* Is it needed to reinstall custom kernel every time, after rebuilding?
@ 2011-08-18 16:47 ` Amirali Shambayati
From: Amirali Shambayati @ 2011-08-18 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel, kernelnewbies

Hi all,

Last time, I emailed to linux-kernel and kernenewbies mailing-lists
about how to speed up kernel compilation. I received very useful peace
of advice about using "ccache". Now I want to modify and compile a
unique custom kernel several times.
I used https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile to compile
custom kernel. This tutorial uses "kpkg" command to build kernel and
it produces two .deb files: "linux-image" and "linux-header" as
result.
So for the first time I followed this tutorial.
For next times, according to to experts' advice, I use "make all" in
custom kernel root directory to rebuild kernel. I am not sure that it
would be enough to use changed kernel after rebooting. As I asked from
some experts, It is also required to install kernel again, but they
were not familiar with "kpkg" and "dbkg",... commands for kernel
installation.
Should I use "dbkg" command after every time I rebuild kernel, for
re-installation?
If anybody is familiar with these method of kernel installation,
please help me. It is very urgent, because it is related to my B.S.
thesis :P

Amirali Shambayati
Bachelor Student
Computer Engineering Department
Sharif University of Technology
Tehran, Iran

From: Amirali Shambayati @ 2011-08-18 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

[...]

* Re: Is it needed to reinstall custom kernel every time, after rebuilding?
@ 2011-08-18 16:54   ` Amirali Shambayati
From: Amirali Shambayati @ 2011-08-18 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel, kernelnewbies

I decided, to first "make all" kernel package and using "dbkg" to
reinstall .deb files every time.
Could it be right?
(re-note: I want to build and install custom kernel for several times!)

From: Amirali Shambayati @ 2011-08-18 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

--
Amirali Shambayati
Bachelor Student
Computer Engineering Department
Sharif University of Technology
Tehran, Iran

* Is it needed to reinstall custom kernel every time, after rebuilding?
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2011-08-18 16:57 ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2011-08-18 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 23:47, Amirali Shambayati
<amirali.shambayati@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should I use "dbkg" command after every time I rebuild kernel, for
> re-installation?
> If anybody is familiar with these method of kernel installation,
> please help me. It is very urgent, because it is related to my B.S.
> thesis :P

I don't know about "dbkg" (i am not even sure such option exist, but I
do know there is "dpkg" and "rpm" as make target).

However, if you wanna be easy, why not do it manually? I mean, copying
the kernel image to /boot (along with creating initrd using mkinitrd
or specificly update-initramfs if you're using Ubuntu or its
derivatives) and edit the boot loader config (most likely you're using
GRUB 2 so the file is /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Try to copy them into separate directories so you could easily
differentiate them.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

@ 2011-08-18 17:01   ` Mulyadi Santosa
       [not found]     ` <CAC-yRPSf-wMReXyFKzbWpG+anNPBU+dgur6+Y4QCPcr9iJ19ig@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2011-08-18 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 23:54, Amirali Shambayati
<amirali.shambayati@gmail.com> wrote:
> I decided, to first "make all" kernel package and using "dbkg" to
> reinstall .deb files every time.
> Could it be right?
> (re-note: I want to build and install custom kernel for several times!)

could you please don't top post? :)

btw, IIRC "make all" also does kernel instalation and setting the boot
loader for you, so I see no point of doing make dpkg here

--

       [not found]           ` <CAC-yRPTQLF_tgM_YwDCjZr6KH9Ay6Y81PNtq69fASzXxWXmkZA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-08-19  1:08             ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2011-08-19  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 01:02, Amirali Shambayati
<amirali.shambayati@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would you say, I got what you mean right or not? Because I have very
> restricted time to present my BS. thesis:-s

I am not really sure I really catch what you mean by "reinstall" :)

IMO reinstall is only a proper term when related to package
management. So, I think if you have to use the term "reinstall",
perhaps you confuse it with package management ? Sorry, maybe you're
under pressure but I can't help much with that.

--

@ 2011-08-19  7:11   ` Jesper Juhl
From: Jesper Juhl @ 2011-08-19  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amirali Shambayati; +Cc: Linux Kernel, kernelnewbies

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011, Amirali Shambayati wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Last time, I emailed to linux-kernel and kernenewbies mailing-lists
> about how to speed up kernel compilation. I received very useful peace
> of advice about using "ccache". Now I want to modify and compile a
> unique custom kernel several times.
> I used https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile to compile
> custom kernel. This tutorial uses "kpkg" command to build kernel and
> it produces two .deb files: "linux-image" and "linux-header" as
> result.
> So for the first time I followed this tutorial.
> For next times, according to to experts' advice, I use "make all" in
> custom kernel root directory to rebuild kernel. I am not sure that it
> would be enough to use changed kernel after rebooting. As I asked from
> some experts, It is also required to install kernel again, but they
> were not familiar with "kpkg" and "dbkg",... commands for kernel
> installation.
> Should I use "dbkg" command after every time I rebuild kernel, for
> re-installation?
> If anybody is familiar with these method of kernel installation,
> please help me. It is very urgent, because it is related to my B.S.
> thesis :P

If you build a new kernel and want to run that new kernel, then you must
install that newly build kernel and reboot to it.

--
Jesper Juhl <jj@chaosbits.net>       http://www.chaosbits.net/
Don't top-post http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

From: Jesper Juhl @ 2011-08-19  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)