* Improve my Rep
@ 2014-09-15 14:38 Nick Krause
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-09-15 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

After issues with the community I am wondering how to improve my rep
and help out more.
I will start out with check patch but if there is other work please
let me known :).

* Improve my Rep
@ 2014-09-15 14:48 ` Greg Freemyer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2014-09-15 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
> After issues with the community I am wondering how to improve my rep
> and help out more.
> I will start out with check patch but if there is other work please
> let me known :).

Sorry, check.patch is a great tool but sending in patches that merely
correct issues found by check.patch won't help your rep.

check.patch should be used on every submission, but as a reason on its
own to submit a patch, it is very weak.  Lots of day-one kernel
programmers want to jump on check.patch identified code clean-ups, but
in general the maintainers don't want to accept patches that are
merely going to clean up check.patch identified issues.

If there are check.patch related problems in the area you want to
patch, then a 2 patch series is the minimum you should send in:

1/2 - clean up check.patch related issues prior to submitting actual fix
2/2 - actual fix

fyi: submitting a patch to do a fix that fails check.patch is
definitely a reason for a patch to be rejected.

Greg

* Improve my Rep
@ 2014-09-15 14:54 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-09-15 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:38:58 -0400, Nick Krause said:
> After issues with the community I am wondering how to improve my rep
> and help out more.

Quite frankly, I'd suggest going and spending a year or two helping
another open source project.

> I will start out with check patch but if there is other work please
> let me known :).

There is no kernel work for people who are unable to submit correct
patches even after multiple tries, sorry.  We don't have enough maintainers
to guide people the amount you seem to require.
> After issues with the community I am wondering how to improve my rep
> and help out more.
> I will start out with check patch but if there is other work please
> let me known :).
>
> Seriously, you are beyond help.
A lot of people have tried to answer your mails, correct your patches and
give you correct advice, but you choose to ignore all of that.
This behaviour qualifies as either a) Trolling or b) you need medical
help(as a lot of people pointed out on LKML).
So please seriously stop, I am not sure what are you trying to achieve by
posting here, but it is just noise and annoyance to everyone.

Thank you
Warm Regards
Anuz
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Improve my Rep
@ 2014-09-15 15:22   ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-09-15 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
<chambilkethakur@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> After issues with the community I am wondering how to improve my rep
>> and help out more.
>> I will start out with check patch but if there is other work please
>> let me known :).
>>
> Seriously, you are beyond help.
> A lot of people have tried to answer your mails, correct your patches and
> give you correct advice, but you choose to ignore all of that.
> This behaviour qualifies as either a) Trolling or b) you need medical
> help(as a lot of people pointed out on LKML).
> So please seriously stop, I am not sure what are you trying to achieve by
> posting here, but it is just noise and annoyance to everyone.

> Thank you
> Warm Regards
> Anuz
 I am sure I can help. Seems I need to be more careful with my patches.
Nick

* Improve my Rep
@ 2014-09-15 16:03     ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-09-15 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:22:52 -0400, Nick Krause said:

>  I am sure I can help. Seems I need to be more careful with my patches.

It also seems you are *unable* to be more careful with your patches, because
you've been told to do so on multiple occasions by multiple people.

Nick - face it.  You've been attempting to submit patches for 2 months now,
and *still* haven't succeeded in producing a correct patch.  I hope you
understand why the kernel community is convinced that you're either mentally
unable to handle it, or that you're intentionally trying to produce bad
patches.

Seriously - submitting more bad patches does *not* help your reputation.
About the only way you're *ever* going to get it fixed is if you *leave*
the kernel community entirely, go find another project, establish a good
solid reputation as a reliable contributor, and come back in a few years.

