* Missing PVR setting capability
@ 2019-10-21 21:06 Wayne Li
From: Wayne Li @ 2019-10-21 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Dear Qemu list members,

I'm attempting to enable KVM in a Qemu-based project that is running on a
T4240RDB board.  After compiling my code with the -enable-kvm option I ran
the qemu executable with the -enable-kvm option.  The application exited
with the following error message: "kvm error: missing PVR setting
capability."  What are some possibilities causing this error?

*Wayne Z. Li*
*The Boeing Company* | BT&E ESSI Midwest

Software Tools & Modeling | St. Louis

Cell: (801) 691-4098 * | *wayne.z.li@boeing.com <justin.l.jiang@boeing.com>

* Re: Missing PVR setting capability
@ 2019-10-22  7:04 ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2019-10-22  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wayne Li, qemu-devel; +Cc: KONRAD Frederic, qemu-ppc

On 21/10/2019 23.06, Wayne Li wrote:
> Dear Qemu list members,
>
> I'm attempting to enable KVM in a Qemu-based project that is running on
> a T4240RDB board.  After compiling my code with the -enable-kvm option I
> ran the qemu executable with the -enable-kvm option.  The application
> exited with the following error message: "kvm error: missing PVR setting
> capability."  What are some possibilities causing this error?

That's an e6500 bas PPC board, isn't it? ... I guess nobody has been
running KVM on such a system in a while...

What do you get when running "lsmod | grep kvm" ? How did you run QEMU?
I think you have to make sure to run with the right CPU model ("-cpu
e6500") and machine (likely "-M ppce500" ?).

 Thomas

* Re: Missing PVR setting capability
@ 2019-10-22 16:24   ` Wayne Li
From: Wayne Li @ 2019-10-22 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth; +Cc: KONRAD Frederic, qemu-ppc, qemu-devel

If I run "lsmod | grep kvm" nothing shows up but if I just do a "find .
-name "kvm"" I get the following:

./usr/src/kernel/Documentation/virtual/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/arch/arm/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/arch/arm64/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/arch/mips/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/arch/powerpc/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/arch/s390/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/arch/tile/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/arch/x86/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/drivers/s390/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/include/config/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/include/config/have/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/include/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/virt/kvm
./dev/kvm
./sys/devices/virtual/misc/kvm
./sys/class/misc/kvm
./sys/kernel/debug/kvm
./sys/module/kvm

I guess this shows my OS does have KVM on it?  I added the two flags you
mentioned when running QEMU (the -cpu and the -machine flags) but the -cpu
flag doesn't seem like it's doing anything as even when I put a clearly
wrong argument after the flag no error related to the cpu is thrown.  Also
it says ppce500 is not a machine type and that the supported machines are:

bamboo               bamboo
boeing-machine       Boeing Machine
none                 empty machine
ref405ep             ref405ep
taihu                taihu
virtex-ml507         Xilinx Virtex ML507 reference design

The one being used right now is boeing-machine which is clearly specific to
the project I am working on.  I'm not exactly sure what boeing-machine
refers to but I'll ask the person who wrote the code that specified that
machine,

@ 2019-10-22 16:27     ` Wayne Li
From: Wayne Li @ 2019-10-22 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth; +Cc: KONRAD Frederic, qemu-ppc, qemu-devel

And yes that is correct it has the e6500 core using PowerPC.

@ 2019-10-22 18:46     ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2019-10-22 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wayne Li; +Cc: KONRAD Frederic, qemu-ppc, qemu-devel

On 22/10/2019 18.24, Wayne Li wrote:
> If I run "lsmod | grep kvm" nothing shows up but if I just do a "find .
> -name "kvm"" I get the following:
[...]
> ./sys/devices/virtual/misc/kvm
> ./sys/class/misc/kvm
> ./sys/kernel/debug/kvm
> ./sys/module/kvm
>
> I guess this shows my OS does have KVM on it?

Alright, I guess that means that KVM compiled into the kernel ... should
be fine, I think.

>  I added the two flags you
> mentioned when running QEMU (the -cpu and the -machine flags) but the
> -cpu flag doesn't seem like it's doing anything as even when I put a
> clearly wrong argument after the flag no error related to the cpu is
> thrown.  Also it says ppce500 is not a machine type and that the
> supported machines are:
>
> bamboo               bamboo
> boeing-machine       Boeing Machine
> none                 empty machine
> ref405ep             ref405ep
> taihu                taihu
> virtex-ml507         Xilinx Virtex ML507 reference design

Oh, are you running qemu-system-ppc instead of qemu-system-ppc64? I
thought these e*500 CPUs are 64-bit? Is your host kernel 64-bit or 32-bit?

Anyway, if you're using a modified version of QEMU, you should
definitely ask the people who did the modifications there.

 Thomas

* Re: Missing PVR setting capability
@ 2019-10-31 20:26       ` Wayne Li
From: Wayne Li @ 2019-10-31 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)