* what is the rationale for all ethernet device vendors being "default y"?
@ 2016-05-04 12:07 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2016-05-04 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

  just noticed that on my x86 system, when i do a:

  $ make defconfig

under "Ethernet driver support", all the top-level vendor choices
(3com, adaptec and so on) all have Kconfig entries with:

  default y

reasonably, for each vendor, all of their cards are not "default y"
(that would be kind of silly), but what is the logic behind making
each vendor selection "default y"?

  i ask because i'm putting together some kernel configuration
fragments that will contribute to a final .config file and, because of
all that "default y" stuff, i explicitly have to add "is not set"
lines to my fragments to turn off all the vendors in which i have no
interest.

  admittedly, as i read it, leaving them as "default y" doesn't seem
to generate any additional code unless you actually select a board
from that vendor; still, is there a reason the Kconfig files are set
up the way they are?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* what is the rationale for all ethernet device vendors being "default y"?
@ 2016-05-04 12:42 ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2016-05-04 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:

>   just noticed that on my x86 system, when i do a:
>
>   $ make defconfig
>
> under "Ethernet driver support", all the top-level vendor choices
> (3com, adaptec and so on) all have Kconfig entries with:
>
>   default y
>
> reasonably, for each vendor, all of their cards are not "default y"
> (that would be kind of silly), but what is the logic behind making
> each vendor selection "default y"?

To avoid introducing build regressions with the introduction of these
directories:
http://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2011/08/23/41

This is because these directories were retro-fitted to the Kbuild system
for most ethernet drivers.

Bj?rn

* what is the rationale for all ethernet device vendors being "default y"?
@ 2016-05-04 12:44   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2016-05-04 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, 4 May 2016, Bj?rn Mork wrote:

> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:
>
> >   just noticed that on my x86 system, when i do a:
> >
> >   $ make defconfig
> >
> > under "Ethernet driver support", all the top-level vendor choices
> > (3com, adaptec and so on) all have Kconfig entries with:
> >
> >   default y
> >
> > reasonably, for each vendor, all of their cards are not "default y"
> > (that would be kind of silly), but what is the logic behind making
> > each vendor selection "default y"?
>
> To avoid introducing build regressions with the introduction of these
> directories:
> http://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2011/08/23/41
>
> This is because these directories were retro-fitted to the Kbuild system
> for most ethernet drivers.

  ah, makes perfect sense, thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* what is the rationale for all ethernet device vendors being "default y"?
@ 2016-05-04 13:05   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2016-05-04 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, 4 May 2016, Bj?rn Mork wrote:

> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:
>
> >   just noticed that on my x86 system, when i do a:
> >
> >   $ make defconfig
> >
> > under "Ethernet driver support", all the top-level vendor choices
> > (3com, adaptec and so on) all have Kconfig entries with:
> >
> >   default y
> >
> > reasonably, for each vendor, all of their cards are not "default y"
> > (that would be kind of silly), but what is the logic behind making
> > each vendor selection "default y"?
>
> To avoid introducing build regressions with the introduction of these
> directories:
> http://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2011/08/23/41
>
> This is because these directories were retro-fitted to the Kbuild system
> for most ethernet drivers.

  so am i correct in concluding that, if i'm working with kernel
config fragments, there is no need to add "# ... is not set" lines to
my fragments since, without an actual selected board, all those
"default y" vendor settings have no effect?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca