* how to un-blacklist a blacklisted recipe?
@ 2020-05-25 16:38 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2020-05-25 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

  asking what is almost certainly a silly question, but as i'm poring
over the wind river LTS 19 (aka "zeus") developer's guide, i know that
WR adds a feature for un-blacklisting blacklisted recipes via the
PNWHITELIST variable, but the guide says something quite different in
that it suggests that one can clear a blacklist from a recipe by
setting the blacklist message to the empty string, as in:

  PNBLACKLIST[recipe] = ""

https://docs.windriver.com/bundle/Wind_River_Linux_Platform_Developers_Guide_LTS_19_tki1589820771450/page/inj1480988608162.html

  um, wut?

  oddly, there is no mention of WR's PNWHITELIST feature on that page,
so i assumed that 1) someone forgot to update the guide to mention it,
and 2) setting the message to the empty string might be the standard
YP way to do it, but i'm pretty sure that won't work.

  is there a way to un-blacklist a blacklisted recipe using standard
YP? the reference manual entry for PNBLACKLIST doesn't suggest so:

https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#var-PNBLACKLIST

  thoughts?

rday

* Re: [yocto] how to un-blacklist a blacklisted recipe?
@ 2020-05-25 16:47 ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2020-05-25 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

I don't use WR, but setting it to empty works fine for me.

Why do you think it shouldn't work? See
https://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/classes/blacklist.bbclass#n18

@ 2020-05-25 16:54   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2020-05-25 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Mon, 25 May 2020, Martin Jansa wrote:

> I don't use WR, but setting it to empty works fine for me.
> Why do you think it shouldn't work? See
> https://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/classes/blacklist.bbclass#n18

  i tested it ... at least i *thought* i tested it on a blacklisted
recipe. i'll try it again, i guess i just misspelled something.

@ 2020-05-25 17:22   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2020-05-25 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Mon, 25 May 2020, Martin Jansa wrote:

> I don't use WR, but setting it to empty works fine for me.

  *where* did you set it to empty? in your local.conf?

@ 2020-05-25 17:33     ` Martin Jansa
       [not found]       ` <161256105F0FE409.13804@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Martin Jansa @ 2020-05-25 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Yes, in local.conf or distro config, both work fine.

Maybe your PNBLACKLIST you're trying to unblacklist is using normal
assignment instead of weak one? See
http://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/commit/?id=96a92761c0a1bb2317fa4ea422c32e4473405103

@ 2020-05-25 17:37       ` Robert P. J. Day
       [not found]       ` <161256105F0FE409.13804@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2020-05-25 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Mon, 25 May 2020, Martin Jansa wrote:

> Yes, in local.conf or distro config, both work fine. Maybe your
> PNBLACKLIST you're trying to unblacklist is using normal assignment
> instead of weak one? See

  i just now determined that that is exactly what is happening --
tried it with nanopb recipe from meta-oe, which contains:

  PNBLACKLIST[nanopb] = "Needs forward porting to use python3"

switched that to weak assignment, all good. does that imply that,
other than in perhaps exceptional circumstances, *all* blacklisting
should use weak assignment?

@ 2020-05-25 17:40         ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2020-05-25 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Mon, 25 May 2020, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Mon, 25 May 2020, Martin Jansa wrote:
>
> > Yes, in local.conf or distro config, both work fine. Maybe your
> > PNBLACKLIST you're trying to unblacklist is using normal assignment
> > instead of weak one? See
>
>   i just now determined that that is exactly what is happening --
> tried it with nanopb recipe from meta-oe, which contains:
>
>   PNBLACKLIST[nanopb] = "Needs forward porting to use python3"
>
> switched that to weak assignment, all good. does that imply that,
> other than in perhaps exceptional circumstances, *all* blacklisting
> should use weak assignment?

  never mind, just took a look at the commit which does exactly this.
is it worth submitting a patch to tweak the few hard assignments?

@ 2020-05-25 19:10           ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2020-05-25 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Yes, it's worth. Thanks

@ 2020-05-25 19:22             ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2020-05-25 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Mon, 25 May 2020, Martin Jansa wrote:

> Yes, it's worth. Thanks

  done, and submitted. it was just my horrific luck that i was testing
that feature, and randomly grabbed two recipes that used standard
assignment. le *sigh* ...

rday