* Help on error message
@ 2013-02-27 18:00 Nicole
From: Nicole @ 2013-02-27 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel

Hi Guys,

Call me lazy if you wish, but I thought I'd get a clear answer here.

I have written a extension using xtables. It spits out the error message

Extension xxxx uses invalid ID nn.

What does this mean?

Many thanks

Nicole

* Re: Help on error message
@ 2013-02-27 19:43 ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2013-02-27 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicole; +Cc: netfilter-devel

On Wednesday 2013-02-27 19:00, Nicole wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Call me lazy if you wish, but I thought I'd get a clear answer here.
> I have written a extension using xtables. It spits out the error message
> Extension xxxx uses invalid ID nn.
> What does this mean?

Usually hints towards the fact that your extension uses more than 256
command-line options.

Our magic glass spheres are, unfortunately, under maintenance until
further notice. You will have to post more details - such as full
unabridged source code - before a satisfying assessment can be made as
to where in your extension the problem lies.

* Re: Help on error message
@ 2013-02-27 20:22   ` Nicole
From: Nicole @ 2013-02-27 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: netfilter-devel

I've been reading Linus Torval's latest rants, so I don't feel confident
enough about my own code to subject it to the cold scrutiny of this list.

@ 2013-02-27 21:09     ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2013-02-27 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicole; +Cc: netfilter-devel

On Wednesday 2013-02-27 21:22, Nicole wrote:

> I've been reading Linus Torval's latest rants, so I don't feel confident enough
> about my own code to subject it to the cold scrutiny of this list.

Linus is far away (behind an insulation of at least two maintainers),
nor did it seem like you even wanted to post any code, so there is
absolutely no fear to be had of Linus.

On some lists, you may be criticized for the code - here, it is for the
lack of it. :)

* Re: Help on error message
@ 2013-02-28  0:14     ` Mr Dash Four
From: Mr Dash Four @ 2013-02-28  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel

> I've been reading Linus Torval's latest rants, so I don't feel
> confident enough about my own code to subject it to the cold scrutiny
> of this list.
Rants? What rants? Have I missed something? I know Linus doesn't mince
his words (good on him!), particularly when it comes to Gnome 3 and SUSE
(which I fully agree with, on both counts), but I wasn't aware of any
new ones. Care to enlighten me?

* Re: Help on error message
@ 2013-02-28  8:43       ` Amos Jeffries
From: Amos Jeffries @ 2013-02-28  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mr Dash Four; +Cc: netfilter-devel

On 28/02/2013 1:14 p.m., Mr Dash Four wrote:

>> I've been reading Linus Torval's latest rants, so I don't feel
>> confident enough about my own code to subject it to the cold scrutiny
>> of this list.
> Rants? What rants? Have I missed something? I know Linus doesn't mince
> his words (good on him!), particularly when it comes to Gnome 3 and
> SUSE (which I fully agree with, on both counts), but I wasn't aware of
> any new ones. Care to enlighten me?

Topic of the week seems to be some rather nasty UEFI hacks being added
to the X.509 systems:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/1682804?do=post_view_threaded#1682804

The submitter was already turned down by Rusty the intermediary
maintainer and it got bumped up to Linus. The media are blowing the
small amount of horror/exasperation into a "rant".

NP: had to link the mirror due to load on the mailing lists main server
for some reason ;-)

AYJ

* Re: Help on error message
@ 2013-02-28 15:59         ` Mr Dash Four
From: Mr Dash Four @ 2013-02-28 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel

> Topic of the week seems to be some rather nasty UEFI hacks being added
> to the X.509 systems:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/1682804?do=post_view_threaded#1682804
>

> The submitter was already turned down by Rusty the intermediary
> maintainer and it got bumped up to Linus. The media are blowing the
> small amount of horror/exasperation into a "rant".
Thanks, that was ... entertaining. I fully agree with Linus though, but
that is not subject for this forum (I veered off-topic long-enough, so
I'll stop).