* ip6tables HL bug ?
@ 2011-06-20 18:47 Christian S. Perone
From: Christian S. Perone @ 2011-06-20 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Does someone knows why is ip6tables showing this error:

# ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -j HL --hl-inc 1
ip6tables v1.3.5: HL: increasing by 0?

If I use the hl-set with 2 as argument for instance:
# ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -p icmpv6 --icmpv6-type
router-advertisement -j HL --hl-set 2
# ipt6tables -t mangle -L
(...)
Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
HL         ipv6-icmp    anywhere             anywhere
ipv6-icmp router-advertisement HL set to 0

See that the value read is always interpreted as "zero", in
libip6t_HL.c we have:
if (value == 0)
{
   exit_error(PARAMETER_PROBLEM,"HL: increasing by 0?");
}

So the problem is only thrown when the value is zero, the question is,
why is ip6tables reading the argument as zero ?
Does someone knows if this is a known bug ?

Details:
Kernel 2.6.17, powerpc
ip6tables v1.3.5

Thank you !

--
"Forgive, O Lord, my little jokes on Thee, and I'll forgive Thy great
big joke on me."

* Re: ip6tables HL bug ?
@ 2011-06-22 13:41 ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2011-06-22 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian S. Perone; +Cc: netfilter

On Monday 2011-06-20 20:47, Christian S. Perone wrote:

>Does someone knows why is ip6tables showing this error:
>
># ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -j HL --hl-inc 1
>ip6tables v1.3.5: HL: increasing by 0?
>Does someone knows if this is a known bug ?
>
>Details:
>Kernel 2.6.17, powerpc
>ip6tables v1.3.5

Yes, because it's old. Terribly old.
(A different HL bug in 1.4.11 has been spotted and is pending fixure.)