* Re: v0.19.1 stable updates
@ 2010-03-09 11:48 Anton
From: Anton @ 2010-03-09 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

Sage, do you think CEPH now is ok (stable enough) to be
atleast sure that uploaded data will not be corrupted, (and
could be recovered in the case of fault) - for use as simple
file store - say in the scenario of  "upload/modify rarely,
read often"?. Right now I use Gluster as clustered FS - but
overhead of 1+1 replication in Gluster is just HUGE

Regards,
Anton.

On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Sage Weil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've pushed out some stable updates to master granches
>  of the git trees and tagged a 0.19.1 stable release.
>  For the server side, the fixes are minor: mainly a
>  problem with /etc/init.d/ceph when /bin/sh is dash
>  (ubuntu) and a rare mds crash.  The kernel client fixes
>  are a bit more significant: mainly a bad write(2) return
>  value and a crash when snapshots were deleted.
>
> sage
>
> -- server side ------------------
>
> Sage Weil (8):
>       debian: mount.ceph in /sbin, not /usr/sbin
>       Makefile: include debian/
>       Makefile: fix /sbin hack
>       mds: fix sessionmap decoding
>       init-ceph: don't barf on dash when no command
>       cauthtool: --caps fn alone is a command
>       debian: new release, push, build, publish scripts
>       0.19.1
>
> Yehuda Sadeh (1):
>       automake: fix mount sbin dir when configured with
>  prefix
>

> -- kernel client -----------------
>
> Alexander Beregalov (1):
>       ceph: move dereference after NULL test
>
> Sage Weil (5):
>       ceph: fix handle_forward parsing
>       ceph: reset front len on return to msgpool; BUG on
>  mismatched front iov ceph: set osd request message front
>  length correctly ceph: fix osdmap decoding when pools
>  include (removed) snaps ceph: v0.19.1 stable release
>
> Yehuda Sadeh (1):
>       ceph: don't clobber write return value when using
>  O_SYNC

Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev

* Re: v0.19.1 stable updates
@ 2010-03-09 13:29 ` Roland Rabben
From: Roland Rabben @ 2010-03-09 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel, ceph-devel

Same story with me. Currently a frustrated Gluster user waiting for that
message saying things are safe to store data with CEPH - in production.

Regards,
Roland

2010/3/9 Anton <anton.vazir@gmail.com>

> Sage, do you think CEPH now is ok (stable enough) to be
> atleast sure that uploaded data will not be corrupted, (and
> could be recovered in the case of fault) - for use as simple
> file store - say in the scenario of  "upload/modify rarely,
> read often"?. Right now I use Gluster as clustered FS - but
> overhead of 1+1 replication in Gluster is just HUGE
>
> Regards,
> Anton.
>
> On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Sage Weil wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We've pushed out some stable updates to master granches
> >  of the git trees and tagged a 0.19.1 stable release.
> >  For the server side, the fixes are minor: mainly a
> >  problem with /etc/init.d/ceph when /bin/sh is dash
> >  (ubuntu) and a rare mds crash.  The kernel client fixes
> >  are a bit more significant: mainly a bad write(2) return
> >  value and a crash when snapshots were deleted.
> >
> > sage
> >
> > -- server side ------------------
> >
> > Sage Weil (8):
> >       debian: mount.ceph in /sbin, not /usr/sbin
> >       Makefile: include debian/
> >       Makefile: fix /sbin hack
> >       mds: fix sessionmap decoding
> >       init-ceph: don't barf on dash when no command
> >       cauthtool: --caps fn alone is a command
> >       debian: new release, push, build, publish scripts
> >       0.19.1
> >
> > Yehuda Sadeh (1):
> >       automake: fix mount sbin dir when configured with
> >  prefix
> >

> > -- kernel client -----------------
> >
> > Alexander Beregalov (1):
> >       ceph: move dereference after NULL test
> >
> > Sage Weil (5):
> >       ceph: fix handle_forward parsing
> >       ceph: reset front len on return to msgpool; BUG on
> >  mismatched front iov ceph: set osd request message front
> >  length correctly ceph: fix osdmap decoding when pools
> >  include (removed) snaps ceph: v0.19.1 stable release
> >
> > Yehuda Sadeh (1):
> >       ceph: don't clobber write return value when using
> >  O_SYNC

