* DVB USB issues we has currently
@ 2012-05-03 14:20 Antti Palosaari
From: Antti Palosaari @ 2012-05-03 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hello,
Here we are, that's the first part I am going to fix as a GSoC project.
Work is planned to start after two weeks but better to discuss beforehand.

And wish-list is now open!

I see two big DVB USB issues including multiple small issues;

1)
Current static structure is too limited as devices are more dynamics
nowadays. Driver should be able to probe/read from eeprom device
configuration.

Fixing all of those means rather much work - I think new version of DVB
USB is needed.

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg44996.html

2)
Suspend/resume is not supported and crashes Kernel. I have no idea what
is wrong here and what is needed. But as it has been long term known
problem I suspect it is not trivial.

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg10293.html

regards
Antti
--
http://palosaari.fi/

* Re: DVB USB issues we has currently
@ 2012-05-03 15:04 ` Patrick Boettcher
From: Patrick Boettcher @ 2012-05-03 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antti Palosaari; +Cc: linux-media

On Thursday 03 May 2012 16:20:23 Antti Palosaari wrote:
> Hello,
> Here we are, that's the first part I am going to fix as a GSoC
> project. Work is planned to start after two weeks but better to
> discuss beforehand.
>
> And wish-list is now open!
>
> I see two big DVB USB issues including multiple small issues;
>
> 1)
> Current static structure is too limited as devices are more dynamics
> nowadays. Driver should be able to probe/read from eeprom device
> configuration.
>
> Fixing all of those means rather much work - I think new version of
> DVB USB is needed.

I'm looking forward to see RFCs about proposals for additions to dvb-
usb's structure. Especially the ugly device-usb-id-referencing.

What do you mean by "new version"?

> 2)
> Suspend/resume is not supported and crashes Kernel. I have no idea
> what is wrong here and what is needed. But as it has been long term
> known problem I suspect it is not trivial.

Are you sure that suspend/resume-crashes are related to dvb-usb?

Maybe the refactoring of some buffer-handling should be considered.

Also adding support for hybrid (analog+dvb-devices) is missing. Mike
Krufky did some work somewhere which looked promising but was never
merged.

best regards,
--
Patrick.

* Re: DVB USB issues we has currently
@ 2012-05-03 22:24   ` Antti Palosaari
From: Antti Palosaari @ 2012-05-03 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Boettcher; +Cc: Antti Palosaari, linux-media

to 3.5.2012 18:04 Patrick Boettcher kirjoitti:
> On Thursday 03 May 2012 16:20:23 Antti Palosaari wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Here we are, that's the first part I am going to fix as a GSoC
>> project. Work is planned to start after two weeks but better to
>> discuss beforehand.
>>
>> And wish-list is now open!
>>
>> I see two big DVB USB issues including multiple small issues;
>>
>> 1)
>> Current static structure is too limited as devices are more dynamics
>> nowadays. Driver should be able to probe/read from eeprom device
>> configuration.
>>
>> Fixing all of those means rather much work - I think new version of
>> DVB USB is needed.
>
> I'm looking forward to see RFCs about proposals for additions to dvb-
> usb's structure. Especially the ugly device-usb-id-referencing.

RFC is  scheduled to first working week. Before that I can list all issues
I am aware and I am planning to fix. Good starting point of looking
problems is AF9015 driver and some other that reads device configuration
from eeprom and sets config struct values.

> What do you mean by "new version"?

I think it is so much changes that are very hard to do for existing
dvb-usb as all individual dvb-usb drivers must be changed. But that will
became clear after all changes are clear and RFC is approved.

Earlier I have mentioned for example availability of priv/state for first
callbacks.

I would like to list all all device properties, which are same for
chipset, and which are only for one device model (for example remote
keytable).

> Also adding support for hybrid (analog+dvb-devices) is missing. Mike
> Krufky did some work somewhere which looked promising but was never
> merged.

That was one feature what I was also thinking. But I think I don't have
any such device currently - at least I have no own experience. So let's
see.

Also static limit for amount of individual devices in the config struct is
something I would like to fix. Now it is over 10 device models, but as we
have devices more than 10 it is needed to add multiple configurations.
IIRC AF9015 has 3 currently.

But I am now on weekend trip. I will list issues more detailed in next week.

regards
Antti