* Async Event test
@ 2015-02-18 16:50 Olivier Mallinger
From: Olivier Mallinger @ 2015-02-18 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

I want to test the asynchronous event xith my controller.
Has this feature been implemented in the Linux driver ?

I want to request asynchronous event to my controller, then I will
instrument my controller to simulate event.
I don't know what is going to do the driver in such case and how to have
access to the asynchronous event information.
Do you have any solutions to test it ?

Thanks.
Regards.
Olivier.

* Async Event test
@ 2015-02-18 17:39 ` James R. Bergsten
From: James R. Bergsten @ 2015-02-18 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Olivier.

Cannot speak for everyone or even suggest a specific Linux solution for that
matter, but here's what "I" did to test other vendor's async event handling:

- Started one or more Asynchronous Event Request operations, then

- Issued operations in error to insure that the AER ended and contained a
valid response.

Amongst other things, I tried writing an invalid doorbell value (past the
queue length), and an invalid LBA (past the size of the device).

I suggest this so that you do not have to make any specific changes on the
controller side to support this "black box" test (well, other than to make
sure the controller works in the first place).

Good luck.
Jim B.

@ 2015-02-18 22:45 ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2015-02-18 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015, Olivier Mallinger wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I want to test the asynchronous event xith my controller.
> Has this feature been implemented in the Linux driver ?
>
> I want to request asynchronous event to my controller, then I will instrument
> my controller to simulate event.
> I don't know what is going to do the driver in such case and how to have
> access to the asynchronous event information.
> Do you have any solutions to test it ?

The driver submits mutliple async requests. The number sent is either
the device's max or 8, which ever is smaller. When the driver sees a
completion, it writes a message to the kernel log then submits another
request. If anyone has a better idea how to report async events, I'm
all for it.

To test, I just set the temperature threshold to below the current
temparature to trigger the smart async event.

* Async Event test
@ 2015-02-19 18:15   ` Olivier Mallinger
From: Olivier Mallinger @ 2015-02-19 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

Thanks for you answer. I will try your solutions.

Regards.
Olivier.

Le 18/02/2015 23:45, Keith Busch a ?crit :