* is meta-mono layer actively supported?
@ 2016-07-07  7:50 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2016-07-07  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

  out of nowhere, a client of mine wants to port from WEC7 to linux
using YP; they already have a working app written in C# .NET and want
to drag it with them, obviously using mono.

  i see the YP wiki page on running .NET apps here:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Building_and_running_embedded_Linux_.NET_applications_from_first_principles

which looks like it has the info they need, given that i know
absolutely *zero* about C#/.NET/mono, but i might as well learn
something about it.

  the history of that page suggests it's actively supported, can
anyone confirm that it really does walk one through how to incorporate
a .NET app in a YP image? given some time this weekend, i'll try to
follow how to add and run a simple example. thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: is meta-mono layer actively supported?
@ 2016-07-07 15:29 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-07-07 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 12:50 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   out of nowhere, a client of mine wants to port from WEC7 to linux
> using YP; they already have a working app written in C# .NET and want
> to drag it with them, obviously using mono.
>
>   i see the YP wiki page on running .NET apps here:
>
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Building_and_running_embedded_Linux_.NET_applications_from_first_principles
>
> which looks like it has the info they need, given that i know
> absolutely *zero* about C#/.NET/mono, but i might as well learn
> something about it.
>
>   the history of that page suggests it's actively supported, can
> anyone confirm that it really does walk one through how to incorporate
> a .NET app in a YP image? given some time this weekend, i'll try to
> follow how to add and run a simple example. thanks.

its supported. Try to add the layer to your bblayers.conf and add
mono-helloworld to IMAGE_INSTALL to get a sample app.

@ 2016-07-26 15:36 ` Alex J Lennon
From: Alex J Lennon @ 2016-07-26 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day, Yocto discussion list

On 07/07/2016 09:50, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   out of nowhere, a client of mine wants to port from WEC7 to linux
> using YP; they already have a working app written in C# .NET and want
> to drag it with them, obviously using mono.
>
>   i see the YP wiki page on running .NET apps here:
>
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Building_and_running_embedded_Linux_.NET_applications_from_first_principles
>
> which looks like it has the info they need, given that i know
> absolutely *zero* about C#/.NET/mono, but i might as well learn
> something about it.
>
>   the history of that page suggests it's actively supported, can
> anyone confirm that it really does walk one through how to incorporate
> a .NET app in a YP image? given some time this weekend, i'll try to
> follow how to add and run a simple example. thanks.

Hi Robert,

Apologies for the latency. I've been otherwise occupied and have only
just seen this.

Yes, I wrote this piece and the intention is that it does what it says
on the tin - on the basis I have been expecting for some time that
business would be wishing to leverage Mono/Linux for their existing
WinCE codebases.

If you have any issues let me know and I'll be pleased to try to support
you.

Cheers,

Alex