* looking for decent, current online discussion of user-space drivers
@ 2015-11-17 10:13 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2015-11-17 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

  a colleague asks me about the implications of porting a pile of code
from a non-linux embedded OS to linux, and simply rewriting most of it
as user-space drivers, as opposed to a total rewrite to kernel code.
i'm in no way an authority on user-space drivers, so i'm looking for
any decent, up-to-date discussions, not so much on the technical
aspects, but more the *implications* of doing this.

  i'm aware of mmap(), and i'm reading up on UIO, and i've found a few
online pieces that look informative:

http://www.embedded.com/design/operating-systems/4401769/Device-drivers-in-user-space
http://www.enea.com/Documents/Resources/Whitepapers/Enea-User-Space-Drivers-in-Linux_Whitepaper_2013.pdf

so is there something that elaborates on both the pros and cons of
doing this? in particular, are there any nice examples of this that
can be downloaded, built and played with? thanks muchly.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* looking for decent, current online discussion of user-space drivers
@ 2015-11-17 10:42 ` Anupam Kapoor
From: Anupam Kapoor @ 2015-11-17 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

,----[ rpjday ]
| in particular, are there any nice examples of this that
| can be downloaded, built and played with? thanks muchly.
`----
there is snabbswitch (https://github.com/SnabbCo/snabbswitch) where
folks have written 82599 (intel-10g card) driver in lua
(https://github.com/SnabbCo/snabbswitch/tree/master/src/apps/intel)

might be useful...

--
kind regards
anupam

* looking for decent, current online discussion of user-space drivers
@ 2015-11-17 10:46   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2015-11-17 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015, Anupam Kapoor wrote:

> ,----[ rpjday ]
> | in particular, are there any nice examples of this that
> | can be downloaded, built and played with? thanks muchly.
> `----
> there is snabbswitch (https://github.com/SnabbCo/snabbswitch) where
> folks have written 82599 (intel-10g card) driver in lua
> (https://github.com/SnabbCo/snabbswitch/tree/master/src/apps/intel)
>
> might be useful...

   ooooh, yes, thanks for the link. just to keep track of what i
collect, i started a new wiki page:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/User_space_drivers

i'll add anything else that pops up that looks like it's useful.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca