* can i run an arbitrary x86_64-based image under QEMU?
@ 2020-05-24 15:41 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2020-05-24 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

  currently poring over wind river docs and in release notes for WR
LTS 19 (equivalent to YP 3.0), one of the notes for RCPL 7 for this
release of WR states:

"New support to deploy a platform project image based on the
intel-x86-64 BSP with the runqemu command. You no longer require a
QEMU-based BSP to deploy and test your x86-based image."

  first, am i interpreting that correctly that i can build an x86_64
image for actual hardware, and run it under QEMU?

  and if so, is that a WR thing, or if available under YP, a pointer
to the appropriate doc would be sufficient.  thank you kindly.

rday

* Re: [yocto] can i run an arbitrary x86_64-based image under QEMU?
@ 2020-05-24 15:59 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2020-05-24 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

To me this seems like Wind River's special sauce.

The CHANGELOG in meta-intel says this:

Added QEMU support.
-------------------
We now build several virtio drivers into the kernel by default, and
have qemuboot.conf files for intel-corei7-64 and intel-core2-32
targets. This allows one to do basic testing on meta-intel images
without having to use hardware. The virtio drivers are added via
KERNEL_FEATURES_INTEL_COMMON. This prevents them from being added to
custom kernels by default. They can be removed by adding the
following to a conf or kernel bbappend file:
  KERNEL_FEATURES_INTEL_COMMON_remove = “cfg/virtio.scc”
OVMF firmware is also built and can be used in order to emulate a UEFI
environment. A full runqemu command line for intel-corei7-64 could look
like this:
  runqemu core-image-minimal intel-corei7-64 wic ovmf
======

It's probably not too difficult to make this work in YP upstream (given
that qemu is able to run desktop Linux distribution images aimed at real
HW), but currently this isn't documented or (most importantly) tested on
the AB.

Alex

@ 2020-05-25 10:17   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2020-05-25 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)