* [ALSA - driver 0001205]: Mark M-Audio Revolution 7.1 (and probably other ICE1724 cards) as the one with no capture in card matrix
@ 2005-06-22 21:16 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-22 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1205>
Reported By:                sst4
Assigned To:
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1205
Category:                   1_OTHERS
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             06-20-2005 00:30 CEST
Last Modified:              06-22-2005 23:16 CEST
Takashi said the following regarding M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card:

in https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1096 :

"
No, there is no capture control at all on this board, indeed. At least,
the hardware spec I got tells nothing about the capture controls. No gain
control, no input selection.
";

in https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1164 :

"
Again, revo has no capture control. At least, the hardware spec I got
tells so.
";

in https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1187 :

"
The input selection of line-in and mic is unknown thing - i.e. we have no
technical information about this feature at all.
".

The quoted words above were said in response to my questions regarding
enabling capture.

>From the same quoted words I understand that at the moment there is no
known
way to enable capture.

Because of this I think it would be fair to mark the card as the one with
unsupported capture. Probably other ICE1724-based cards have the same
problem
too.

It would be a pity if other people buy the card and wouldn't be able to
use its
capture.

I have uploaded current snapshot of ALSA card matrix, it says:
"
 (4) Capture of sound not supported.
",
so I think this marker should be added to the card's description.

Thanks,
  Sergei.

Relationships       ID      Summary
duplicate of        0001096 no capture with M-Audio Revolution 7.1

 tiwai - 06-22-05 11:16
OK, I found my old Revo 7.1 and put to the test machine.
The capture works indeed.  Both inputs from mic-in and line-in are
recorded simply via "arecord -fcd foo.wav".

The problem is that the signal is fairly low, and I have no idea how can
one record from either line or mic exclusively.  So, there might be any
unknown registers to do more stuff.  But, at least, it works _partially_.

Regarding the capture controls:

A I wrote many times, there is no control of capture on this card.  Let me
repeat my answer: No control, nothing, nada.

This doesn NOT mean that you can't capture.  On the contrary, the capture
on this card is always enabled without setting controls.  In other words,
you can't adjust anything about capture.  Similarly, no "Line Playback"
control, etc.  The device is damn simple.

I'm afraid that you're possibly referring to a different card or model
from what I have.  Who knows.  Anyway, the problem is not reproducible
here.

 sst4 - 06-22-05 23:16
Takashi, regarding these words of yours:
"
Both inputs from mic-in and line-in are recorded simply via "arecord -fcd
foo.wav".
"
- I didn't try recording.

As I wrote in my report, I wanted to hear sound from my TV card in the
headphones.

The same TV card works fine with other sound cards; I wrote about my way
(of testing)/expectations on May the 24th 2005 in

https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1096 :

"
I am trying to answer the "How did you test the capture?" question:

I have a Pinnacle TV capture card is connected to Line input of the
M-Audio cound card.

I also have a microphone connected to Mic input of the M-Audio cound
card.

Both the TV card and the microphone worked fine with SB Live 5.1 - out of
the box.

As I incidentally discovered
(https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php [^]?id=1106)
the card is able of capturing sound at least under some circumstances.

In layman terms I would like to be able to hear sound from my TV card and
from my microphone
the way it used to be with SB Live 5.1.

Do I have, by any chance, to change settings of routing switches in
'alsamixer' or using 'amixer' ?

If yes, what should the settings be ?

Thanks,
  Sergei.
".

At this stage functionality of 'arecord' is secondary - I need first to
hear
sound in the headphones.

So, could you please try to reproduce my environment by checking sound in
the headphones (rather, on "Line out" in generic terms).

Thanks,
  Sergei.

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change
06-20-05 00:30 sst4           New Issue
06-20-05 00:30 sst4           File Added: alsa_card_matrix.html

06-21-05 12:44 tiwai          Note Added: 0005107
06-21-05 23:53 sst4           Note Added: 0005114
06-22-05 01:47 rlrevell       Relationship added       duplicate of 0001096
06-22-05 11:16 tiwai          Note Added: 0005122
06-22-05 23:16 sst4           Note Added: 0005154

@ 2005-06-23  8:47 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-23  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

The following issue has been RESOLVED.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1205>
Reported By:                sst4
Assigned To:                tiwai
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1205
Category:                   1_OTHERS
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             06-20-2005 00:30 CEST
Last Modified:              06-23-2005 10:47 CEST

 tiwai - 06-23-05 10:47
This is a misunderstanding.  Let's close.

