* Linux UDP and RTNet
@ 2019-07-30 13:07 Michael Smith
From: Michael Smith @ 2019-07-30 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Hi I've got a RTNet setup running with a TDMA-based network.
At the same time I try to send normal UDP packets on another non
real-time Linux NIC.
I get the error message "No route to host" when I try to do this.
As soon as I stop RTNet the non real-time NIC is able to send the UDP
packet normally.

I assume because RTNet is UDP based it sees all UDP packets as RTNet bound.
Is there a way arround this? Is it possible to send a non real-time
UDP packet on a 2nd non real-time NIC while RTNet is running?
I assume maybe by using rtroute something like this can work, but I'm
not sure how this will be done.

Thanks
Michael Smith

* Re: Linux UDP and RTNet
@ 2019-07-30 14:24 ` Jan Kiszka
       [not found]   ` <CANWkrROsZumbjvf0OOwita192OcL=-0JJmvbEivaF81Cx_Nd=Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-07-30 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Smith, Xenomai@xenomai.org

On 30.07.19 15:07, Michael Smith via Xenomai wrote:
> Hi I've got a RTNet setup running with a TDMA-based network.
> At the same time I try to send normal UDP packets on another non
> real-time Linux NIC.

How do you try this? With a Xenomai application that opens a UDP socket? Then
you have to ensure that it does that using the non-RT APIs, e.g. by wrapping the
socket call: __STD(socket(...));

Jan

> I get the error message "No route to host" when I try to do this.
> As soon as I stop RTNet the non real-time NIC is able to send the UDP
> packet normally.
>
> I assume because RTNet is UDP based it sees all UDP packets as RTNet bound.
> Is there a way arround this? Is it possible to send a non real-time
> UDP packet on a 2nd non real-time NIC while RTNet is running?
> I assume maybe by using rtroute something like this can work, but I'm
> not sure how this will be done.
>
> Thanks
> Michael Smith

* Fwd: Linux UDP and RTNet
       [not found]   ` <CANWkrROsZumbjvf0OOwita192OcL=-0JJmvbEivaF81Cx_Nd=Q@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-07-31  7:08     ` Michael Smith
From: Michael Smith @ 2019-07-31  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 4:24 PM Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> wrote:

> On 30.07.19 15:07, Michael Smith via Xenomai wrote:
> > Hi I've got a RTNet setup running with a TDMA-based network.
> > At the same time I try to send normal UDP packets on another non
> > real-time Linux NIC.
>
> How do you try this? With a Xenomai application that opens a UDP socket? Then
> you have to ensure that it does that using the non-RT APIs, e.g. by wrapping the
> socket call: __STD(socket(...));

It works perfectly.
Thanks Jan.