Roland Rabben
Founder & CEO Jotta AS
Cell: +47 90 85 85 39
Phone: +47 21 04 29 00
Email: roland@jotta.no

Download Intel&#174; Parallel Studio Eval
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev

* Re: v0.19.1 stable updates
@ 2010-03-10 13:33 ` Anton
From: Anton @ 2010-03-10 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

Considering the silence,
I understand that stuff still in the heavy development, but
0.19 have been named "stable" and I thought that its time to
ask again, but anyway looks like it's time to test. :)

@ 2010-03-10 16:43   ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2010-03-10 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-devel

Hi Anton,
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, Anton wrote:
> Considering the silence,
> I understand that stuff still in the heavy development, but
> 0.19 have been named "stable" and I thought that its time to
> ask again, but anyway looks like it's time to test. :)

Sorry for the slow reply, this got lost in my mail yesterday.

> On Tuesday 09 March 2010, Anton wrote:
> > Sage, do you think CEPH now is ok (stable enough) to be
> > atleast sure that uploaded data will not be corrupted,
> >  (and could be recovered in the case of fault) - for use
> >  as simple file store - say in the scenario of
> >  "upload/modify rarely, read often"?. Right now I use
> >  Gluster as clustered FS - but overhead of 1+1
> >  replication in Gluster is just HUGE

The disk format in 0.19 is stable, which means we will maintain
compatibility with new version going forward so that you won't have to
reformat the file system.

The system itself is still under heavy development, however, and should
not be trusted with important data.  The latest code is stable enough that
we would benefit from broader testing on a wider range of hardware and
deployment scenarios, and in a read-mostly environment I don't anticipate
many problems (read: please test!), but you sooner or later you will run
into trouble if you try to use the current code in production.

sage

@ 2010-03-09 11:26 ` Anton
From: Anton @ 2010-03-09 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

Sage, do you think CEPH now is ok (stable enough) to be
atleast sure that uploaded data will not be corrupted, (and
could be recovered in the case of fault) - for use as simple
file store - say in the scenario of  "upload/modify rarely,
read often"?. Right now I use Gluster as clustered FS - but
overhead of 1+1 replication in Gluster is just HUGE

Regards,
Anton.

On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Sage Weil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've pushed out some stable updates to master granches
>  of the git trees and tagged a 0.19.1 stable release.
>  For the server side, the fixes are minor: mainly a
>  problem with /etc/init.d/ceph when /bin/sh is dash
>  (ubuntu) and a rare mds crash.  The kernel client fixes
>  are a bit more significant: mainly a bad write(2) return
>  value and a crash when snapshots were deleted.
>
> sage
>
> -- server side ------------------
>
> Sage Weil (8):
>       debian: mount.ceph in /sbin, not /usr/sbin
>       Makefile: include debian/
>       Makefile: fix /sbin hack
>       mds: fix sessionmap decoding
>       init-ceph: don't barf on dash when no command
>       cauthtool: --caps fn alone is a command
>       debian: new release, push, build, publish scripts
>       0.19.1
>
> Yehuda Sadeh (1):
>       automake: fix mount sbin dir when configured with
>  prefix
>

> -- kernel client -----------------
>
> Alexander Beregalov (1):
>       ceph: move dereference after NULL test
>
> Sage Weil (5):
>       ceph: fix handle_forward parsing
>       ceph: reset front len on return to msgpool; BUG on
>  mismatched front iov ceph: set osd request message front
>  length correctly ceph: fix osdmap decoding when pools
>  include (removed) snaps ceph: v0.19.1 stable release
>
> Yehuda Sadeh (1):
>       ceph: don't clobber write return value when using
>  O_SYNC

Anton V. Gnitko
Technical Director
Eastera Co. Ltd.
+992 43 3770123
+992 37 2270101
http://www.eastera.tj

Download Intel&#174; Parallel Studio Eval
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev

* v0.19.1 stable updates
@ 2010-03-02 19:19 Sage Weil