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
> <chambilkethakur@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> After issues with the community I am wondering how to improve my rep
> >> and help out more.
> >> I will start out with check patch but if there is other work please
> >> let me known :).
> >>
> > Seriously, you are beyond help.
> > A lot of people have tried to answer your mails, correct your patches and
> > give you correct advice, but you choose to ignore all of that.
> > This behaviour qualifies as either a) Trolling or b) you need medical
> > help(as a lot of people pointed out on LKML).
> > So please seriously stop, I am not sure what are you trying to achieve by
> > posting here, but it is just noise and annoyance to everyone.
> >
> > --
> > Thank you
> > Warm Regards
> > Anuz

>  I am sure I can help. Seems I need to be more careful with my patches.
> Nick

  but this is what you say every single time, without fail, and it's
at the point where i don't believe you actually read what other people
have written. regardless of the excruciating detail from others about
the crappiness of your "patches", your reply is generally little more
than, "i guess i better test my patches more. thanks for the info."

  then you go off, f**k things up even worse, submit more garbage,
people take the time to point that out, again in excruciating detail,
to which you invariably respond (yet again), "gee, i guess i really
should test my patches more. thanks for your patience." and on and on
and on. sometimes, inexplicably, you even add a smiley face as if this
is amusing on some level.

  you never show contrition or even the slightest hint of remorse for
screwing things up as badly as you do, and wasting everyone's time. in
the face of mounting frustration with your incompetence, it's always,
"gosh, i guess i better test my patches more. thanks for the info."
and the cycle continues ...

  prediction? if nick responds to this message, well, you know what i
think he's going to say. le *sigh* ...

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Improve my Rep
@ 2014-09-15 17:54       ` Raphael Philipe
From: Raphael Philipe @ 2014-09-15 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I suggest you Nick try to finish Eudyptula Challenge, read some books
(Linux Kernel Development 3rd, Linux Device Drivers 3rd, Professional
Linux Kernel Architecture ...)  before posting any patch.

* Improve my Rep
@ 2014-09-15 19:02         ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2014-09-15 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014, Raphael Philipe wrote:

> I suggest you Nick try to finish Eudyptula Challenge, read some books
> (Linux Kernel Development 3rd, Linux Device Drivers 3rd, Professional
> Linux Kernel Architecture ...)  before posting any patch.

  i believe nick was kicked out of the challenge on the very first
task, for *immediately* asking on this very mailing list how to do it.
ah, yes, here it is:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/newbies/msg52905.html

the irony is overwhelming, is it not?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Improve my Rep
@ 2014-09-15 21:13           ` Jake Campbell
From: Jake Campbell @ 2014-09-15 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Is there any other challenges out there similar to Eudyptula that Nick
could follow instead since he was kicked out?

I'm asking for my benefit (being a Kernel Newbie in training myself) and
hopefully for Nick's as well.

@ 2014-09-15 22:01             ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-09-15 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:13:42 -0600, Jake Campbell said:
> Is there any other challenges out there similar to Eudyptula that Nick
> could follow instead since he was kicked out?

The vast majority of such things have a "must be able to follow the
rules and guidelines" requirement, so I fear Nick may not have many options
there.

> I'm asking for my benefit (being a Kernel Newbie in training myself) and

The bar for hacking kernel code isn't *that* high - I'll go out on a limb
and say that over half the kernel was written by people with relatively
low skill levels who would have to work hard to get through Eudyptula. There's
a *lot* of code that boils down to "I need *this* 3 line tweak to make driver
xxyzzy-pci work on my Frobnizz-2000".

All it takes is actually understanding C, a basic understanding of how locking
works and when and why it's needed, a willingness to learn that part of the
kernel API that relates to the task you're working on, and the ability to
actually listen to those mentoring you.

Find something small you care about, and dive in! :)

From: Bernd Petrovitsch @ 2014-09-16  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, 2014-09-15 at 10:38 -0400, Nick Krause wrote:
> After issues with the community I am wondering how to improve my rep

Since you ignore good advice from *lots of* people and you are incapable
to learn anything: by going somewhere else and not trolling here around.

	Bernd
--
"I dislike type abstraction if it has no real reason. And saving
on typing is not a good reason - if your typing speed is the main