* [U-Boot] very short list of "badref selects" in u-boot source
@ 2019-04-12 20:43 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2019-04-12 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

  rather than go to the trouble of whipping up a wiki page, i can
present this in a short post to the list. here's the list of what my
script identified as "badref selects" -- those identifiers for which
there is a Kconfig line of the form:

  select X

where there is no corresponding:

  config X

the entire list:

  first, the two with the "CONFIG_" prefix are obvious typos which
should have those prefixes removed.

  as for the rest, as one example, consider "CRC32":

  $ git grep "select CRC32"
  cmd/Kconfig:    select CRC32
  cmd/Kconfig:    select CRC32
  drivers/mtd/ubi/Kconfig:        select CRC32
  fs/btrfs/Kconfig:       select CRC32C
  $

there is no matching "config CRC32" anywhere, although there is:

include/image.h:#  define CONFIG_CRC32          /* FIT images need CRC32 support */

in any event, others are welcome to decide what to do about that short
list of suspicious "select" directives. i am not trying to be
annoying, i am merely succeeding.

rday

                         http://crashcourse.ca

* [U-Boot] very short list of "badref selects" in u-boot source
@ 2019-04-13  8:46 ` Chris Packham
From: Chris Packham @ 2019-04-13  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 8:43 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   rather than go to the trouble of whipping up a wiki page, i can
> present this in a short post to the list. here's the list of what my
> script identified as "badref selects" -- those identifiers for which
> there is a Kconfig line of the form:
>
>   select X
>
> where there is no corresponding:
>
>   config X
>
> the entire list:

>   first, the two with the "CONFIG_" prefix are obvious typos which
> should have those prefixes removed.
>
>   as for the rest, as one example, consider "CRC32":
>
>   $ git grep "select CRC32"
>   cmd/Kconfig:    select CRC32
>   cmd/Kconfig:    select CRC32
>   drivers/mtd/ubi/Kconfig:        select CRC32
>   fs/btrfs/Kconfig:       select CRC32C
>   $
>
> there is no matching "config CRC32" anywhere, although there is:
>
> include/image.h:#  define CONFIG_CRC32          /* FIT images need CRC32 support */
>
> in any event, others are welcome to decide what to do about that short
> list of suspicious "select" directives. i am not trying to be
> annoying, i am merely succeeding.

I had a look into a few of these. CPU_ARM926EJS1 and GPIO also appear
to be typos. I've sent patches to fix them.

You're also right about CRC32. It appears that lib/Makefile has had
obj-y += crc32.o (or the equivalent) for as long as I've been able to
trace. Note that CRC32C does have a config option so be careful when
grepping. I'll look at a series for that as well.

* [U-Boot] very short list of "badref selects" in u-boot source
@ 2019-04-14 10:41 ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2019-04-14 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   rather than go to the trouble of whipping up a wiki page, i can
> present this in a short post to the list. here's the list of what my
> script identified as "badref selects" -- those identifiers for which
> there is a Kconfig line of the form:
>
>   select X
>
> where there is no corresponding:
>
>   config X
>
> the entire list:

... snip ...

  between a couple patches i sent in and the more extensive
submissions from chris packham, most of this list has been resolved
except for three of them. a couple are isolated but i'm not sure what
to do with them:

$ git grep MSCC_BITBANG_SPI_GPIO
arch/mips/mach-mscc/Kconfig:    select MSCC_BITBANG_SPI_GPIO
$

and:

$ git grep VEXPRESS_CLK
drivers/video/Kconfig:  select VEXPRESS_CLK
$

but it's BOOTM_LINUX that i'm unsure of:

$ git grep BOOTM_LINUX
common/bootm_os.c:#ifdef CONFIG_BOOTM_LINUX
include/config_defaults.h:#define CONFIG_BOOTM_LINUX 1
include/configs/xilinx_versal_mini.h:#undef CONFIG_BOOTM_LINUX
include/configs/xilinx_zynqmp_mini.h:#undef CONFIG_BOOTM_LINUX
include/configs/zynq_cse.h:#undef CONFIG_BOOTM_LINUX
lib/optee/Kconfig:      select BOOTM_LINUX
scripts/config_whitelist.txt:CONFIG_BOOTM_LINUX
$

  it's clear that CONFIG_BOOTM_LINUX is simply defined as a hard-coded
macro in some header files, so what does it then mean if a Kconfig
file selects it? i've never checked what the Kbuild infrastructure
does in a case like that -- would it actually define
CONFIG_BOOTM_LINUX, despite the fact that there is no associated
BOOTM_LINUX Kbuild option? in any event, it's definitely messy.

  anyway, those are the remnants of "select" directives referring to
non-existent Kbuild options.

rday

                         http://crashcourse.ca