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change
06-20-05 00:30 sst4           New Issue
06-20-05 00:30 sst4           File Added: alsa_card_matrix.html

06-21-05 12:44 tiwai          Note Added: 0005107
06-21-05 23:53 sst4           Note Added: 0005114
06-22-05 01:47 rlrevell       Relationship added       duplicate of 0001096
06-22-05 11:16 tiwai          Note Added: 0005122
06-22-05 23:16 sst4           Note Added: 0005154
06-23-05 10:47 tiwai          Status                   new => resolved
06-23-05 10:47 tiwai          Resolution               open => not an issue
06-23-05 10:47 tiwai          Assigned To               => tiwai
06-23-05 10:47 tiwai          Note Added: 0005165

@ 2005-06-22  9:16 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-22  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1205>
Reported By:                sst4
Assigned To:
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1205
Category:                   1_OTHERS
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             06-20-2005 00:30 CEST
Last Modified:              06-22-2005 11:16 CEST

 sst4 - 06-21-05 23:53
Takashi - "The capture works partially" words of yours are not true.

That is, out of the box capture does NOT work, and to be fair it does not
work for almost any card.

However, if I look into, say, asound.state file of CT4610 and the like
cards,
(
snd-ens1371 driver, recent example:

https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1023 , attached
https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/file_download.php?file_id=654&type=bug

file
),

I see pieces like these:

	control.15 {
		comment.access 'read write'
		comment.type BOOLEAN
		iface MIXER
		name 'Mic Playback Switch'
		value false
	}
	control.16 {
		comment.access 'read write'
		comment.type INTEGER
		comment.range '0 - 31'
		iface MIXER
		name 'Mic Playback Volume'
		value 0
	}
	control.17 {
		comment.access 'read write'
		comment.type BOOLEAN
		iface MIXER
		name 'Mic Boost (+20dB)'
		value false
	}
	control.18 {
		comment.access 'read write'
		comment.type BOOLEAN
		iface MIXER
		name 'Line Playback Switch'
		value false
	}
	control.19 {
		comment.access 'read write'
		comment.type INTEGER
		comment.range '0 - 31'
		iface MIXER
		name 'Line Playback Volume'
		value.0 0
		value.1 0
	}
.

So, I understand that in order to enable capture I have to give TRUE
values to flags and non-zero values to volumes.

And changing the flags/volumes makes capture work.

In the M-Audio asound.state file I see no words like "Line Playback
Switch",
"Line Playback Volume", so I do not know what to change in order to get
capture
working.

I asked the question about controls of M-Audion Revolution 7.1. time and
again,
and equivalent question about changing values in asound.state file too,
but you
gave me no answer.

So, since apparently nobody knows the answer, please marked the card as
the
one with unsupported capture, or tell me, please, whow to enable capture.

In particular, what control numbers in asound.state file of M-Audio
Revolution
to change and how to make capture work.

Thanks,
  Sergei.

 tiwai - 06-22-05 11:16
[...]

Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change

@ 2005-06-21 23:47 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-21 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

The following issue has been set as DUPLICATE OF issue 0001096.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1205>
Reported By:                sst4
Assigned To:
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1205
Category:                   1_OTHERS
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             06-20-2005 00:30 CEST
Last Modified:              06-22-2005 01:47 CEST

 tiwai - 06-21-05 12:44
Please read texts carefully.  The capture works partially.  But no
"control" for capture exists.

 sst4 - 06-21-05 23:53
[...]

Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change

@ 2005-06-21 21:53 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-21 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1205>
Reported By:                sst4
Assigned To:
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1205
Category:                   1_OTHERS
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             06-20-2005 00:30 CEST
Last Modified:              06-21-2005 23:53 CEST

 tiwai - 06-21-05 12:44

 sst4 - 06-21-05 23:53
[...]

Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change

@ 2005-06-21 10:44 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-21 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1205>
Reported By:                sst4
Assigned To:
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1205
Category:                   1_OTHERS
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             06-20-2005 00:30 CEST
Last Modified:              06-21-2005 12:44 CEST

 tiwai - 06-21-05 12:44
Please read texts carefully.  The capture works partially.  But no
"control" for capture exists.

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change

@ 2005-06-19 22:30 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-19 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1205>
Reported By:                sst4
Assigned To:
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1205
Category:                   1_OTHERS
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             06-20-2005 00:30 CEST
Last Modified:              06-20-2005 00:30 CEST
Takashi said the following regarding M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card:

in https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1096 :

"
No, there is no capture control at all on this board, indeed. At least,
the hardware spec I got tells nothing about the capture controls. No gain
control, no input selection.
";

in https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1164 :

"
Again, revo has no capture control. At least, the hardware spec I got
tells so.
";

in https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1187 :

"
The input selection of line-in and mic is unknown thing - i.e. we have no
technical information about this feature at all.
".

The quoted words above were said in response to my questions regarding
enabling capture.

>From the same quoted words I understand that at the moment there is no
known
way to enable capture.

Because of this I think it would be fair to mark the card as the one with
unsupported capture. Probably other ICE1724-based cards have the same
problem
too.

It would be a pity if other people buy the card and wouldn't be able to
use its
capture.

I have uploaded current snapshot of ALSA card matrix, it says:
"
 (4) Capture of sound not supported.
",
so I think this marker should be added to the card's description.

Thanks,
  Sergei.

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change