* is freescale MCIMX6Q-SDB board a yocto "imx6qdlsabreauto" MACHINE?
@ 2017-09-26 16:13 rpjday
From: rpjday @ 2017-09-26 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

someone just handed me a MCIMX6Q-SDB, can i get a verification that, if i
wanted to build for it, the yocto MACHINE would be "imx6qdlsabreauto"?
thank you kindly.

rday

p.s. from the meta-freescale layer, of course.

* Re: is freescale MCIMX6Q-SDB board a yocto "imx6qdlsabreauto" MACHINE?
@ 2017-09-26 17:23 ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2017-09-26 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:13 PM,  <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> someone just handed me a MCIMX6Q-SDB, can i get a verification that, if i
> wanted to build for it, the yocto MACHINE would be "imx6qdlsabreauto"?
> thank you kindly.

No, what you want is conf/machine/imx6qsabresd.conf

* Re: is freescale MCIMX6Q-SDB board a yocto "imx6qdlsabreauto" MACHINE?
@ 2017-09-26 19:18   ` Otavio Salvador
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2017-09-26 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Estevam; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:13 PM,  <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>>
>> someone just handed me a MCIMX6Q-SDB, can i get a verification that, if i
>> wanted to build for it, the yocto MACHINE would be "imx6qdlsabreauto"?
>> thank you kindly.
>
> No, what you want is conf/machine/imx6qsabresd.conf

For master/rocko it is imx6qdlsabresd.

* Re: is freescale MCIMX6Q-SDB board a yocto "imx6qdlsabreauto" MACHINE?
@ 2017-09-26 19:21     ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2017-09-26 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:13 PM,  <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> someone just handed me a MCIMX6Q-SDB, can i get a verification that, if i
>>> wanted to build for it, the yocto MACHINE would be "imx6qdlsabreauto"?
>>> thank you kindly.
>>
>> No, what you want is conf/machine/imx6qsabresd.conf
>
> For master/rocko it is imx6qdlsabresd.

Correct, I was looking at an old branch.

In master we have:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-freescale/tree/conf/machine/imx6qdlsabresd.conf

imx6qdlsabresd.conf supports all mx6sabresd variants: imx6q, imx6dl, imx6qp.

* Re: is freescale MCIMX6Q-SDB board a yocto "imx6qdlsabreauto" MACHINE?
@ 2017-09-26 19:37     ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2017-09-26 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017, Otavio Salvador wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:13 PM,  <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >>
> >> someone just handed me a MCIMX6Q-SDB, can i get a verification that, if i
> >> wanted to build for it, the yocto MACHINE would be "imx6qdlsabreauto"?
> >> thank you kindly.
> >
> > No, what you want is conf/machine/imx6qsabresd.conf
>
> For master/rocko it is imx6qdlsabresd.

  what is the meaning of the "sd" (Smart Device) designation? what
does add to the configuration that makes something a "Smart Device"?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: is freescale MCIMX6Q-SDB board a yocto "imx6qdlsabreauto" MACHINE?
@ 2017-09-26 19:51       ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2017-09-26 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: meta-freescale, Otavio Salvador

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 4:37 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   what is the meaning of the "sd" (Smart Device) designation? what
> does add to the configuration that makes something a "Smart Device"?

That's just how NXP named the board:
https://www.nxp.com/support/developer-resources/hardware-development-tools/sabre-development-system/sabre-platform-for-smart-devices-based-on-the-i.mx-6-series:RDIMX6SABREPLAT

* Re: is freescale MCIMX6Q-SDB board a yocto "imx6qdlsabreauto" MACHINE?
@ 2017-09-27  8:48     ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2017-09-27  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017, Otavio Salvador wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:13 PM,  <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >>
> >> someone just handed me a MCIMX6Q-SDB, can i get a verification that, if i
> >> wanted to build for it, the yocto MACHINE would be "imx6qdlsabreauto"?
> >> thank you kindly.
> >
> > No, what you want is conf/machine/imx6qsabresd.conf
>
> For master/rocko it is imx6qdlsabresd.

  is there a .bbclass file for generating an SD card image for this
target? or does one just do that manually?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: is freescale MCIMX6Q-SDB board a yocto "imx6qdlsabreauto" MACHINE?
@ 2017-09-27 11:55       ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2017-09-27 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 5:48 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2017, Otavio Salvador wrote:

>> > No, what you want is conf/machine/imx6qsabresd.conf
>>
>> For master/rocko it is imx6qdlsabresd.
>
>   is there a .bbclass file for generating an SD card image for this
> target? or does one just do that manually?

It should work out of box.

* Re: is freescale MCIMX6Q-SDB board a yocto "imx6qdlsabreauto" MACHINE?
@ 2017-09-27 12:08         ` rpjday
From: rpjday @ 2017-09-27 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

Quoting Otavio Salvador <otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br>:

> On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 5:48 AM, Robert P. J. Day
> <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>>> that, if i

>>> For master/rocko it is imx6qdlsabresd.
>>
>>   is there a .bbclass file for generating an SD card image for this
>> target? or does one just do that manually?
>
> It should work out of box.

   sorry, i explained myself badly. the MCIMX6Q-SDB i was handed was
previously configured in u-boot to boot from the network, and that
network environment does not even exist anymore, so i need to boot
from SD card, of which i see none lying around that came with this
board, so i built a core-image-minimal for this target (imx6qdlsabresd)
last night, and wasn't sure how i would generate a bootable SD card,
but i just now noticed that the build did indeed generate an
*.sdcard.gz file, so i'm assuming this is all i need.

   i just didn't look closely at the generated artifacts to notice the
sdcard file last night, so i assume i can just gunzip, dd to card,
and go. sorry for the interruption, i should have looked more closely
at the build output.

rday