i40e driver has stopped
receiving GSOs even when advertising tx-udp_tnl-segmentation which means
our VXLAN segmentation offload. I am guessing this has something to do
with Tom's recent UDP work but this is just a guess as unfortunatly I
do not have the time to debug this, but I am signing up to review and test
patches fixing this issue.

The driver still gets GSOs with non VXLAN traffic (tested with TCP).

Thanks

Joseph

* Re: No GSOs to i40e with VXLAN
@ 2014-06-14  1:59 ` Tom Herbert
From: Tom Herbert @ 2014-06-14  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Gasparakis; +Cc: Linux Netdev List, Brandeburg, Jesse

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Joseph Gasparakis
<joseph.gasparakis@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I quickly tested VXLAN on i40e with net-next with commit id
> f9da455b93f6ba076935b4ef4589f61e529ae046 and the i40e driver has stopped
> receiving GSOs even when advertising tx-udp_tnl-segmentation which means
> our VXLAN segmentation offload. I am guessing this has something to do
> with Tom's recent UDP work but this is just a guess as unfortunatly I
> do not have the time to debug this, but I am signing up to review and test
> patches fixing this issue.

I verified tunnel offload works properly with bnx2x (I'm using simple
vxlan interfaces not OVS).

One possibility I can think of is that UDP checksums are somehow
enabled. If you're using IPv6 this probably the case (but I assume
you're seeing this with IPv4). If checksums are inadvertently enabled
somehow in IPv4 this should should up in tcpdump on the Ethernet
interface.

Thanks,
Tom

> The driver still gets GSOs with non VXLAN traffic (tested with TCP).
>
> Thanks
>
> Joseph

* Re: No GSOs to i40e with VXLAN
@ 2014-06-14  2:33   ` Eric Dumazet
From: Eric Dumazet @ 2014-06-14  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Herbert; +Cc: Joseph Gasparakis, Linux Netdev List, Brandeburg, Jesse

On Fri, 2014-06-13 at 18:59 -0700, Tom Herbert wrote:

> I verified tunnel offload works properly with bnx2x (I'm using simple
> vxlan interfaces not OVS).
>
> One possibility I can think of is that UDP checksums are somehow
> enabled. If you're using IPv6 this probably the case (but I assume
> you're seeing this with IPv4). If checksums are inadvertently enabled
> somehow in IPv4 this should should up in tcpdump on the Ethernet
> interface.

Tom, I have a pair of hosts with i40e NIC, I can give you access to.

* Re: No GSOs to i40e with VXLAN
@ 2014-06-14  4:38   ` Joseph Gasparakis
From: Joseph Gasparakis @ 2014-06-14  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Herbert; +Cc: Joseph Gasparakis, Linux Netdev List, Brandeburg, Jesse

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014, Tom Herbert wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Joseph Gasparakis
> <joseph.gasparakis@intel.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I quickly tested VXLAN on i40e with net-next with commit id
> > f9da455b93f6ba076935b4ef4589f61e529ae046 and the i40e driver has stopped
> > receiving GSOs even when advertising tx-udp_tnl-segmentation which means
> > our VXLAN segmentation offload. I am guessing this has something to do
> > with Tom's recent UDP work but this is just a guess as unfortunatly I
> > do not have the time to debug this, but I am signing up to review and test
> > patches fixing this issue.
> >
> I verified tunnel offload works properly with bnx2x (I'm using simple
> vxlan interfaces not OVS).

Ok, I will try to have a quick look at bnx2x and i40e and see the
differences in what the two drivers advertise in terms of netdev features and
hw_enc_features.

> One possibility I can think of is that UDP checksums are somehow
> enabled. If you're using IPv6 this probably the case (but I assume
> you're seeing this with IPv4). If checksums are inadvertently enabled
> somehow in IPv4 this should should up in tcpdump on the Ethernet
> interface.

Let me explain a bit my setup:

I am using two linux boxes back to back, on my DUT I have an i40e and I
am bringing a vxlan interface in both machines. No bridge, no VMs, no OVS.

I am using some simple perl scripts using TCP sockets to send a number of
bytes from DUT to my link partner and even if I send 50k in one message I
don't see any GSOs. Instead I get many non-GSO skbs leading me to the
conclusion that the stack must have segmented the skb before passing it on
to the driver. I am also using netperf with TCP_STREAM and I don't see any
GSOs either. All the above done using IPv4 only. And if I do the same on
the i40e interface instead of vxlan I do see GSOs again.

Both these tests would result to the stack sending GSOs last time I did a
smoke test on vxlan and i40e (about 3 weeks ago or so...).

The checksum offloads seem to be working as before however.

Thanks

Joseph

> Thanks,
> Tom
>
> > The driver still gets GSOs with non VXLAN traffic (tested with TCP).
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Joseph

* Re: No GSOs to i40e with VXLAN
@ 2014-06-14 18:38     ` Tom Herbert
From: Tom Herbert @ 2014-06-14 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Gasparakis; +Cc: Linux Netdev List, Brandeburg, Jesse

I was able to debug the issue (thanks for lending me the machines with
i40 Eric!). Problem is that SKB_GSO_* bits are out of sync with the
corresponding NETIF flags. I post a fix today along with adding the
BUILD_BUG_ONs in net_gso_ok that are intended to detect this.

Thanks,
Tom

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 9:38 PM, Joseph Gasparakis

* Re: No GSOs to i40e with VXLAN
@ 2014-06-15  0:04       ` Joseph Gasparakis
From: Joseph Gasparakis @ 2014-06-15  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Herbert; +Cc: Joseph Gasparakis, Linux Netdev List, Brandeburg, Jesse

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014, Tom Herbert wrote:

> I was able to debug the issue (thanks for lending me the machines with
> i40 Eric!). Problem is that SKB_GSO_* bits are out of sync with the
> corresponding NETIF flags. I post a fix today along with adding the
> BUILD_BUG_ONs in net_gso_ok that are intended to detect this.

Thanks for this Tom. Looking forward to your patch.