* Problem compiling git-1.6.4 on OpenServer 6.0
@ 2009-08-07 19:27 Boyd Lynn Gerber
From: Boyd Lynn Gerber @ 2009-08-07 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Git List

Hello,

I just tried to compile the latest git and I get this error.

CC builtin-pack-objects.o
UX:acomp: ERROR: "builtin-pack-objects.c", line 1602: integral constant
expression expected
gmake: *** [builtin-pack-objects.o] Error 1

I will look into it when I have a bit more time, but this is a heads up.

Boyd Gerber <gerberb@zenez.com> 801 849-0213
ZENEZ	1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047

* Re: Problem compiling git-1.6.4 on OpenServer 6.0
@ 2009-08-07 20:07 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2009-08-07 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boyd Lynn Gerber; +Cc: Git List

Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@zenez.com> writes:

> I just tried to compile the latest git and I get this error.
>
> CC builtin-pack-objects.o
> UX:acomp: ERROR: "builtin-pack-objects.c", line 1602: integral
> constant expression expected

I think we recently acquired another instance of variable sized array on
the stack in addition to this one.

* Re: Problem compiling git-1.6.4 on OpenServer 6.0
@ 2009-08-07 20:53 ` Brandon Casey
From: Brandon Casey @ 2009-08-07 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boyd Lynn Gerber; +Cc: Git List

Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just tried to compile the latest git and I get this error.
>
> CC builtin-pack-objects.o
> UX:acomp: ERROR: "builtin-pack-objects.c", line 1602: integral constant
> expression expected
> gmake: *** [builtin-pack-objects.o] Error 1
>
> I will look into it when I have a bit more time, but this is a heads up.

Did you set THREADED_DELTA_SEARCH=1 when you compiled?  That could be the
problem.

Line 1602 of builtin-pack-objects.c is wrapped in #ifdef THREADED_DELTA_SEARCH,
so it is only compiled if THREADED_DELTA_SEARCH has been set.  Also, it's not
a new line, it has been around since 2007.

-brandon

* Re: Problem compiling git-1.6.4 on OpenServer 6.0
@ 2009-08-07 21:15   ` Boyd Lynn Gerber
From: Boyd Lynn Gerber @ 2009-08-07 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Casey; +Cc: Git List

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Brandon Casey wrote:
> Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
>>
>> I just tried to compile the latest git and I get this error.
>>
>> CC builtin-pack-objects.o
>> UX:acomp: ERROR: "builtin-pack-objects.c",
>> line 1602: integral constant expression expected gmake: ***
>> [builtin-pack-objects.o] Error 1
>>
>> I will look into it when I have a bit more time, but this is a heads up.
>
> Did you set THREADED_DELTA_SEARCH=1 when you compiled?  That could be
> the problem.
>
> Line 1602 of builtin-pack-objects.c is wrapped in #ifdef THREADED_DELTA_SEARCH,
> so it is only compiled if THREADED_DELTA_SEARCH has been set.  Also, it's not
> a new line, it has been around since 2007.

Yes, that is the problem it was set.  The OS has kernel threads and all
must be accessed by -Kthread and no -pthread when linking.

Thanks for the hnt...

--

@ 2009-08-07 21:25   ` Boyd Lynn Gerber
From: Boyd Lynn Gerber @ 2009-08-07 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Casey; +Cc: Git List

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Brandon Casey wrote:
> Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
>> I just tried to compile the latest git and I get this error.
>>
>> CC builtin-pack-objects.o
>> UX:acomp: ERROR: "builtin-pack-objects.c", line 1602: integral constant
>> expression expected
>> gmake: *** [builtin-pack-objects.o] Error 1
>>
>> I will look into it when I have a bit more time, but this is a heads up.
>
> Did you set THREADED_DELTA_SEARCH=1 when you compiled?  That could be the
> problem.
>
> Line 1602 of builtin-pack-objects.c is wrapped in #ifdef THREADED_DELTA_SEARCH,
> so it is only compiled if THREADED_DELTA_SEARCH has been set.  Also, it's not
> a new line, it has been around since 2007.

Removing it and the -pthread allows it to build.  I am now running the
tests.  The I need to find out why it is being set.

@ 2009-08-07 21:36     ` Brandon Casey
From: Brandon Casey @ 2009-08-07 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boyd Lynn Gerber; +Cc: Git List

Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Brandon Casey wrote:
>> Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
>>> I just tried to compile the latest git and I get this error.
>>>
>>> CC builtin-pack-objects.o
>>> UX:acomp: ERROR: "builtin-pack-objects.c", line 1602: integral constant
>>> expression expected
>>> gmake: *** [builtin-pack-objects.o] Error 1
>>>
>>> I will look into it when I have a bit more time, but this is a heads up.
>>
>> Did you set THREADED_DELTA_SEARCH=1 when you compiled?  That could be the
>> problem.
>>
>> Line 1602 of builtin-pack-objects.c is wrapped in #ifdef
>> THREADED_DELTA_SEARCH,
>> so it is only compiled if THREADED_DELTA_SEARCH has been set.  Also,
>> it's not
>> a new line, it has been around since 2007.
>
> Removing it and the -pthread allows it to build.  I am now running the
> tests.  The I need to find out why it is being set.

Did you run configure?  which generates a config.mak.autogen file?
There were some changes related to pthreads in configure.ac in March,
and another back in Nov 2008.  Specifically commits 1973b0d7, and
d937c374.

-brandon

* Re: Problem compiling git-1.6.4 on OpenServer 6.0
@ 2009-08-08 16:14       ` Boyd Lynn Gerber
From: Boyd Lynn Gerber @ 2009-08-08 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Casey; +Cc: Git List

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Brandon Casey wrote:
> Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

>>> Did you set THREADED_DELTA_SEARCH=1 when you compiled?  That could be the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Line 1602 of builtin-pack-objects.c is wrapped in #ifdef
>>> THREADED_DELTA_SEARCH,
>>> so it is only compiled if THREADED_DELTA_SEARCH has been set.  Also,
>>> it's not
>>> a new line, it has been around since 2007.
>>
>> Removing it and the -pthread allows it to build.  I am now running the
>> tests.  The I need to find out why it is being set.
>
> Did you run configure?  which generates a config.mak.autogen file?
> There were some changes related to pthreads in configure.ac in March,
> and another back in Nov 2008.  Specifically commits 1973b0d7, and
> d937c374.

Yes, I am working through them and will submit a patch once I get it
working properly without breaking someone elses configuration.