* [lustre-devel] sanity-hsm and libtool
@ 2019-07-19 15:02 Degremont, Aurelien
From: Degremont, Aurelien @ 2019-07-19 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Hi!

I'm trying to run sanity-hsm.sh tests in my lustre source directory as I'm used to.
Since libtool patch was landed, tools like lhsmtool_posix are executed through a wrapper and appear in process list as 'lt-lhsmtool_posix'.
Some tests try to find and kill them, relying on command like:

"ps -C $HSMTOOL"

Even if run through "libtool execute ps -C $HSMTOOL" (as it is in the source right now) this command does not catch the proper process and so fail the test.

I'm wondering what the proper way to run the test suite to have it working and how this is working in Maloo?
I'm doing:

git clone
autogen
configure
make
sudo REFORMAT=: ./lustre/tests/sanity-hsm.sh

By the way, when hsm helper functions were moved from sanity-hsm.sh to test-framework.sh (f172b1168, for PCC), some of them were just copied and not moved. So there are several duplicates between these 2 files. I think that's not on purpose?

Thanks

Aur?lien
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [lustre-devel] sanity-hsm and libtool
@ 2019-07-19 15:20 ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2019-07-19 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

> Hi!
>
> ?
>
> I'm trying to run sanity-hsm.sh tests in my lustre source directory as I'm used to.
>
> Since libtool patch was landed, tools like lhsmtool_posix are executed through a wrapper and appear in process list as 'lt-lhsmtool_posix'.
>
> Some tests try to find and kill them, relying on command like:
>
> ?
>
> "ps -C $HSMTOOL"
>
> ?
>
> Even if run through "libtool execute ps -C $HSMTOOL" (as it is in the source right now) this command does not catch the proper process and
> so fail the test.
>
> ?
>
> I'm wondering what the proper way to run the test suite to have it working and how this is working in Maloo?
>
> I'm doing:
>
> ?
>
> git clone
>
> autogen
>
> configure
>
> make
>
> sudo REFORMAT=: ./lustre/tests/sanity-hsm.sh
>
> ?
>
> ?
>
> ?
>
> By the way, when hsm helper functions were moved from sanity-hsm.sh to test-framework.sh (f172b1168, for PCC), some of them were just
> copied and not moved. So there are several duplicates between these 2 files. I think that's not on purpose?

What version of lustre are you testing with? Their was a patch landed to
handle this.

LU-11742 test: have libtool execute the test binaries

which is lustre commit f9e5224fbb60bb8b44753b7be10cb06108627f89. This has
been back ported to 2.12 LTS. Can you see if your lustre tree has this
fix.

See https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Debugging-executables.html
for details about using libtool against the binary wrappers.

* [lustre-devel] sanity-hsm and libtool
@ 2019-07-19 15:44   ` Degremont, Aurelien
From: Degremont, Aurelien @ 2019-07-19 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

?Le 19/07/2019 17:21, ? James Simmons ? <jsimmons@infradead.org> a ?crit :

    > Hi!
    >

    > I'm trying to run sanity-hsm.sh tests in my lustre source directory as I'm used to.
    >
    > Since libtool patch was landed, tools like lhsmtool_posix are executed through a wrapper and appear in process list as 'lt-lhsmtool_posix'.
    >
    > Some tests try to find and kill them, relying on command like:
    >

    > "ps -C $HSMTOOL"
    >

    > Even if run through "libtool execute ps -C $HSMTOOL" (as it is in the source right now) this command does not catch the proper process and
    > so fail the test.
    >

    > I'm wondering what the proper way to run the test suite to have it working and how this is working in Maloo?
    >
    > I'm doing:
    >

    > git clone
    >
    > autogen
    >
    > configure
    >
    > make
    >
    > sudo REFORMAT=: ./lustre/tests/sanity-hsm.sh
    >

    > By the way, when hsm helper functions were moved from sanity-hsm.sh to test-framework.sh (f172b1168, for PCC), some of them were just
    > copied and not moved. So there are several duplicates between these 2 files. I think that's not on purpose?

    What version of lustre are you testing with? Their was a patch landed to
    handle this.

    LU-11742 test: have libtool execute the test binaries

    which is lustre commit f9e5224fbb60bb8b44753b7be10cb06108627f89. This has
    been back ported to 2.12 LTS. Can you see if your lustre tree has this
    fix.

    See https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Debugging-executables.html
    for details about using libtool against the binary wrappers.

I'm running master.
That's exactly the patch which is giving me issue.
I can run sanity-hsm successfully prior to this patch, not after.

