* missing(?) numerous ptest packages building core-image-minimal for arm64
@ 2020-04-17 21:21 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2020-04-17 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

  as a demo of how ptest works, i used the current master branch of
poky, MACHINE=qemuarm64, built core-image-minimal, and selected to
install ptests with:

  DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " ptest"
  EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES += "ptest-pkgs"

following the directions in the dev manual. but when it was all over
and i fired up the qemu image, there were *very* few ptests installed
under /usr/lib -- in fact, only busybox, zlib and util-linux.

  i was expecting far more; for example, bzip2, which has ptest
capability. i verified that PACKAGES for bzip2 included bzip2-ptest, i
could see the ptest content under bzip2's "packages-split" and so on,
but nothing in the qemu image. and there are quite a number of
ptest-enabled recipes that seem to have had their ptest package
omitted from the final image.

  am i missing something? is there an extra configuration i need? feel
free to try this for yourself, and let me know if i'm just overlooking
something trivial.

rday

* Re: [OE-core] missing(?) numerous ptest packages building core-image-minimal for arm64
@ 2020-04-17 21:33 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2020-04-17 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

ptest-pkgs is complementary; it pulls in ptests only for those packages
that are explicitly included in the image. (similar to how dev-pkgs or
doc-pkgs work).

Generally, it is not recommended to use ptest-pkgs as you never know what
you end up with, and how long running ptests will take; list ptests you
want explicitly
(core-image-sato-sdk-ptest is an example of how).

Alex

@ 2020-04-17 21:39   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2020-04-17 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020, Alexander Kanavin wrote:

> ptest-pkgs is complementary; it pulls in ptests only for those
> packages that are explicitly included in the image. (similar to how
> dev-pkgs or doc-pkgs work).
>
> Generally, it is not recommended to use ptest-pkgs as you never know
> what you end up with, and how long running ptests will take; list
> ptests you want explicitly (core-image-sato-sdk-ptest is an example
> of how).

  ah, that clears things up, and definitely flies in the face of the
advice given in the current dev manual:

"To add package testing to your build, add the DISTRO_FEATURES and
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES variables to your local.conf file, which is found
in the Build Directory:

     DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " ptest"
     EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES += "ptest-pkgs"

  i'll make a note of that and adjust the dev manual at some point to
clarify this, thanks.

@ 2020-04-17 22:35     ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2020-04-17 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2020-04-17 at 17:39 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2020, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
>
> > ptest-pkgs is complementary; it pulls in ptests only for those
> > packages that are explicitly included in the image. (similar to how
> > dev-pkgs or doc-pkgs work).
> >
> > Generally, it is not recommended to use ptest-pkgs as you never
> > know
> > what you end up with, and how long running ptests will take; list
> > ptests you want explicitly (core-image-sato-sdk-ptest is an example
> > of how).
>
>   ah, that clears things up, and definitely flies in the face of the
> advice given in the current dev manual:
>
> "To add package testing to your build, add the DISTRO_FEATURES and
> EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES variables to your local.conf file, which is
> found
> in the Build Directory:
>
>      DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " ptest"
>      EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES += "ptest-pkgs"
>
>   i'll make a note of that and adjust the dev manual at some point to
> clarify this, thanks.

I'm not sure that it "flies in the face of", that reads correctly to
me, its just open to misinterpretation. It functions the same way the
dev or dbg image features work and adds ptests for the things already
in the image.

So yes, it obviously needs more explanation but it is consistent with
the behaviour of other IMAGE_FEATURES.

Cheers,

Richard