* checkpatch: false positive "does MAINTAINERS need updating?" warning
@ 2019-10-07  4:44 Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2019-10-07  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Joe,

I ran checkpatch.pl against the following:
https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/1136334/

I did update MAINTAINERS, but I still get
"does MAINTAINERS need updating?" warning.
Why?

$ scripts/checkpatch.pl
0001-doc-move-namespaces.rst-out-of-kbuild-directory.patch
WARNING: added, moved or deleted file(s), does MAINTAINERS need updating?
#18:
 Documentation/{kbuild => admin-guide}/namespaces.rst | 0

total: 0 errors, 1 warnings, 14 lines checked

NOTE: For some of the reported defects, checkpatch may be able to
      mechanically convert to the typical style using --fix or --fix-inplace.

0001-doc-move-namespaces.rst-out-of-kbuild-directory.patch has style
problems, please review.

NOTE: If any of the errors are false positives, please report
      them to the maintainer, see CHECKPATCH in MAINTAINERS.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

* Re: checkpatch: false positive "does MAINTAINERS need updating?" warning
@ 2019-10-07  6:52 ` Joe Perches
From: Joe Perches @ 2019-10-07  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2019-10-07 at 13:44 +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>

> I ran checkpatch.pl against the following:
> https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/1136334/
>

> I did update MAINTAINERS, but I still get
> "does MAINTAINERS need updating?" warning.
> Why?

Because checkpatch is not able to determine
that you updated MAINTAINERS correctly.

Ignore checkpatch output when you know better.