* [Qemu-devel] Qemu with GDB - Query
@ 2015-01-24 14:16 manish tiwari
From: manish tiwari @ 2015-01-24 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello everyone,

I am new to QEMU and trying to attach gdb with qemu on powepc host.

I have tried below options

qemu-system-ppc -enable-kvm -nographic -m 512 -M ppce500 -cpu e500mc -gdb
tcp::1234 -s -S -kernel uImage -initrd rootfs.ext2.gz -append
"root=/dev/ram rw console=ttyS0,115200" -serial tcp::4444,server,

With the above command I have attached gdb with qemu.
Now I am not sure what needs to be done on host side(I have cross compiled
GDB in the Host file system).

Please help me what i need to do in host side ?

Thanks & Regards
Manish Tiwari

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu with GDB - Query
@ 2015-01-27 18:15 ` Maciej W. Rozycki
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2015-01-27 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: manish tiwari; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Sat, 24 Jan 2015, manish tiwari wrote:

> I am new to QEMU and trying to attach gdb with qemu on powepc host.
>
> I have tried below options
>
> qemu-system-ppc -enable-kvm -nographic -m 512 -M ppce500 -cpu e500mc -gdb
> tcp::1234 -s -S -kernel uImage -initrd rootfs.ext2.gz -append
> "root=/dev/ram rw console=ttyS0,115200" -serial tcp::4444,server,
>

> With the above command I have attached gdb with qemu.
> Now I am not sure what needs to be done on host side(I have cross compiled
> GDB in the Host file system).
>
> Please help me what i need to do in host side ?

 So far you only enabled QEMU's RSP stub so that you can attach with GDB
later on (RSP stands for GDB's Remote Serial Protocol).  So to attach from
GDB you now need to issue a command like:

(gdb) target remote system_running_qemu:1234

from the machine you have GDB on.  Substitute `system_running_qemu' above
with the name of the machine you have started QEMU on; if it is the same
machine as one that runs GDB, then you can omit this part altogether.

 For the record, this is a QEMU developers' list, such questions are best
directed to a place dedicated to QEMU users.  I am sure your favourite
Internet search engine will be able to locate such a place for you.
Please post your any further questions there rather than here.  Thank you.

  Maciej