* [ANNOUNCEMENT] ipset-3.2
@ 2009-08-21 14:12 Jozsef Kadlecsik
From: Jozsef Kadlecsik @ 2009-08-21 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter, netfilter-devel

Hi,

Some small issues needed fixing, so here comes the new ipset release with
the tiny changelog:

- Mixed up formats in ip_set_iptree.c fixed (Rob Sterenborg)
- Don't use 'bool' for backward compatibility reasons (Rob Sterenborg)

[It seems holidays are over :-).]

As usual, you can download it from http://ipset.netfilter.org or from
git://git.netfilter.org/ipset.git.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@blackhole.kfki.hu, kadlec@mail.kfki.hu
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] ipset-3.2
@ 2009-08-21 18:12 ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2009-08-21 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jozsef Kadlecsik; +Cc: netfilter, netfilter-devel

On Friday 2009-08-21 16:12, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:

>- Mixed up formats in ip_set_iptree.c fixed (Rob Sterenborg)
>- Don't use 'bool' for backward compatibility reasons (Rob Sterenborg)

What actually is it that bool can't be used?

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] ipset-3.2
@ 2009-08-22 13:35   ` Jozsef Kadlecsik
From: Jozsef Kadlecsik @ 2009-08-22 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: netfilter, netfilter-devel

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Friday 2009-08-21 16:12, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
> >
> >- Mixed up formats in ip_set_iptree.c fixed (Rob Sterenborg)
> >- Don't use 'bool' for backward compatibility reasons (Rob Sterenborg)
>
> What actually is it that bool can't be used?

The 'bool' typedef was introduced in 2.6.19. However, some centos kernel
releases versioned as 2.6.18 included the patch too. So without
autoconfig it is not possible to figure out, just by checking the kernel
version numbers, whether the kernel supports bool or not.

I want to support kernels as widely as possible and I do not really rely
on 'bool', therefore decided to avoid it in the kernel part of ipset.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-

@ 2009-08-22 13:57       ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2009-08-22 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jozsef Kadlecsik; +Cc: netfilter, netfilter-devel

On Saturday 2009-08-22 15:35, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
>On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>

>> On Friday 2009-08-21 16:12, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
>> >
>> >- Mixed up formats in ip_set_iptree.c fixed (Rob Sterenborg)
>> >- Don't use 'bool' for backward compatibility reasons (Rob Sterenborg)
>>
>> What actually is it that bool can't be used?
>
>The 'bool' typedef was introduced in 2.6.19. However, some centos kernel
>releases versioned as 2.6.18 included the patch too. So without
>autoconfig it is not possible to figure out, just by checking the kernel
>version numbers, whether the kernel supports bool or not.

Ah right. CentOS. Should have known. The platform where you can't
deploy any modules, because during their backport spree, they failed
to realize that external modules do rely on, say, < 2.6.22 _not_
having skb_*_header(), but skb->nh. I've given up on them.

But thanks for the reminder. :)

From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2009-08-22 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jozsef Kadlecsik; +Cc: netfilter, netfilter-devel

On Saturday 2009-08-22 15:35, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
>On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>

>> On Friday 2009-08-21 16:12, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
>> >
>> >- Mixed up formats in ip_set_iptree.c fixed (Rob Sterenborg)
>> >- Don't use 'bool' for backward compatibility reasons (Rob Sterenborg)
>>
>> What actually is it that bool can't be used?
>
>The 'bool' typedef was introduced in 2.6.19. However, some centos kernel
>releases versioned as 2.6.18 included the patch too. So without
>autoconfig it is not possible to figure out, just by checking the kernel
>version numbers, whether the kernel supports bool or not.

Ah right. CentOS. Should have known. The platform where you can't
deploy any modules, because during their backport spree, they failed
to realize that external modules do rely on, say, < 2.6.22 _not_
having skb_*_header(), but skb->nh. I've given up on them.

But thanks for the reminder. :)

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] ipset-3.2
  (?)
@ 2009-08-22 19:30       ` Rob Sterenborg
From: Rob Sterenborg @ 2009-08-22 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter, netfilter-devel

On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 15:57 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> Ah right. CentOS. Should have known. The platform where you can't
> deploy any modules, because during their backport spree, they failed
> to realize that external modules do rely on, say, < 2.6.22 _not_
> having skb_*_header(), but skb->nh. I've given up on them.
>
> But thanks for the reminder. :)

Since, as far as I understood, Centos is supposed to be a free and as
much as possible binary compatible replacement for RHEL, does this also
go for RHEL or is this behaviour Centos specific?

Rob

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] ipset-3.2
@ 2009-08-22 22:21         ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2009-08-22 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Sterenborg; +Cc: netfilter, netfilter-devel

On Saturday 2009-08-22 21:30, Rob Sterenborg wrote:

>On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 15:57 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> Ah right. CentOS. Should have known. The platform where you can't
>> deploy any modules, because during their backport spree, they failed
>> to realize that external modules do rely on, say, < 2.6.22 _not_
>> having skb_*_header(), but skb->nh. I've given up on them.
>>
>> But thanks for the reminder. :)
>
>Since, as far as I understood, Centos is supposed to be a free and as
>much as possible binary compatible replacement for RHEL, does this also
>go for RHEL or is this behaviour Centos specific?

With high probability this breakage extends to all RedHat Enterprise
products with 2.6.18.
(As a side note, they are not running a -stable either.
v2.6.18.4-7-gfaed318 is absent, for example.)