* Can a bcachefs filesystem be exported via NFS?
@ 2016-06-06 21:23 Martin McClure
From: Martin McClure @ 2016-06-06 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache

Can a bcachefs filesystem be exported via NFS?

I have a bcachefs filesystem mounted on /meteor4. When I try to export
it, I get:

---
root@meteor:~# service nfs-kernel-server restart
 * Stopping NFS kernel daemon   [ OK ]
 * Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...      [ OK ]
 * Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...
exportfs: /meteor4 does not support NFS export
---

and the system log says:

Jun  6 14:11:28 meteor rpc.mountd[31541]: /meteor3 and /meteor4 have
same filehandle for *, using first

Not sure what this is about. /meteor3 is a vanilla ext4 partition.

If I try to access /meteor4 from another machine via NFS, Meteor's log
shows this:

Jun  6 14:15:10 meteor rpc.mountd[31541]: Cannot export /meteor4,
possibly unsupported filesystem or fsid= required

So I'm guessing it's not yet supported, but wanted to check in case I'm
doing something wrong.

Thanks,

-Martin

* Re: Can a bcachefs filesystem be exported via NFS?
@ 2016-06-08  3:45 ` Kent Overstreet
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2016-06-08  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin McClure; +Cc: linux-bcache

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 02:23:22PM -0700, Martin McClure wrote:
> Can a bcachefs filesystem be exported via NFS?
>
> I have a bcachefs filesystem mounted on /meteor4. When I try to export
> it, I get:
>
> ---
> root@meteor:~# service nfs-kernel-server restart
>  * Stopping NFS kernel daemon   [ OK ]
>  * Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...      [ OK ]
>  * Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...
> exportfs: /meteor4 does not support NFS export
> ---
>
> and the system log says:
>
> Jun  6 14:11:28 meteor rpc.mountd[31541]: /meteor3 and /meteor4 have
> same filehandle for *, using first
>
> Not sure what this is about. /meteor3 is a vanilla ext4 partition.
>
> If I try to access /meteor4 from another machine via NFS, Meteor's log
> shows this:
>
> Jun  6 14:15:10 meteor rpc.mountd[31541]: Cannot export /meteor4,
> possibly unsupported filesystem or fsid= required
>
> So I'm guessing it's not yet supported, but wanted to check in case I'm
> doing something wrong.

Thanks for noticing - yeah, not supported yet. And it's going to need an on disk
format change for i_generation, erg. Excuse me while I go punch myself...

* Re: Can a bcachefs filesystem be exported via NFS?
@ 2016-06-16 18:46   ` Eric Wheeler
From: Eric Wheeler @ 2016-06-16 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Overstreet; +Cc: Martin McClure, linux-bcache

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 02:23:22PM -0700, Martin McClure wrote:
> > Can a bcachefs filesystem be exported via NFS?
> > doing something wrong.
>
> Thanks for noticing - yeah, not supported yet. And it's going to need an on disk
> format change for i_generation, erg.

If the on-disk format is going to change, is it possible to make bcacheN
inodes compatible with files?  It would be great to export files
arbitrarily as block devices.

--
Eric Wheeler