* [GIT PULL] HID for 4.13
@ 2017-07-10  9:24 Jiri Kosina
From: Jiri Kosina @ 2017-07-10  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-kernel

Linus,

please pull from

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jikos/hid.git for-linus

to receive HID updates for 4.13 merge window:

=====
- open/close tracking improvements from Dmitry Torokhov
- battery support improvements in Wacom driver from Jason Gerecke
- Win8 support fixes from Benjamin Tissories and Hans de Geode
- misc fixes to Intel-ISH driver from Arnd Bergmann
- support for quite a few new devices and small assorted fixes here and
  there
=====

Thanks.

Alex Henrie (1):
      HID: apple: Use country code to detect ISO keyboards

Andy Shevchenko (1):
      HID: core: don't use negative operands when shift

Arnd Bergmann (5):
      HID: intel_ish-hid: fix potential uninitialized data usage
      HID: intel_ish-hid: clarify locking in client code
      HID: intel_ish-hid: convert timespec to ktime_t
      HID: intel_ish-hid: fix format string for size_t
      HID: intel_ish-hid: enable compile testing

Bastien Nocera (1):
      HID: Add driver for Retrode2 joypad adapter

Benjamin Tissoires (3):
      HID: multitouch: use BIT macro
      HID: multitouch: fix rare Win 8 cases when the touch up event gets missing
      HID: multitouch: optimize the sticky fingers timer

Colin Ian King (1):
      HID: wacom: fix mistake in printk

Daniel Drake (2):
      HID: move Asus keyboard support from hid-chicony to hid-asus
      HID: asus: Add support for Zen AiO MD-5110 keyboard

Dmitry Torokhov (8):
      HID: hiddev: use hid_hw_open/close instead of usbhid_open/close
      HID: hiddev: use hid_hw_power instead of usbhid_get/put_power
      HID: usbhid: do not rely on hid->open when deciding to do IO
      HID: serialize hid_hw_open and hid_hw_close
      HID: i2c-hid: remove custom locking from i2c_hid_open/close
      HID: usbhid: remove custom locking from usbhid_open/close
      greybus: hid: remove custom locking from gb_hid_open/close
      HID: remove no longer used hid->open field

Hans de Goede (3):
      HID: Add mapping for Microsoft Win8 Wireless Radio Controls extensions
      HID: ite: Add hid-ite driver
      HID: Microsoft Win8 Wireless Radio Controls cleanup

Jason Gerecke (5):
      HID: wacom: generic: Scale battery capacity measurements to percentages
      HID: wacom: generic: Ignore HID_DG_BATTERYSTRENTH == 0
      HID: wacom: generic: Report AES battery information
      HID: wacom: Add ability to provide explicit battery status info
      HID: wacom: generic: Refactor generic battery handling

Masaki Ota (1):
      HID: multitouch: Support PTP Stick and Touchpad device

Song Hongyan (2):
      HID: intel-ish-hid: Enable Cannon Lake ish driver
      HID: intel-ish-hid: Enable Gemini Lake ish driver

Wei-Ning Huang (1):
      HID: multitouch: Add support for Google Rose Touchpad

Wolfram Sang (1):
      HID: i2c-hid: move header file out of I2C realm

 drivers/hid/Kconfig                            |  15 ++
 drivers/hid/Makefile                           |   2 +
 drivers/hid/hid-apple.c                        |  59 ++++----
 drivers/hid/hid-asus.c                         |  30 ++++
 drivers/hid/hid-chicony.c                      |   2 -
 drivers/hid/hid-core.c                         | 102 ++++++++++++-
 drivers/hid/hid-ids.h                          |  14 +-
 drivers/hid/hid-input.c                        |   9 ++
 drivers/hid/hid-ite.c                          |  56 +++++++
 drivers/hid/hid-multitouch.c                   | 184 ++++++++++++++++++-----
 drivers/hid/hid-retrode.c                      | 100 +++++++++++++
 drivers/hid/i2c-hid/i2c-hid.c                  |  34 ++---
 drivers/hid/intel-ish-hid/Kconfig              |   2 +-
 drivers/hid/intel-ish-hid/ipc/hw-ish.h         |   2 +
 drivers/hid/intel-ish-hid/ipc/ipc.c            |  15 +-
 drivers/hid/intel-ish-hid/ipc/pci-ish.c        |   2 +
 drivers/hid/intel-ish-hid/ishtp-hid-client.c   |   5 +-
 drivers/hid/intel-ish-hid/ishtp/client.c       |  49 +++---
 drivers/hid/intel-ish-hid/ishtp/client.h       |   6 +-
 drivers/hid/intel-ish-hid/ishtp/hbm.c          |  11 +-
 drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c                  | 150 +++++++++----------
 drivers/hid/usbhid/hiddev.c                    |  24 +--
 drivers/hid/usbhid/usbhid.h                    |  15 +-
 drivers/hid/wacom.h                            |   1 +
 drivers/hid/wacom_sys.c                        |   4 +-
 drivers/hid/wacom_wac.c                        | 200 +++++++++++++++----------
 drivers/hid/wacom_wac.h                        |   7 +
 drivers/staging/greybus/hid.c                  |  43 ++----
 include/linux/hid.h                            |  82 +++-------
 include/linux/{i2c => platform_data}/i2c-hid.h |   0
 create mode 100644 drivers/hid/hid-ite.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/hid/hid-retrode.c
 rename include/linux/{i2c => platform_data}/i2c-hid.h (100%)

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs

* Re: [GIT PULL] HID for 4.13
@ 2017-07-10 17:05 ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2017-07-10 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 2:24 AM, Jiri Kosina <jikos@kernel.org> wrote:

>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jikos/hid.git for-linus

I've pulled this, but looking at the thing, I absolutely _hate_ your
merge commits.

They have no commit messages! They look like this:

    Merge branches 'for-4.13/ish' and 'for-4.13/ite' into for-linus

    Conflicts:
            drivers/hid/hid-core.c

which doesn't tell anybody anything.

Please. If you can't make a message for a merge, don't do the merge.
Send me the separate branches instead.

Or just write useful merge messages.

It's possible that you're running some truly ancient git version that
didn't start an editor by default for merges. If so, upgrade your git
install.

Either way, it's not ok to do merges without explanations. We have
higher standards for kernel history than that.

              Linus

* Re: [GIT PULL] HID for 4.13
@ 2017-07-10 18:57   ` Jiri Kosina
From: Jiri Kosina @ 2017-07-10 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> >   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jikos/hid.git for-linus
>
> I've pulled this, but looking at the thing, I absolutely _hate_ your
> merge commits.
>
> They have no commit messages! They look like this:
>
>     Merge branches 'for-4.13/ish' and 'for-4.13/ite' into for-linus
>
>     Conflicts:
>             drivers/hid/hid-core.c
>
> which doesn't tell anybody anything.
>
> Please. If you can't make a message for a merge, don't do the merge.
> Send me the separate branches instead.
>
> Or just write useful merge messages.
>
> It's possible that you're running some truly ancient git version that
> didn't start an editor by default for merges. If so, upgrade your git
> install.
>
> Either way, it's not ok to do merges without explanations. We have
> higher standards for kernel history than that.

Yeah, point taken. I usually have a lot of small-to-tiny topic branches,
where I myself consider even the name of the branch often descriptive
enough; but I agree that this might not be the case for someone else
reviewing the merge.

Will continue with my current workflow and I'll increase the verbosity of
the merge logs.

Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs