* Re: Workqueues and the Nvidia driver
@ 2002-10-24 12:59 Ashwin  Sawant
From: Ashwin  Sawant @ 2002-10-24 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Regarding the problems with the nvidia driver on 2.5.44, the
problem is, as Dave suggested, the GPL-only workqueues. I changed
(for personal use) the relevant EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPLs to
EXPORT_SYMBOLs in workqueue.c. It works quite fine even though it
is a bit unstable.
Adding a MODULE_LICENSE("GPL") line to the nvidia driver would
have been quicker but I don't somehow think that's allowed :)
Cheers,
Ashwin.

Give your Company an email address like
ravi @ ravi-exports.com.  Sign up for Rediffmail Pro today!
Know more. http://www.rediffmailpro.com/signup/

* Re: Workqueues and the Nvidia driver
@ 2002-10-24 14:42 ` Henning P. Schmiedehausen
From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen @ 2002-10-24 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

"Ashwin  Sawant" <sawant_ashwin@rediffmail.com> writes:

>Adding a MODULE_LICENSE("GPL") line to the nvidia driver would
>have been quicker but I don't somehow think that's allowed :)

If you don't distribute the resulting binary and the modified source
code, of course it is. It's unethical though. And ugly, too. :-)

	Regards
		Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   info@intermeta.de
D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

* Re: Workqueues and the Nvidia driver
@ 2002-10-24 21:36 ` Chris Wedgwood
From: Chris Wedgwood @ 2002-10-24 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashwin Sawant; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 05:52:55PM -0000, Ashwin  Sawant wrote:

> I have successfully compiled the latest Nvidia driver with kernel
> 2.5.44 on a heavily modified RH 7.2 (original compiler) box after
> applying the patch posted to this list previously.

I wrote the initial workqueues patch --- and it was bogus of me to use
workqueues.

I have a patch that uses tasklet instead which works much better; if
you want this email me off the list (this applies to anyone who wants
this stuff --- DO NOT clutter l-k with this please).

  --cw

* Re: Workqueues and the Nvidia driver
@ 2002-10-24 13:58 ` Denis Vlasenko
From: Denis Vlasenko @ 2002-10-24 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashwin Sawant, linux-kernel

On 23 October 2002 15:52, Ashwin  Sawant wrote:
> I have successfully compiled the latest Nvidia driver with kernel
> 2.5.44 on a heavily modified RH 7.2 (original compiler) box  after
> applying the patch posted to this list previously. However it
> can't be loaded because insmod bombs out saying that, IIRC,
> create_workqueue, flush_workqueue, and a couple of other similar
> symbols are unresolved.
> nm vmlinux shows that these symbols exist and this is (obviously)
> reflected in the System.map. However, the proc interface doesn't
> show them. I use modutils-2.4.6.

Way old. Maybe not the cause of your problem, but I see there are
modutils 2.4.21
--
vda

* Re: Workqueues and the Nvidia driver
@ 2002-10-23 18:07 ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2002-10-23 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashwin Sawant; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 05:52:55PM -0000, Ashwin  Sawant wrote:
 > I have successfully compiled the latest Nvidia driver with kernel
 > 2.5.44 on a heavily modified RH 7.2 (original compiler) box  after
 > applying the patch posted to this list previously. However it
 > can't be loaded because insmod bombs out saying that, IIRC,
 > create_workqueue, flush_workqueue, and a couple of other similar
 > symbols are unresolved.

These symbols are exported only to modules with a GPL license.
The nVidia driver does not meet this criteria.

		Dave

--
| Dave Jones.        http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

* Workqueues and the Nvidia driver
@ 2002-10-23 17:52 Ashwin  Sawant
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ashwin  Sawant @ 2002-10-23 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have successfully compiled the latest Nvidia driver with kernel
2.5.44 on a heavily modified RH 7.2 (original compiler) box  after
applying the patch posted to this list previously. However it
can't be loaded because insmod bombs out saying that, IIRC,
create_workqueue, flush_workqueue, and a couple of other similar
symbols are unresolved.
nm vmlinux shows that these symbols exist and this is (obviously)
reflected in the System.map. However, the proc interface doesn't
show them. I use modutils-2.4.6.
I'm not familiar with the internals but IMHO, this may be a
problem with the kernel and not only with the Nvidia driver
(hence, the reason for posting here).
Any advice/info would be appreciated.
TIA,