* out of vmalloc space
@ 2010-07-06  9:27 Oguz Yilmaz
From: Oguz Yilmaz @ 2010-07-06  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hi all,

Symptom of my problem was:

System can not ping to 127.0.0.1
I try to add an basic iptables rules
iptables -I OUTPUT -j ACCEPT
and command returned with an error including a long number.(like the
error message when you want to add DNAT to an unsupoorted chain)

In the dmesg log:

allocation failed: out of vmalloc space - use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
printk: 2 messages suppressed.

# cat /proc/meminfo
VmallocTotal:   118776 kB
VmallocUsed:     34948 kB
VmallocChunk:    57472 kB

Kernel Centos 5 kernel : 2.6.18-164
iptables-1.3.5

According to some notes from Internet and according to the dmesg log
it is about vmalloc.
However, meminfo shows only 34948 of 118776 vmallco is being used at
that moment.

1- How can I see the real vmalloc sizes, and what the left vmalloc is used for?
2- Is the problem about vmalloc?
3- Is the solution is vmalloc=... kernel param?

Best Regards,

Oguz Yilmaz

* Re: out of vmalloc space
@ 2010-07-07 17:13 ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2010-07-07 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oguz Yilmaz; +Cc: netfilter

On Tuesday 2010-07-06 11:27, Oguz Yilmaz wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Symptom of my problem was:
>
>System can not ping to 127.0.0.1
>I try to add an basic iptables rules
>iptables -I OUTPUT -j ACCEPT
>and command returned with an error including a long number.(like the
>error message when you want to add DNAT to an unsupoorted chain)

Long number - was a known bug. Please update to at least 1.4.3.

>In the dmesg log:
>
>allocation failed: out of vmalloc space - use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
>printk: 2 messages suppressed.

Do you happen to have too many rules?
(Though rules are cheap, like 20MB for 100000)

* Re: out of vmalloc space
@ 2010-07-09  5:40   ` Oguz Yilmaz
From: Oguz Yilmaz @ 2010-07-09  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: netfilter

iptables stop:
VmallocTotal:   118776 kB
VmallocUsed:      5556 kB
VmallocChunk:    57472 kB

iptables start:
VmallocTotal:   118776 kB
VmallocUsed:     34948 kB
VmallocChunk:    57472 kB

Total lines for iptables filter, nat and mangle tables are about 5000
Total chars fo the same output (wc -m output) is 536212 bytes.