Aur?lien

* [lustre-devel] sanity-hsm and libtool
@ 2019-07-19 19:52     ` Quentin BOUGET
From: Quentin BOUGET @ 2019-07-19 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Le ven. 19 juil. 2019 ? 17:44, Degremont, Aurelien <degremoa@amazon.com> a
?crit :

> [...]
>     > copied and not moved. So there are several duplicates between these
> 2 files. I think that's not on purpose?
>
>     What version of lustre are you testing with? Their was a patch landed
>     handle this.
>
>     LU-11742 test: have libtool execute the test binaries
>
>     which is lustre commit f9e5224fbb60bb8b44753b7be10cb06108627f89. This
> has
>     been back ported to 2.12 LTS. Can you see if your lustre tree has this
>     fix.
>
>     See
> https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Debugging-executables.html
>     for details about using libtool against the binary wrappers.
>
> I'm running master.
> That's exactly the patch which is giving me issue.
> I can run sanity-hsm successfully prior to this patch, not after.

I concur : I cannot run sanity-hsm on master. Works fine when checking out
the commit right before the libtool patch , breaks if the patch is applied.

With some testing it appears this is because "libtool execute" does does
not use the PATH environment variable when it resolves paths :

$> pwd
/home/user/lustre-release
$> export PATH=lustre/utils:/usr/bin
$> which lhsmtool_posix
/home/user/lustre-release/lustre/utils/lhsmtool_posix
$> libtool execute echo lhsmtool_posix
lhsmtool_posix
$> libtool execute echo lustre/utils/lhsmtool_posix
/home/user/lustre-release/luster/utils/.libs/lhsmtool_posix

I suspect this works on Maloo because Maloo does not run tests from the git
repo but rather from installed rpms (=> no libtool wrappers).

@James, I can see you asked me a follow-up review on the patch that
introduces this regressions, and I did not answer, Sorry about that. I will
try to keep better track of patches I reviewed at least once... In this
spirit, I will try to update my review of this change
<https://review.whamcloud.com/#/c/33572/> this weekend. =)

Cheers,
Quentin

@ 2019-07-23  0:23       ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2019-07-23  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

> [...]
>
> $> pwd
> /home/user/lustre-release
> $> export PATH=lustre/utils:/usr/bin
> $> which lhsmtool_posix
> /home/user/lustre-release/lustre/utils/lhsmtool_posix
> $> libtool execute echo lhsmtool_posix
> lhsmtool_posix
> $> libtool execute echo lustre/utils/lhsmtool_posix
> /home/user/lustre-release/luster/utils/.libs/lhsmtool_posix
>
> I suspect this works on Maloo because Maloo does not run tests from the git repo but rather from installed rpms (=> no libtool wrappers).
>
> @James, I can see you asked me a follow-up review on the patch that introduces this regressions, and I did not answer, Sorry about that. I
> will try to keep better track of patches I reviewed at least once... In this spirit, I will try to update my review of this change this

This is strange since Oleg does his testing in the lustre source tree
directly. I would think he would have encounter this issue. I need
to looking how libtool does its path searches.

* [lustre-devel] sanity-hsm and libtool
@ 2019-07-23  1:40         ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2019-07-23  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

>> I concur : I cannot run sanity-hsm on master. Works fine when checking out the commit right before the libtool patch , breaks if the patch
>> is applied.
>>
>> With some testing it appears this is because "libtool execute" does does not use the PATH environment variable when it resolves paths :
>>
>> $> pwd
>> /home/user/lustre-release
>> $> export PATH=lustre/utils:/usr/bin
>> $> which lhsmtool_posix
>> /home/user/lustre-release/lustre/utils/lhsmtool_posix
>> $> libtool execute echo lhsmtool_posix
>> lhsmtool_posix
>> $> libtool execute echo lustre/utils/lhsmtool_posix
>> /home/user/lustre-release/luster/utils/.libs/lhsmtool_posix
>>
>> I suspect this works on Maloo because Maloo does not run tests from the git repo but rather from installed rpms (=> no libtool wrappers).
>>
>> @James, I can see you asked me a follow-up review on the patch that introduces this regressions, and I did not answer, Sorry about that. I
>> will try to keep better track of patches I reviewed at least once... In this spirit, I will try to update my review of this change this
>> weekend. =)
>
> This is strange since Oleg does his testing in the lustre source tree
> directly. I would think he would have encounter this issue. I need
> to looking how libtool does its path searches.

I build with configure --disable-shared to sidestep this issue.